Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving

driving

on april 20th at noon i will be in South Bend, IN for my first appointment to work on getting myself and my van set up for me to drive. my injury is c5/c6 injured in august of 2009. i'm really wanting this to work out to be more independent.

Save yourself some future headaches and don't let them put everything on the van but the kitchen sink because they will try. Hand controls and a tri pin is all I have ever used. Those extra electronics mean an extra battery because main battery drains down and it goes on from there.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Hope u enjor your 420
    Remember to pass

I'm with Pete, I really don't think you need all that equipment that looks like the cockpit of a plane or race car. I remember being told I needed a harness thing to strap me in, I was like wtf, a seatbelt works fine for me. Driving is a necessity for me, I'm just thankful I can do it. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by larry1975 View Post
    on april 20th at noon i will be in South Bend, IN for my first appointment to work on getting myself and my van set up for me to drive. my injury is c5/c6 injured in august of 2009. i'm really wanting this to work out to be more independent.
    Hey man you'll be fine I am a c4-c5 and been driving a full sized Ford van for 25 years no problems at all. Just a chest belt, ez lock lockdown, spinner knob and hand controls. I also have a lowered floor, power side door and lift but it's all good. Go for it!
    ^^(A)^^

my van is a 2009 chrysler town & country it is side ramp entry with a lowered floor. power everything.

just did a truck, c5/6
    turney seat
    outrider for chair
    tri-pin @4 o-clock
    suregrips
    two buttons on door for turning signals & wipers/wash

keep it simple.

I mount my tri-pin at 6 o-clock. Makes for no effort and a comfortable feel when on hwy for me anyway.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Good luck Larry...hope you get on the road.

I really want to drive but am not sure I can...my injury is at c4/5 and is incomplete so I have wrist exstensors. Part of the issue is my spasms are pretty strong...I'd rather not crash...

Do muscle spasms ever get in the way of driving for anyone?

My spasms just bother me on long trips, when i am just sitting in one spot without moving my legs. I can also feel when a spasm is about to happen, so if no one is in back of me i just release the accelerator.