Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Airlines and sci

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    I find it really very brave and admirable of you to be able to have the courage to do an International flight alone.

I just can't bring myself to do that. That really is quite amazing..I saw you post about this before.
    you can do it! just takes perseverance. actually, you should be able to get bathroom help in one way or another (onboard chair, accessible bathroom or a FA willing to help).

do you get AD a lot? from what? you can always have meds for that onboard.

the flight is tough, but it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    you can do it! just takes perseverance. actually, you should be able to get bathroom help in one way or another (onboard chair, accessible bathroom or a FA willing to help).

do you get AD a lot? from what? you can always have meds for that onboard.

the flight is tough, but it's worth it.

I may have to one day..I do take a carry on with ad meds in it..but the scary part is..I would need help to figure out/relieve cause. I use foley on planes..so I need someone to empty bottle--on long trip ..at least twice.

I will let you know if I ever have to go it alone! me, my carry on, and my freewheel lol!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

you are trying to use your disability, imo, for something you don't need and anybody who does that, imo, makes it harder for those who do need it.
    Everyone does this. I do this. It's human nature to take advantage of every opportunity to better one's situation, long or short-term. Your frustration is justified, but I don't believe Mike deserves to be chastised.
    SCI sucks; why not take every perk you can get?

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    the scary part is..I would need help to figure out/relieve cause. I use foley on planes..so I need someone to empty bottle--on long trip ..at least twice.

I'm not going to pretend I know your exact physical and emotion situation, but here's my 2 cents...
    • Can't you bring a few leg bags and change them when needed? Two 32oz bags should be plenty to make a 12 hour flight if you manage your fluids right.
    • I've cathed in my seat before. I've asked for a blanket form the flight attendant and told the person sitting next to me, "I'm going to do some weird medical thing that might make you uncomfortable. You may want to take this opportunity to stretch your legs." This is easiest if you get a window seat.
    • I've also scooted on my butt to the lavatory. It's easy to get there since you're often in the closest seat, but folding yourself into a pretzel to fit is a challenge.
    • Flight attendants are very helpful. If you give them a list of AD symptoms and ask them to just check in with you every hour, they would. It's their job to make sure everyone has a safe and comfortable trip.
    Don't let your injury make you afraid of what you want. The only way to know for sure is to try.

i'm sorry. but you did post you wanted upgrade for free drinks, better food and because it makes you feel special. you are trying to use your disability, imo, for something you don't need and anybody who does that, imo, makes it harder for those who do need it. my experiences are not unusual. i have been placed in first class a few times (domestically), but i didn't ask for it. it is far from the norm. to answer your question: no, it is not SOP for any airlines to put you in first because you show up in chair. nor should it be.

btw, a roundtrip first class ticket via qantas from LAX to Sydney is around $25,000. do you have that much to spare?

and no, i'm not talking parking or pre-boarding.
    So then I was correct when I said that you don't think that I shouldn't get a disability placard for parking or get to board a plane first,because your right, I don't need it, and I'll bet that when a lll of the handicapped spaces are full someplace then you find another spot and make do, so neither do you. And no I don't have $25,000.00 to spare, but I'm also not planning to fly to Sydney. Hell with my current financial situation the trip I'm planning to take to Louisiana is pushing it, but if I couldn't afford it and it was medically dangerous for me to fly, and I just had to go to Sydney, which is avery nice place I might add, I'd find a cheaper alternative that I could afford and that would not risk my health like by boat.

Oops missed the no about parking or pre boarding until after the repel. oh well.

Nevermind, You have your opinion, and I have mine. I don't think my question was wrong you do. Get over it, I already have.