Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pain meds tht wont make u gain weight

pain meds tht wont make u gain weight

ive been reading past threads and it seems the meds also put weight on does anyone have good meds without weight gain or can recemend any im goin to my doc in a few weeks and want to know some options
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I think for me I gain weight because I am sitting on my ass all day so my metabolism is shut off, who is blaming it on their meds?

I am with mike on this one.

I just don't see how if you pop a Lyrica pill you will wheel over to the fridge and eat 2 pieces of cake. See Steve Garro's posts for an example of a guy who works out as much as he can despite neuropathic pain and taking meds with listed side effects of weight gain - it is hard to do aerobic work with just your arms. You have to modify caloric intake and get as much exercise as your shoulder and elbow joints ( and you back) will allow - daily.

Body weight is based on caloric intake versus calories burned.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post

I just don't see how if you pop a Lyrica pill you will wheel over to the fridge and eat 2 pieces of cake. See Steve Garro's posts for an example of a guy who works out as much as he can despite neuropathic pain and taking meds with listed side effects of weight gain - it is hard to do aerobic work with just your arms. You have to modify caloric intake and get as much exercise as your shoulder and elbow joints ( and you back) will allow - daily.

Thank you. However I also now feel the need to possibly even contradict my post. As arndog also stated it's all related to caloric intake. It does not matter what I take because I'm not going to run to the fridge and eat more. In fact I do not even eat every day and I've gained 20 pounds since my sci. Now my wife on the other hand has a bat habit of sleep eating when she takes an ambient before bed. If she takes an ambien the next morning the peanut butter jar will be sitting on the counter and there will be other evidence that she got up and made herself a snack. So I guess that I am forced to say that possibly ambient can cause weight gain in certain people. But only people that sleep eat.

I am taking Tramadol, 50 mg 4x's daily, it has not caused me to gain any weight. Matter of fact it actually curbs the appetite, I force myself to eat most the time. I am not exactly 'pain-free' from the med, but it is an improvement over what I was dealing with before Tram. No other side effects to report, so far I am 2-weeks into taking and doing ok with it.

Topomax will take the weight off of you quick.

Topomax will help with the weight, but comes with some other really bad side effects. I took the stuff for four months, it made me a complete blooming idiot by week three, I couldn't form a sentence, I couldn't think of names for people or things (like.....I am going to get in my car <--couldn't think of what to call the car), I would forget what I was doing 2-seconds after I started doing it, etc. If that wasn't bad enough, by week six, it also causes your hair to fall out in clumps, globs, and once you stop it all never grows back.

Wellbutrin would be a better choice, but it has to be the name brand and the XL, for some reason the generic is missing some property and doesn't work right.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    Topomax will take the weight off of you quick.
    does it help the pain too

ive been getting bad pain lately and lrica post all seemed to be weight gainers

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post

i handcycle 25 miles a day when its not freezing out and use a vitaglide an hour and ahalf a day plus bowflex so i get plenty of excise just wasnt sure bout lyrica and wanted some options to suggest to doc

Topomax is probably the only neuropathic pain med that actually is associated with weight loss. This is caused by decreased appetite.

Topomax can be effective for neuropathic pain, but is not a "first line" pain medicine. But if other meds are not effective or side effects are not tolerable, it is something to try. The most common complaint is that it makes you feel tired/more confused etc... People knick-name it "Dopemax". But not everyone has these problems, and if it works for you.... great! You have to have your blood monitored periodically on this one. And there is a long list of side effects, including some heart ones and birth defects if you are a pregnant young woman.

Topomax is actually one of the components of a new "weight loss pill" that the FDA is thinking of approving (combo of Topomax + an amphetamine). This was kind of shocking to me, as Topomax has a lot of side effects. It tells you how desperate we are in this country to get people to loose weight, that the FDA would even consider passing this. They FDA already rejected approval of it once.

I wouldn't favor trying Lyrica if you haven't tried Neurontin already. Lyrica was supposed to be the "new Neurontin" with fewer side effects, but it has actually been shown to be more sedating with more edema/weight gain then Neurontin. Newer isn't always better. The main down side of Neurontin is that most people get more benefit if they take it 3-4 times per day, which is less convenient.