Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Dog bites, chases, anybody?

OJ, I didn't know they had found the dog! Sorry to hear it was put down too, but that was the owner's fault. Plus, you're right .. what if it attacked a child next time?

Maybe the laws should start focusing on people (who qualifies to own these pets) and not the dogs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    OJ, I didn't know they had found the dog! Sorry to hear it was put down too, but that was the owner's fault. Plus, you're right .. what if it attacked a child next time?

Maybe the laws should start focusing on people (who qualifies to own these pets) and not the dogs.
    It took about several months but the animal control officer who took over the file eventually tracked her down through the coffee shop. We had a cell phone picture of the dog taken by another customer, but even with that it took a long time. I had pretty much given up on her being found, but I guess its a small neighbourhood and she was a regular there, even though she wisely avoided it for some time. Part of me was relieved that she was finally forced to take responsibilty for what happened, although its too bad that the dog was the one who actually ended up paying the price. The life of the other dog was spared, although it attacked me too. The only reason that one didn't bite me was simply because it was physically blocked by the other dog, who had his mouth clamped on my thigh. She did surrender it and last I heard a dog rescue society had taken it for rehabilitation and hoped to adopt it out. Hopefully it will find a home with a better person this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    By the way Shepherds don't stop at a bite, huskies don't stop at a bite, yorkies don't stop at a bite. Blame the humans, stop blaming the dog.
    Amen!

Take a look at my signature. People need to know a TRUE Pitbull b4 they judge them. They were bred to be nanny dogs thousands of years ago for goodness sake.

This is a good reason people with dogs need to socialize them around all types of people and situations. Different races, wheelchairs, canes, hats, etc. Best to do when they are very young puppies or preferably the first year though.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

True it's the humans at fault. I keep Dobies; another "bully breed" no bigger babies on the planet. Chihuahuas bite far more often that pits or dobies but when a big dog bites the consequences can be far more serious.

Instead of killing or maiming the dog with a spike stick which may anger the dog and provoke a stronger reaction before you can incompacitate it, how about a personal taser? Shock it and keep going.

I have issues with strays when I'm out alone. They do react to the wheels. Pearl is big enough to warn most strays away. That may potentially be an answer or a stronger draw for aggressive dogs.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Get some bear spray. The new stuff will shoot 25 feet and stop a bear, should work on the dogs. Might try a boat horn too. Most animals don't like loud noises.

I'll ask the obvious, do you know any dog commands in Spanish?

As others have said, defensive moves could make it worse. How about bringing dog treats? I used to do this when I ran and it always turned a vicious loose dog into my new best friend. Bring big treats...

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Bear spray X 2. Boat horns do work well, I use one to chase bears off.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I agree with others. It is not the Pit Bulls; it's the owners. So we shouldn't ban Pit Bulls; we should ban Pit Bull owners. Naw. Ban the Pit Bulls too.

I sometimes go wheelchair mushing at a park where homeless often reside and often have dogs, often Pit Bulls, and most likely unleashed. In this same area, a Pit Bull attacked a horse about two years ago. They had to kill the Pitt Bull to get it off the horse. I am planning on getting pepper spray.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

I was attacked by a German Shepherd when I was a kid. Same dog had threatened me many times and I'd avoided it by stopping cold and standing stock still for as long as it took for the dog to move on. The owners had bought the dog specifically because it had been trained to be a guard dog. After the attack, they gave the dog to some farmer , then pretended to forget whom they had given it to. When threatened with legal action, they miraculously regained their memories. I was spared rabies shots - barely.

As a result, I gained respect for any dog of any size that I do not know. I do not automatically fear them, but I respect them. I"ve met pit bulls that were gentle as lambs, and owned a chihuahua that woulda chewed off the ankles of eveyone who entered our home if we hadn't controlled him.

All about the owners... but that doesn't help if you're about to be attacked by one that wasn't raised right. If I were you, I"d definitely carry protection.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein