Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxycodone

Oxycodone

I was prescribed this in a 5mg dosage after my hysterectomy surgery in November .. the instructions were to take one or two every four to six hours. I needed it after surgery.

When I came home a week after surgery, I'd take one or two a week until I asked my home GP for another prescription in December. He prescribed 60 pills.

I have 3 left. I took them for the first week I was back at work (mid-January) and then eased off of them taking none for two weeks.

Last week my body was hit with pain all over - in my joints, muscles .. I'm so lethargic. My memory must be fuzzy because I missed work on Sunday! (Though I have no concrete schedule and am set to work different days of the week - I mixed up next week's schedule for this week).

It's achy all over like when you have the flu ... I see a nurse tomorrow but could this mean my body is now craving oxy? I must admit that when I take it at night to help me sleep (because of the aches and pains of the day), I am ready and rearing to go the next day. I'm getting to the point where I'd hate to have to be without it.

Incidentally, Ontario has elected to take oxycontin (I assume this does not include oxycodone) right off the shelves with a lot of red tape on docs as well as patients to get it now. I assume this is going to affect a large population of Ontarian-Canadians here who might be under the Ontario Drug Benefit System. It's dunzo by the end of the month.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Fall...878/story.html
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer It is very sad that these important medications are being pulled out
    I get disgusted because those of us like you , me , others who have legitame reasons suffer

It is happening here also I sympathize with you

The sad part is that they hit the province's poorest and sickest by banning it from the ODBP (Ontario Drug Benefit Program).

I am able to get my drugs via my employer's benefits .. but no doubt insurance companies here take their cues from the province.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

I don't think that 60 5mg oxys since December would put you in withdrawal. It could be more that you simply are still in a lot of pain and still need to take them. FWIW, I have a script for oxy and I find taking two advil with one makes them a lot more effective.

Thanks, that makes me feel better because I was starting to worry. Not only am I the queen of pressure sores, but I'm the queen of worry too. Down to two now, lol.

And I can't sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Thanks, that makes me feel better because I was starting to worry. Not only am I the queen of pressure sores, but I'm the queen of worry too. Down to two now, lol.

And I can't sleep!
    Sleeping is for wimps!

You should seriously look into asking your doctor about a long term script for oxy or maybe methadone. Look, we ain't no spring chickens and SCI is just hard on the body so there is bound to be some somatic pain you are going to deal with the rest of your life. I don't see the point in suffering because some asshats abuse the drugs that can help us live a more comfortable life.

I doubt that it is withdrawal, but you don't say whether or not you take anything else for pain. Do you try motrin or tylenol first, then the oxy? Or do you have enough pain that you go straight to the oxy?
    CKF

I don't think you took them long enough....and the way you were takng them.....it just sounds like you might need something for pain and sleeping once in awhile. Probably why you felt better and ready to work the next day was you had gotten a good nights sleep! Getting the rest you need can make all the difference!

I don't understand taking the drug off the shelves.....why? what good will it do?

Nyquil.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Benadryl. 2 @ bedtime.