Thread: Wheelchair wheels

Wheelchair wheels

Anyone know who carries the most inexpensive rear wheels? Looking for
    24 x 1 3/8. Don't need anything fancy. Just basic. My hub broke. Would I be better off replacing the hub or buying the whole wheel?

Replacing the hub would probably be cheaper than whole new wheels regardless of what kind of wheels you currently have. But I'm not sure if your spokes would also need replaced.

Unless of course you're wanting to upgrade at some point, but it doesn't sound like it.

Do you have a DME? Was your chair paid for out of pocket or by insurance? If insurance, they should cover needed repairs. I would talk to where you got your chair from. If you paid out of pocket, then I would try finding the replacement part through the manufacturer or sportaid.com. Others have said they've contacted sportaid about parts not listed online and they got the parts for them. If you get the part out of pocket I'm sure a local bike shop can do the work for you.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

If you buy a hub (here for example), a bike shop will rebuild your wheel a lot cheaper (not to mention better) than a DME. Check with a bike shop first - they may not be able to provide the spokes you might need - you might need to buy the spokes elsewhere, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Look through the for sale stuff on this site and Ebay. You may be able to find something at a deal.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    would be a good time for a new wheel set. Otherwise it would need to be a replacement hub of the same kind/manufacturer. Running 2 different wheels or hubs would probably screw chair handling up quite a bit.

Definitely talk to your dealer first. This item should be covered by your insurance, in which case, replace both wheels complete.

Wheelchair Wheels

I have no insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    would be a good time for a new wheel set. Otherwise it would need to be a replacement hub of the same kind/manufacturer. Running 2 different wheels or hubs would probably screw chair handling up quite a bit.
    As long as they are the same size it won't hurt. I've had flats and ran on with different types of wheels for months at a time when I was too broke to buy a replacement tube (yes I know how cheap they are but I've lived on Ramen noodles and potted meat broke) or tire. Didn't effect my ride at all. Also ran with non matching tires for over a year to compare the two.
    Most everything I say is