Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: How many miles on your handcycle?

  1. #11
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Having ridden pre SCI and doing ultra distance racing where we logged a lot of miles, since, my SCI, I would log hours and HR. I guess the top guys log watts and hours and hr now a days.

    It seemed that hours/week was the best training volume measurement I could come up with. 12 - 16 hours/wk is mighty good. Good things happen. Plus, in Reno there is no such thing as a flat ride, it is all hills, which drops one's avg speed for a ride. I also would look at annual training volume - 400- 600 hours/year type thing since I did different sports (hand cycling and nordic sit skiing).

    Dado, captain, dj, pat, brian - those are strong numbers you are putting up.
    I think the training that you and the OP are talking about take much more discipline and you are right about the hills, rolling hills around here so not the same kind of workout. I love cycling down at the coast the only hill is going over the bridge between Oak Island and Southport.

  2. #12
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,109
    You guys have some serious miles on your bikes. I'm only on it 5-6 months out of the year because of my schedule, which is too bad for my general fitness level. Would love to live in an easily bikeable area.


    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I think the training that you and the OP are talking about take much more discipline.
    I have a TV set up in front of the trainer. No dicipline necessary.

  3. #13
    I have put thousands of miles on my handcycle.....(60 just this weekend).....but, I might have had some help...

    I do love it though. Even when its cold I just get wrapped up and go off-road for a while.

    I am fitter in February than I ever used to be....

  4. #14
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I have put thousands of miles on my handcycle.....(60 just this weekend).....but, I might have had some help...

    I do love it though. Even when its cold I just get wrapped up and go off-road for a while.

    I am fitter in February than I ever used to be....
    I ride year round....

  5. #15
    I ride year round also. Coldest was 17 degrees.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Dado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    161
    That's right, Arndog! I ride, most of the time, on flat courses, averaging 8-10 hours/week. My goal is to ride 10-12hours/week year round, but it's difficult for me since I'm in a full-time job and have other off-work activities.

    Maybe I'll win the lottery some day and start being a full-time cyclist

    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Having ridden pre SCI and doing ultra distance racing where we logged a lot of miles, since, my SCI, I would log hours and HR. I guess the top guys log watts and hours and hr now a days.

    It seemed that hours/week was the best training volume measurement I could come up with. 12 - 16 hours/wk is mighty good. Good things happen. Plus, in Reno there is no such thing as a flat ride, it is all hills, which drops one's avg speed for a ride. I also would look at annual training volume - 400- 600 hours/year type thing since I did different sports (hand cycling and nordic sit skiing).

    Dado, captain, dj, pat, brian - those are strong numbers you are putting up.

  7. #17
    Senior Member brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I ride year round also. Coldest was 17 degrees.

    How do you avoid frostbite on your toes?
    Our winters are a little different here, but there are plenty of people with fat tires that bike in 0-degree weather through drifts of snow. Sadly, I'm not one of them.

  8. #18
    Never thought about it Brian; just went out and rode. No snow, just a cold, clear, crisp day. Was neat having the fog coming out with the breath. Felt like an old steam locomotive.

Similar Threads

  1. how many miles
    By redroc2 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 12:16 AM
  2. Miles for Miracles
    By xiamenmom in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 01:59 AM
  3. 100 miles in 10 days (handcycle)
    By crashmoto in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 01:31 AM
  4. More miles to go for Dawicki
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
  5. 270 Miles Toward Recovery
    By Max in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2002, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •