Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: Pit Bull Dog bites, chases, anybody?

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,878
    My nephew has a three animal siblings. At 8 months old, it IS the Pit Bull that is his best buddy & protector. Raised right, LIKE ANY DOG, they are nothing short of sweet and innocent. Unfortunately it is the scum who abuse or neglect them in some way that cause the negative light to be shed. Once it was the Rotties and the Dobies. For now, the Pits. In a few years we will bully another breed.

    Taken from the link in my signature....
    PIT BULLS RECENTLY SCORED ABOVE 121 OTHER BREEDS IN TERMS OF TEMPERAMENT. MAYBE THAT’S WHY THEY WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOG.

    Posted on July 21, 2011 by admin
    24KShare



    For 2010/2011 the American Temperament Testing Society rated Pit Bulls above 121 other breeds of dogs. Above German Shepherds. Above Poodles. Above Golden Retrievers. Probably above your dog. Yet because of an epidemic of ownership by people who shouldn’t be trusted with a hamster (let alone a 60 lb. dog bred for tenacity) they have been vilified by the media and legislated against in many states and in our own military, of which through much of our history they were the symbol!
    Pit Bulls served this country’s children and it’s military with trustworthiness and bravery for 150 years, eventually earning the nickname “America’s Nanny Dog”. They have been repaid with a media smear campaign and the highest rate of euthanization of any other breed alive (an estimated 6,000 per day in the U.S. alone).
    It’s time we take back this breed; from the uninformed, from the sensationalist media, from the abusers, and put them back where they belong- with kids.
    PIT BULLS WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOGS FOR SO MUCH OF OUR HISTORY FOR A REASON…
    TO SOME OF US THAT REASON IS STILL COMPLETELY OBVIOUS!

  2. #52
    Senior Member Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,785
    I checked out the American Temperament Testing Society's list of breeds scores for their test and was surprised by the narrow range of scoring amongst breeds. I don't know how statistically significant the test is. It's probably more relevant to an individual animal than an accurate appraisal of breed temperaments.

    I disagree however with railing against the breed's bad press. Like Rottweilers and Dobermans, pit bulls have been widely adopted by people who want to use them to frighten and intimidate people. The reason why so many of them are destroyed is not due to bad PR, it's because of the intent and ignorance of their owners. The public has good reason to be leery when encountering a pit.

    I know many sweet pit bulls and my late beloved Welsh corgi was much more inclined to snap at someone then they are. But, he wasn't able to do anywhere near the damage that a pit bull can do. Let's face it you can't get around the fact that this breed was created to fight and kill animals. they are an intimidating breed no matter how sweet they are.



    Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    My nephew has a three animal siblings. At 8 months old, it IS the Pit Bull that is his best buddy & protector. Raised right, LIKE ANY DOG, they are nothing short of sweet and innocent. Unfortunately it is the scum who abuse or neglect them in some way that cause the negative light to be shed. Once it was the Rotties and the Dobies. For now, the Pits. In a few years we will bully another breed.

    Taken from the link in my signature....
    PIT BULLS RECENTLY SCORED ABOVE 121 OTHER BREEDS IN TERMS OF TEMPERAMENT. MAYBE THAT’S WHY THEY WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOG.

    Posted on July 21, 2011 by admin
    24KShare



    For 2010/2011 the American Temperament Testing Society rated Pit Bulls above 121 other breeds of dogs. Above German Shepherds. Above Poodles. Above Golden Retrievers. Probably above your dog. Yet because of an epidemic of ownership by people who shouldn’t be trusted with a hamster (let alone a 60 lb. dog bred for tenacity) they have been vilified by the media and legislated against in many states and in our own military, of which through much of our history they were the symbol!
    Pit Bulls served this country’s children and it’s military with trustworthiness and bravery for 150 years, eventually earning the nickname “America’s Nanny Dog”. They have been repaid with a media smear campaign and the highest rate of euthanization of any other breed alive (an estimated 6,000 per day in the U.S. alone).
    It’s time we take back this breed; from the uninformed, from the sensationalist media, from the abusers, and put them back where they belong- with kids.
    PIT BULLS WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOGS FOR SO MUCH OF OUR HISTORY FOR A REASON…
    TO SOME OF US THAT REASON IS STILL COMPLETELY OBVIOUS!
    Last edited by Wesley; 04-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Joan Rivers to David Letterman: I have a Pit Bull / Collie mix. Interesting breed! It bites your face off, then runs for help.
    Apparently Joan never saw this Collie....




  4. #54
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    My nephew has a three animal siblings. At 8 months old, it IS the Pit Bull that is his best buddy & protector. Raised right, LIKE ANY DOG, they are nothing short of sweet and innocent. Unfortunately it is the scum who abuse or neglect them in some way that cause the negative light to be shed. Once it was the Rotties and the Dobies. For now, the Pits. In a few years we will bully another breed.

    Taken from the link in my signature....
    PIT BULLS RECENTLY SCORED ABOVE 121 OTHER BREEDS IN TERMS OF TEMPERAMENT. MAYBE THAT’S WHY THEY WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOG.

    Posted on July 21, 2011 by admin
    24KShare



    For 2010/2011 the American Temperament Testing Society rated Pit Bulls above 121 other breeds of dogs. Above German Shepherds. Above Poodles. Above Golden Retrievers. Probably above your dog. Yet because of an epidemic of ownership by people who shouldn’t be trusted with a hamster (let alone a 60 lb. dog bred for tenacity) they have been vilified by the media and legislated against in many states and in our own military, of which through much of our history they were the symbol!
    Pit Bulls served this country’s children and it’s military with trustworthiness and bravery for 150 years, eventually earning the nickname “America’s Nanny Dog”. They have been repaid with a media smear campaign and the highest rate of euthanization of any other breed alive (an estimated 6,000 per day in the U.S. alone).
    It’s time we take back this breed; from the uninformed, from the sensationalist media, from the abusers, and put them back where they belong- with kids.
    PIT BULLS WERE AMERICA’S NANNY DOGS FOR SO MUCH OF OUR HISTORY FOR A REASON…
    TO SOME OF US THAT REASON IS STILL COMPLETELY OBVIOUS!
    I grew up with and took care of lots of dogs from Great Danes, Doberman Pinchers, 2 German Shepherds, Rottweiler, English Mastiff, 2 French Mastiffs, Italian Mastiff and, one Pitbull we named Ms. Piggy.

    She was the best people dog we ever had. Very sensitive around people and so gentle around babies she would hardly move when they were near. Sweetest dog we ever had. I think Pitbulls in general are sweet natured people oriented dogs and do think it's the way they are raised that can change that.

    That said, I do have to say that she was incredibly strong, nearly inured to pain and once she began an attack, nearly impossible to stop - she would go after possums. I love her and I miss her. Would I have her around adults, definitely, she never showed any agression towards people ever but if I had children would I have her near them? I don't know. As sweet as she was, if she were to attack, I don't think anything could stop her. I'd trust her with my life I don't know that I would trust her with some one else's.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Annabanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    way up north, Australia
    Posts
    563
    About 6 months ago our state (in Australia) bought in laws and pitbulls are now banned here. Up until 2 weeks ago, I worked at an animal shelter that had just started euthanising pitbulls, or anydog that was deemed to have pitbull in it. The legislation was bought in after there was a huge outcry when a pitbull somehow escaped the yard and got into a neighbours house and mauled a 3 or 4 yo girl to death, in her own home. I tend to agree that its the deed, not the breed, but think that special licences and training are needed to own such dogs. Very controversal over here.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post
    Apparently Joan never saw this Collie....


  7. #57
    Senior Member WM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Everywhere the circus goes
    Posts
    1,205
    To answer the original question---the dogs are freaked out by your wheelchair. Some dogs that are not accustomed to being around wc's are freaked out by them. It has nothing to do with the breed of the dog. It's your chair. They don't know what it is and is scares them. I would just avoid the area. No cafe is worth going through gang infested areas. I personally would be more afraid of the gang members than their dogs and would have already been avoiding the area simply because of that alone.

    There is too much misinformation about pit bulls in this thread and in the world in general. Any dog has the potential to be a problem if it's "owner" is an asshole. Everyone who wants to have an opinion should educate themselves first and watch the video that chick posted.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by WM View Post
    There is too much misinformation about pit bulls in this thread and in the world in general.
    I was looking into the possibility of adopting a Rottweiler mix puppy last month. The trouble is I couldn't tell from many photos that's what it possibly was, but when I read it, my heart sank. I didn't get the dog for various reasons, but I knew if my parents found out, that alone would cinch the idea of adopting him.

    I don't like the stereotypes regardings dog myself (Joan Rivers' joke I posted was just that--a joke). There are two types of people who create a negative stereotype of a dog: Those who fear the type from said reputation and those who get the type specifically because they want a ferocious animal, again based on said reputation. It's a cycle.

  9. #59
    Euthanize the fucking owners. Fucking politicians legislte the crapout of everything without knowing anything. Put the responsibility where it lies, the dipshit owners, dogs do what they're taught.

    ket
    Kindly,

    The Ketamine Kitty

    All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

    Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

    And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    Euthanize the fucking owners. Fucking politicians legislte the crapout of everything without knowing anything. Put the responsibility where it lies, the dipshit owners, dogs do what they're taught.

    ket
    I definitely agree. Dogs over people!

Similar Threads

  1. Reality bites
    By alan in forum Pain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •