Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hospital bills

hospital bills

my son, 22 years old, was injured nov 2011 in a wreck he is t12 l1 complete. we are from alabama and he spent two weeks in huntsville hospital and 6 weeks in shepherd rehab in atlanta. his hospital bill is 800,000.00. he has blue cross blue shield insurance and he was enrolled in medicaid while in the hospital. he said he was told he would have to pay 20% of the 800,000.00. does medicaid kick in and cover this or some of this. how is he going to even think about paying this? we barely have the funds to live on let alone try to pay 160,000.00 outside of insurance. does anyone have any information that can help us?

Banned
    Calling hospital accounts payable can really help. They have taken lots off discounts into my bills
    "God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things, right now i am so far behind i will never die"

Check to see if his insurance has a catastrophic injury limit. I have BCBS and my limit is 5k. Make sure not to pay any hospital bills until you have received an explanation of benefits from insurance. I received several 100k+ bills that turned out for me to owe only $750. I hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by ToastGuard; 02-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Most hospitals have Financial Counselors, with whom you should speak regarding these hospital bills. Above all, as" Toastguard" suggested, don't pay the hospital anything until you get Explanations of Benefits (EOB) statements from the insurance company(ies).

EOB statements will have the following parts:
    Date of Service and Provider
    Service Provided (By name and CPT code)
    Amount Billed
    Amount Approved or Allowed by the Insurance Company
    (This is usually an agreed upon rate with the insurance company and the provider)
    Amount Not Covered
    Amount Paid by Other Insurance
    Amount Paid to the Provider
    Deductible (You owe this amount before insurance begins to cover costs)
    Co-Pay (Usually a set amount for certain services)
    Patient Responsibility (Amount you actually owe after deductible, co-payments, and write offs)

I am sorry you have to go through this. Having a son, who suffered an accident and a devastating injury is difficult enough, but then having to deal with the high cost of care makes it very painful. Come back to the Care Cure Community often. There is a wealth of information here and good people to help you and your son through the confusion,questions, and concerns you will no doubt face in the coming months. Good luck to you.

All the best,
    GJ

Keep in mind that Medicaid is a state-run program, so it varies by the state. In my state (CA) Medicaid pays back to the date of injury as the secondary for anyone who quallifies, and SCI is an expedited condition. Financial counselors at the two hospitals should have explained this to you while you were there. If you didn't get to meet with them, then contact them now and discuss his situation and what accommodations might be made if this is not going to be covered by Medicaid.

(KLD)

One word: bankruptcy.
    Wife (8 years) to Chad (C4/5 since 1988), Mom to a Medium Boy, Owner of a Standard Poodle and a Pit Bull
    Blog: http://ItWasntFunnyAtTheTime.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    One word: bankruptcy.
    Had to do this because of cancer treatment bills, and I had insurance.

I hope Medicaid pays up and you find another way. Good luck, and I"m very sorry for your son's accident.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Don't overlook tax deductions for medical expenses. According to the IRS:
    If, for a taxable year, you itemize your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A, you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount by which your total medical care expenses for the year exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. For years beginning after December 31, 2012, you may deduct only the amount by which your total medical expenses exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. You figure the amount you are allowed to deduct on Form 1040, Schedule A.

Here is a link to Publication 502 (2011), Medical and Dental Expenses
    (Including the Health Coverage Tax Credit):
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/index.html
    Keep in mind these expenses may include: transportation and trip costs (including lodging and meals), nursing services, attendant care, equipment necessary for care (commode chair, patient lift),legal fees, Capital Expenses (You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent).

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by kimlynn1971 View Post
    my son, 22 years old, was injured nov 2011 in a wreck he is t12 l1 complete. we are from alabama and he spent two weeks in huntsville hospital and 6 weeks in shepherd rehab in atlanta. his hospital bill is 800,000.00. he has blue cross blue shield insurance and he was enrolled in medicaid while in the hospital. he said he was told he would have to pay 20% of the 800,000.00. does medicaid kick in and cover this or some of this. how is he going to even think about paying this? we barely have the funds to live on let alone try to pay 160,000.00 outside of insurance. does anyone have any information that can help us?
    Generally, Medicaid will pick up 100% of his co-pay, ie the 20%. Medicaid goes retrocative for 90 days from the time you qualify (date of accident generally).

I am assuming he qualified for Alabama Medicaid for his acute stay and then GA Medicaid once he arrived at Shepherd Center. I have known a number of families that have received GA Medicaid to cover their co-pays.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

And dont forget that the bill for 800K will get settled with BCBS for probably around less than 500K with their 'negotiated pricing', and the 20% will be based on the lower figure. Dont forget to dispute/appeal anything that was 'not covered' in the EOB's