Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nerve regeneration relief?

Nerve regeneration relief?

I had a SCI and a brain injury June of 2011. Up until a few months ago, I was taking Neurotin. That didn't seem to alleviate my nerve pain, and my doctor told me that Neurotin inhibits nerve regeneration so I stopped taking it a few months ago. I also apparently have an over-active bladder so I take Ditropan for that. I am weening off the Ditropan, but when I take it it causes a loss of apetite and sleep loss. For the sleep loss I am taking Trazedone and Ambien, but even those don't seem to put me to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issue?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate the nerve regeneration pain? I used to take oxycodone, but that does not actually kill the nerve pain it just dulls me. It also messes up your bowel and bladder, and I stopped taking that a couple of months ago. Lately, I have a lot of pain in my bladder, which I used to have when I had to urinate but lately I have the pain and when I catheter I barely get any urine. I read that vitamins B1, B6 and B12 as well as omega 3 fatty acids are good for nerve regeneration. I also discovered that Adderall (I am prescribed that for my ADHD) eliminates the nerve pain, but I cannot take that during bedtime. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain? Also, will this help at all:www.realfoodnutrients.com/neuropathy/home.htm

I don't have answers, but am curious as to what you drink and its relation to your bladder irritation. Have you tried eliminating caffeine? Or soda or certain fruit juices?

I've had - what feels like bladder pain - for what must be a week by now. I'm paralyzed from the waist down. I know I have an infection by the smell of my urine, even though it's fairly clear. At first I thought it was fleeting and would just go away.

It literally feels like there's a porcupine that 'just fits' in the size of my bladder!

I recently had surgery to correct some issues and am wondering if it's related (hysterectomy). Especially sensitive to what I drink anymore (maybe it's age with me though).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thank you. The pain is not in my bladder its actually in my penis. I only drink water and my urine is clear. I have not had the pain today, but I cannot smell so I'm not sure if I have an infection

Quote Originally Posted by mkm29 View Post
    I had a SCI and a brain injury June of 2011. Up until a few months ago, I was taking Neurotin. That didn't seem to alleviate my nerve pain, and my doctor told me that Neurotin inhibits nerve regeneration so I stopped taking it a few months ago. I also apparently have an over-active bladder so I take Ditropan for that. I am weening off the Ditropan, but when I take it it causes a loss of apetite and sleep loss. For the sleep loss I am taking Trazedone and Ambien, but even those don't seem to put me to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issue?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate the nerve regeneration pain? I used to take oxycodone, but that does not actually kill the nerve pain it just dulls me. It also messes up your bowel and bladder, and I stopped taking that a couple of months ago. Lately, I have a lot of pain in my bladder, which I used to have when I had to urinate but lately I have the pain and when I catheter I barely get any urine. I read that vitamins B1, B6 and B12 as well as omega 3 fatty acids are good for nerve regeneration. I also discovered that Adderall (I am prescribed that for my ADHD) eliminates the nerve pain, but I cannot take that during bedtime. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain? Also, will this help at all:www.realfoodnutrients.com/neuropathy/home.htm
    You aren't mixing the trazadone and ambient are you? My Dr. said that a big no no.

And as for the pain Morphine is a pretty good pain killer,and it makes me drowsy.

I am mixing the Trazedone and Ambien, which one should I take?

I was just doing a research on Neurotin as a considered choice for pain relief and it was mentioned it causes cavities. Anyway if it helps you, I just started taking Tramadol to help my pain issues, hasn't cut the pain totally but seems to help.

Also I am taking B12 shots, not sure if it is helping with the pain per say, but it does help with my energy & moods.

I used to take Neuotin three times a day (600mg dosage each). It didnt completely kill my nerve pain, but it did reduced it. Ive been taking it now for the last 3 days due to my bladder pain as I think my bladder is coming back and it does seem to help that. I did read that vitamins Methyl B-12, B2, B6 and D3, and Thiamine are good for nerve regeneration. Ususually Thiamine is flushed out of your system really quickly, but Benfotiamine is a version of Thiamine that does not get flushed out very fast. Instead of getting B12 shots you should look into Methyl B12 (Methylcobalamine).

mkm29. Hello, I am currently taking Lyrica (pregabalin:chemical name) and it is a wonderful addition to my current pain regimen. It is prescribed for severe nerve pain/damage, and is used as an anti-seizure medication as well. I am also on Klonopin and Oxycodone. The mixture has helped me so much, and I have horrible nerve pain. If you are interested, you could try looking into Lyrica. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope you feel better!
    Last edited by Rex Logan; 02-25-2012 at 03:09 AM.

To ~Maria, be careful with Tramadol, it is a horribly addictive drug. I know two people who have used it, after they tried getting off of this drug, they had severe withdrawal side effects. Even more than that of Opiates. So please be aware and be cautious. Good luck to you I hope you're pain gets managed to the best it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Logan View Post
    To ~Maria, be careful with Tramadol, it is a horribly addictive drug. I know two people who have used it, after they tried getting off of this drug, they had severe withdrawal side effects. Even more than that of Opiates. So please be aware and be cautious. Good luck to you I hope you're pain gets managed to the best it can be.
    Thank you Rex, I have read about that and frankly that did scare me, I will say that from what I read the ones that were addicted, appeared to be addictive type people, i.e. addicted to other drugs in the past and were abusing their doses, as well as taking other things they were not currently prescribed.

I experimented by not taking the dose for 6-hrs to see if I experienced withdrawal type symptoms --I didn't. I also would wait an hour or so before I took several of my doses --again no symptoms. Other than the obvious (I was in pain), I seemed to be ok. I also will say I have a gigantic bottle of hydro's and a small bottle of oxy's, as well as a whole host of other meds I have been on and off of over the past few years. Other than when I have been in wretching pain, I don't think about them and don't take them.

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread and should start a new one on the subject of Tram because I do want to hear from others. I am resigned to the fact I will have to take something the rest of my life, but would like to avoid my body being addicted.
    Last edited by ~Maria; 02-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.