Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greasing wheel axles??

keep the axles clean especially the locking mechanism on the end. WD-40 works great. Then wipe them off. Dirt, grit, etc. stick to grease and oil. That is why it turns black and makes a real mess on your clothes and hands. Then the stuff get pushed into the axle retaining hole and gums up the works in there. Not only that, it dirties your clean axle.

If you need to lube anything on the wheelchair like arm rests, I suggest using paraffin. It works well and is much less messy.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Never used any type of lube on any wheels and never had a problem, I do pull them out and wipe them clean every couple of weeks but that's it. I've had a problem with them not wanting to slide in before only to find one of my wife's hair wrapped around it. Removed it and all was good.
    Most everything I say is

Tri-Flow dry teflon lubricant every couple of weeks. Clean, lubricate, reinsert, wiggle around, clean again, lubricate.

Quote Originally Posted by jdugmore View Post
    I learned a long time ago that rubbing the axles with steal wool works great. Sounds odd, but it removes any build up on the metal.

Putting grease, oil, or anything else on them just makes a mess when popping on and off.
    Many years ago I used to Brillo the axles clean. My local bike shop tech ordered me to stop doing that because, I think he said, the steel wool removes bits of the metal, which over time, will compromise its fit. Better, he said, to use a citrus grease solvent.

Now, I don't apply any lubricant at all. The axles are mostly dry. The bushings are the component part that needs lubrication (of course, they're sealed and don't necessarily require additional lubrication), not the axles.

Blog Entries
    I give them a shot of WD40, and then wipe it off - gets rid of all of the crud that builds up. I also run a swab through the receiver on the camber tube.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I was told not to use WD40 on the axles. It can get into wheel bearings and de-grease them, (bad thing!).
    Funnily enough a light spray of "Pledge" wood polish does the job for me.
    Not sure if you have that in the States though?

I take the axles out of the wheels, spray whatever degreaser I have handy, and then buff dry with a soft cloth.

I've tried the full range of lubricants and greases - including gobs of wheel bearing grease. Nothing seems to work pretty good. But be sure to polish them boys up as needed. I too have had to pound out an axle from a camber tube. Absolutely NO fun.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Many years ago I used to Brillo the axles clean. My local bike shop tech ordered me to stop doing that because, I think he said, the steel wool removes bits of the metal, which over time, will compromise its fit. Better, he said, to use a citrus grease solvent.

You only have to do it one time or when axles dosen`t want to get in because they have some irregularity in the surface, is not for clean them, for that use toilet paper or a cloth.

I don`t use absolutly nothing, i try to keep as dry as posible my axles and bushings for don`t get dirty my clothes with the chair and wheels when i pick them in&out from the car.

Axles and bushings don`t need to be lubricant, because wheels bearings are want do the job, axles don`t do nothing, just keep wheel in place.

Quote Originally Posted by brython2 View Post
    I was told not to use WD40 on the axles. It can get into wheel bearings and de-grease them, (bad thing!).
    Funnily enough a light spray of "Pledge" wood polish does the job for me.
    Not sure if you have that in the States though?
    WD40 is mostly a solvent that quickly evaporates. It is really not intended to serve as a lubricant for that reason. For axles, it is a good cleaner, especially for the locking and release mechanisms. It, along with any dirt it loosens, should be wiped away. You would have a hard time getting the WD40 into the bearings even if you sprayed it at them because most wc bearings used these day are sealed. I always popped my axles out out of the wheel when I cleaned them.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/