Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles on your handcycle?

How many miles on your handcycle?

I have a heart monitor and usually leave the display on one particular setting, but was cycling through yesterday only to discover that I have 3800 miles on the odometer.

I bought the bike in 1993 and installed this computer around 2005-06 which means I put on about 600 miles per year. This is all on a trainer because I don't live in a bike-friendly area.

As someone who only tracks heart rate and not speed or mileage I thought it was interesting. So how many miles are on yours?

I could not do 10 miles on a trainer I do not think... That said on the cycle I use the most I have put in over 8000 miles in the last three years. With a little over 4000 since 6/22/11. Keep in mind I cycle every day and do a lot of what ppl would drive a car to do on my cycle. I am confident that on a trainer I would just stop, I have to be outside with changing secenery(sp) or going somewhere. I do not have the self disapline(sp?) to do anything like that on a trainer...

Around 4-5k miles a year...

5291 miles since June 2010

I wonder if Patrick M has kept up with the miles over the years? I have been cycling for 18 years and I could not tell you how many from the earlier years. I have 8215 on one 7000 plus on one and maybe 100 on the one I really need to get busy on so 15000 plus in recent years I am guessing the last eight and the first 10 would just be a guess....

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I could not do 10 miles on a trainer I do not think... That said on the cycle I use the most I have put in over 8000 miles in the last three years. With a little over 4000 since 6/22/11. Keep in mind I cycle every day and do a lot of what ppl would drive a car to do on my cycle. I am confident that on a trainer I would just stop, I have to be outside with changing secenery(sp) or going somewhere. I do not have the self disapline(sp?) to do anything like that on a trainer...
    Do you carry a chair with you?

I don't live in the most handcycle friendly place, but if I can sort out how to haul a chair with me, I'd probably cycle to school every once in a while. As it is I sometimes push to school in the chair. It's hilly, but running a handcycle up a smoothly paved street probably beats doing the same hills in a wheelchair with half an inch of ground clearance across these mother F#$(^*! sidewalks made of broken bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I wonder if Patrick M has kept up with the miles over the years? I have been cycling for 18 years and I could not tell you how many from the earlier years. I have 8215 on one 7000 plus on one and maybe 100 on the one I really need to get busy on so 15000 plus in recent years I am guessing the last eight and the first 10 would just be a guess....
    LOL, I'm slowing down a bit DJ but trustfully will get in 2000 to 2,400 this year, thanks to the powerpod.

Used to do a min. of 2500 years past. Add that to the last 36 yrs of riding, that's a lot of miles. Most was done on the same roads. I've seen the pups grow old to be replaced by newer pups that grew old so many times. I sometimes feel like I'm riding in a maze; just unconciously take that right or left.

Love it still; hope I can do it to the last day. I trust you guys will also.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Do you carry a chair with you?

I don't live in the most handcycle friendly place, but if I can sort out how to haul a chair with me, I'd probably cycle to school every once in a while. As it is I sometimes push to school in the chair. It's hilly, but running a handcycle up a smoothly paved street probably beats doing the same hills in a wheelchair with half an inch of ground clearance across these mother F#$(^*! sidewalks made of broken bricks.
    Well when I first got into cycling it was with an attachment and I have been using it for most of those miles so I can just pop it off and I am in my chair. There is a product called wheelchair buddies that would let you haul your chair, I think bike-on still sells them. I really need to be doing about 100 miles a week on my LC 1 but I need to work a few things out and it is just so easy to attach and go no transfers or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    LOL, I'm slowing down a bit DJ but trustfully will get in 2000 to 2,400 this year, thanks to the powerpod.

Used to do a min. of 2500 years past. Add that to the last 36 yrs of riding, that's a lot of miles. Most was done on the same roads. I've seen the pups grow old to be replaced by newer pups that grew old so many times. I sometimes feel like I'm riding in a maze; just unconciously take that right or left.

Love it still; hope I can do it to the last day. I trust you guys will also.
    I hear you it is easy to get in a pattern I have people that think I am not out cycling if I do not go by their house. I have a number of different routes I will ride so when I switch a different set of people think I am not out...I still will take off and ride to Kanappolis, a 48 mile day and once last summer Charlotte that was an 87 mile day...If things line up right the week after Easter I may try cycling to the coast and stay 3 days then cycle back. That would be a 9 day trip. I am right there with you wanting to cycle right up to the end. Cycling was and is a game changer for me when it comes to SCI

Having ridden pre SCI and doing ultra distance racing where we logged a lot of miles, since, my SCI, I would log hours and HR. I guess the top guys log watts and hours and hr now a days.

It seemed that hours/week was the best training volume measurement I could come up with. 12 - 16 hours/wk is mighty good. Good things happen. Plus, in Reno there is no such thing as a flat ride, it is all hills, which drops one's avg speed for a ride. I also would look at annual training volume - 400- 600 hours/year type thing since I did different sports (hand cycling and nordic sit skiing).

Dado, captain, dj, pat, brian - those are strong numbers you are putting up.