Thread: new sci

new sci

My name is steve polley. I was injured in jan. 9 of 2011. In a snowboarding accident. I had a L1 explosion which all the fragments hit and compressed my spinal cord.Also my spinal cord hemoragged. My doctor lists me as a complete injury and has told me i would never walk again. 6 months later i was transferring into the car i was actually able to stand straight up with out assistance.I was surprised and called my doctor he had me ome in and he noticed more muscles moving and twitching. a coupe weeks later my legs were moving with alot of weakness.
    We started a hard therapy session 2 days a week now im walking with only and AFO on my right leg. I have alot more strength in my left leg and its mostly back to normal but my right leg is affected way more. my doctor told me i injured my conus and cauda equina nerves. i read that if i had injured my conus both legs would be affected equally while if i injured my cauda equina only one side would be affected more than the other.is this correct. and can i expect more return of function. also my urologist had implanted an interstim unit to try to get return of function in my bladder because i have a flaccid bladder. its been a few months and now i have periodic accidents. is this a good sign

The Interstim is really not indicated for those with SCI, especially those with a flaccid bladder. It does not cause return of bladder function. It actually works by inhibiting bladder muscle contraction. Leakage at this point would most likely be due to overflow incontinence unless you are getting return. Regardless it sounds like you need to have urodynamics done to determine what is going on neurologically with your bladder.

Conus injuries are true cord injuries, while caudal equina is technically peripheral nerve, although damage to either can look much the same. At least in theory, there is more potential for return with cauda injuries therefore than with conus injuries.

Your injury is still pretty new. It is not unusual to get some return over the first 24 months. How much, and how long it will continue is impossible to say. You should have a new ASIA exam to determine your current degree of deficit, and if you can now be classified with an AIS score of C or D (motor incomplete).

(KLD)