Thread: Sharp Pinching sensation over surgical insicion

Question Sharp Pinching sensation over surgical insicion

So, last night I was laying in bed fairly straight and all of a sudden I felt a sharp pinching over my hernia insicion site. I ran my hand over it to try to relieve the feeling and I honestly thought I was running my hand over staples. I had to remind myself that there haven't been staples there since September. I then looked at it and I could see the peaks and valleys in my skin. I pulled down on my skin to see if they would smooth out and it just made the elevations much more prominent. I called the surgeon and the nurse that answered said she was sorry but she wasn't familiar enough with my case. All she could tell me is it is a concern if I am having bladder or bowel issues, throwing up, or in pain. I told her that I have been in pain from the surgery since it was done and have thrown up a few times because I'm always so nauseous, not to mention the fact that I'm a para and my bathroom habits are not normal anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

no suggestions, but I hope it is not serious, and that your pain is better than it was.
    so glad they found the problem in your belly. did they use mesh under the skin?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    no suggestions, but I hope it is not serious, and that your pain is better than it was.
    so glad they found the problem in your belly. did they use mesh under the skin?
    Jody,
    Unfortunately the pain is not better. The raised areas are a little lower but the pain is just the same . I am debating calling the service or going to the ER. I just don't know if I am getting worked up over nothing. I really could used some advice!!!

Becky
    PS, yes the mesh is under the skin
    since 1/3/04

It almost sounds like the mesh is trying to work its way out through your skin, which would make sense since you're allergic to it - your body might be trying to expel it, in much the same way that a splinter festers and eventually comes to the surface. I don't know if this is what is happening, but given the sharp pain and those raised areas, I think it would be a good idea to have it looked at - there's just no way of knowing what's going on, otherwise. You have had such an awful time with that mesh and I know you're trying really hard to get through school before having it removed - what a dilemma, I'm really sorry you can't find relief from this in the interim.

(Edited to add: Do you have a fever? Is there any redness around the incision site? If you have any signs of inflammation, locally or systemically, definitely see a doctor.)
    Last edited by Bonnette; 02-22-2012 at 06:31 AM.

They have commercials in my area for lawsuits and the mesh used to treat hynerias...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Iv seen the mesh used in many surgeries on horses and cattle, rarely the mesh is rejected.

There would be redness, puffy, and eventually fluid seepage as the skin breaks down. the skin discolors, and gets dark as it breaks down.

if it is fairly new though, it takes a while for tissue to grow through the mesh, and the growing tissue can itch or stab like nerve pain. the tissue builds up in the little holes in the mesh.
    With horses, you sometimes get what they call proud flesh. that is an abundance of scar tissue, that may grow to look lumpy. I don't know if people can get proud flesh, as scar tissue but I imagine it is possible. you can often see a pattern of the mesh in the scar tissue on horses and cattle, and even a line that shows the edges of the mesh patch.

I was so hoping they had found a remedy to your pain. that would leave me hope that they might figure out what is wrong with me.

It is true - rarely is the mesh rejected. And it does take a little while for the tissue to grow in. It could be uncomfortable or down right painful. It depends on how the tissue is laying down.

If you have any of the following signs, then you need to see a doctor as soon as possible: fever? redness around the incision site? signs of inflammation?

CKF

Becky, how long ago was your surgery? I've had 2 c-sections, a hernia, and appendix surgeries. All 4 times I experienced sharp intense pain during the healing process. It felt like someone was holding a blow torch to my skin. All 4 times I healed just fine. I'm not sure if, in your case, this is just the healing process or not. I do know that when your body is cut surgically, it hurts like hell while healing.

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to update. I have been in the hospital since Wednesday. The surgical site was inflamed and red so I went to the ER. Glad I did too because the site was starting to get infected. I wasn't having any drainage yet, luckily! I think I would have lost it if that had started happening.
    I am still in a great deal of pain in the area but the raised areas are much smaller now.
    Thanks to all!!

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Thanks for the update, Becky, so glad you went to the ER!