Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pain meds an AD

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I started taking 10mgs. of amitriptyline at bed time 4 days ago.
    Note: In addition to the amitriptyline, I have been taking 100mgs. of tramidol 4x a day for shoulder pain.
    Were you taking the tramidol all along, or did you start it when you started the amitriptyline?

Off label uses for amitriptyline (Elavil):
    * Chronic pain: Amitriptyline works best for chronic pain that is nerve-related, such as nerve pain from having shingles (including postherpetic neuralgia).

* Anxiety disorders: Many antidepressants (including amitriptyline) are used to treat anxiety disorders.

* Bedwetting: Amitriptyline has been used to help people stop bedwetting.

* Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Amitriptyline can be used to treat ADHD, especially if other ADHD medications have not been effective or have caused side effects.

* Fibromyalgia: Amitriptyline has been used to treat pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia (see Fibromyalgia Symptoms).

* Prevention of migraine headaches: Amitriptyline can be used on a daily basis to prevent migraine headaches. Amitriptyline is not effective at treating a migraine headache once it starts.

* Treatment for bulimia: Amitriptyline has been found to improve symptoms of bulimia, including binge eating and vomiting.

* Smoking: Amitriptyline is sometimes used to help people quit smoking.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Were you taking the tramidol all along, or did you start it when you started the amitriptyline?

All the best,
    GJ
    Been using tramidol 3-4 years.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

SCI55~ I have chronic AD from pain. It has been a series of experiments and mixtures of various classifications of medications to help reign in the AD.

I am glad you found your solution quickly and hope it keeps working.
    From what you have described, has anyone done a workup for gastricparisis?
    It is when the pyloric valve in the stomach fails to open and or spasms. It is very painful when it flairs.

Just a thought---aging SCI's tend to develop it.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Glad something is helping and quality of life is back to better!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    has anyone done a workup for gastricparisis?
    It is when the pyloric valve in the stomach fails to open and or spasms. It is very painful when it flairs.
    Gastroparesis is delayed emptying/decreased or failed functioning of the stomach. The term is also used to refer to functioning of the entire digestive system sometimes. There are a lot of causes in addition to valves.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 03-13-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    SCI55~ I have chronic AD from pain. It has been a series of experiments and mixtures of various classifications of medications to help reign in the AD.

I am glad you found your solution quickly and hope it keeps working.
    From what you have described, has anyone done a workup for gastricparisis?

Just a thought---aging SCI's tend to develop it.
    I have had a complete GI checkout and everything seems to be normal.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm a C5-C6 quad and a couple of years ago I was getting AD when I laid down flat. It took quite a while to figure out what was wrong and I slept at 30° to avoid AD. After a bazillion tests one doctor noticed something on my spine when he was looking at a KUB. An MRI was ordered but they had to put me under general anesthesia to get it done because of course I couldn't lay down flat. They tried to give me morphine on my first MRI attempt but my BP was about 230/120-ish when they finally got me out and checked it. I barely fit in the MRI machine under general anesthesia and they didn't think they'd be able to get the lumbar area but my wife screamed "just grease him up and shove him in because we have to get the lumbar area". They put some Crisco on the little piggy and got it done. I'm grateful I wasn't awake to experience it!

Bottom line the MRIs showed a stenosis at L2 and L3 and I ended up having decompression surgery in that area. Then a fusion from T10 to L4. My body had already auto-fused everything below L4. That fixed the AD problem when laying down flat so if you're having AD below your injury be sure to check out your spine. You might have something cooking there especially if autonomic dysreflexia is going through the roof.