Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Dog bites, chases, anybody?

Pit Bull Dog bites, chases, anybody?

I live in a border town full of gang member types.
    I travel by powerchair. I go 6.5mph in one and 7mph in another. Not fast enough to outrun a dog. ha

I have to go through some bad neighborhoods to get to town where I enjoy sidewalk cafes.

The dog of choice for latinos and others here are Pit Bulls. They are everywhere in my sidewalk travels. The gang types train their dogs to protect them. I see some bulls that are stranger friendly, but not many.

We have leash laws here.
    When I encounter a bull with it's owner on a sidewalk, the owner has to hold his dog back from me as I pass. Sometimes the owner can barely control his dog as it violently strains to get at me. Wow...those damn things really want me. A few times I've had a pit bull leashed to outdoor furniture drag the furniture with it trying to get at me, and then the owner grabbing the furniture to stop the event.

By law here, if a dog attacks a human, the owner goes to jail. That's too late. When I was AB, if a dog attacks me it dies. I've killed one and knocked another one out.

Now that I am in a wheelchair, these dogs want me more, where they would just ignore me before, when I was walking.

What do they want? My tires or me?

Has anybody here at CC been bitten by a dog in their wheelchair?

As my town gets more violent, these breed of dogs are epidemic! Sometimes the police shoot them under bad circumstances.

In the extreme
    I can duct tape an ice pick to the end of my cane with a thin collapsible newspaper tube over it to hide the shaft, (did that when AB, no biggie, it's the neighborhood), but for now I carry pepper spray. I have no sympathy for anything that attacks me. I do my best to avoid problems. So far so good, but it's gonna happen. Hope they bite my tires and not me.

What will they go for? Anybody know? Been bitten?

C3,4,5....no deltoids.

I love dogs and despise people that train their dogs to be aggressive.
    My nephew has had a pit pull for many years that is a honey, but I know the kind you talk about.
    There have been situations even in my tame city where they have gotten loose and attacked people for no reason.
    I imagine some just want to get at your wheels. Dogs that are not familiar with chairs usually are just confused by my husband's.
    If one were really after you pepper spray might not deter them. It would be better than nothing though.

Pit bulls are common in SC. It is rare that a month goes by without an attack on a person (usually a kid) occurs. I recall at least one on a bicycle getting bit trying to out run it. Usually when dogs come up to me, they start sniffing my legbag, which I wear on my calf. I could joke about it marking my territory but Pitt Bulls do not stop at one bite. It is a serious issue.

I got bit on the ass by a big grayhound type dog when I was a kid. I tried to outrun him on my bike. It was no match. In about two seconds it had me down in the gravel at the side of the road. Fortunately the owner was nearby. Of course, "it was the first time he ever bit someone."
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Sorry, but it's the people not the dog. I hate to see the bulls picked on because they are the popular dog right now for these people. I work in the shelter and perfectly good dogs get put down simply because of their breed and it makes me sad. I have been bit, but by a chihuahua twice and a beagle. Never a big dog.

but I am not traveling through your area. My neighbors poodle chases me and bites. The owners, well they say he hates "things on wheels". Stupid people don't need to own dogs, but there aren't laws against that.

I would say you and your wheels draw attention. Like a car, they need to chase it off or herd it. How is animal control in your area? Have you talked ot them about what to do? Here in our city limits we have to license the bully breeds and they must be muzzled even when out on a leash. I'd rather muzzle the damn poodles and chihuahuas though.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

By the way Shepherds don't stop at a bite, huskies don't stop at a bite, yorkies don't stop at a bite. Blame the humans, stop blaming the dog.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

The problem is that you never know what the dog was trained to do and the owner is seldom present during an attack. I have doubts about the assumption that it is entirely the owner's fault. In the limited number controlled Pitt Bulls I have observed, IMO their killing instinct is much closer to the surface than most other breeds. For instance, when playing with other dogs, the Pitt Bulls focus on going for the other's throat.

I would estimate that at least 9 out of 10 dog bite reports around here involve Pitt Bulls. The non- Pitt Bulls are usually part of a pack of strays. The only German Shepherd biting around here is done by the sheriff's canine corp dogs.

Regardless of whether it is a problem of owners or their Pitt bulls, it does not make street encounters safe.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

No dangerous dog laws there? No pit bulls, rottweilers or other assorted 'known to be aggressive' dogs allowed in Essex County, Ontario. This one hit the papers a week ago and is laughable (8lb chihuahua): http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Owne...711/story.html

I don't think I'd be aggressive back as in poking it with a stick, as that would provoke the dog to a further and more dangerous response.

I know a member here that was bit and had to undergo the series of rabies shots because they never found the owner. I believe the bite was on the leg between the knee and ankle. It became infected and caused all kinds of trouble.

When I had infected foot wounds, dogs went straight to sniffing my feet. They know as they have a keen sense of smell. If you have a wound, that's where I'd be worried.

If I were you, besides asking your town for more aggressive legislation, I would throw a milkbone one way and take off in the other direction. Sorry I don't have more constructive advice!

I also agree with Christy - it's the owners - but unfortunately what do you do once a dog has been trained to be dangerous. There were too many attacks against children with pit bulls here and that's how our laws started.

I had the same experience as SCI56 when I was a kid on a bike; tried to outrun a german shepard and he showed me who was boss as he tore my bicycle seat to shreds, lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    By the way Shepherds don't stop at a bite, huskies don't stop at a bite, yorkies don't stop at a bite. Blame the humans, stop blaming the dog.
    I agree, as stated in my post that it is the people.
    I've known some wonderful pits and it is a shame they get the bad dog rep.
    But it doesn't take away the fact that they are a very powerful dog and if a bad one gets after a person they can do a lot more damage than a yorkie.
    The OP lives in an area with irresponsible owners who may not be present if their dog gets loose. For him it is a very real possible situation.

Two things: carry a loud dog whistle (you can actually buy one that hurts teir ears) and second, carry a cattle prod.

I was attacked and bitten by a dog last year that had been left unattended and tied up outside a coffee shop (something that is against the law in the city where I live). Two dogs were tied up on long leashes right beside the door and the both lunged at me as I tried to enter the shop. One bite me twice just above my knee. To make a long story short, the owner was completely belligerent about it and actually threatened violence when the person I was with kicked the dog to get it off me. I ended up with a severe infection in my leg that took months to heal and went through the ordeal of the long and uncomfortable process of getting rabies shots after the owner refused to provide vaccination records. In the end, the dog was destroyed by a court order. I didn't want to see this happen, but the owner was completely uncooperative on all levels, even after the police and animal control officers got involved. If it attacked me like that, I think there is a risk it would have attacked again. And while I was sad to hear it had been put down, I didn't want to read in the paper the same dog attacked and hurt somebody's child. I never felt any anger towards the dog, even though the bite and ensuing complications caused me a lot of physical misery. Dog bites have all kinds of nasty bacteria and are dangerous. My anger was towards the owner who first of all didn't bother to ensure her dogs were controlled in public and then refused to take responsibilty after I was attacked and bitten. Her irresponsibility cost her dog his life. So I will agree that when dogs attack people it's often an owner issue, not a dog issue.
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-24-2012 at 04:24 PM.