View Poll Results:

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No voluntary movement at all.

11 26.19%
  • Some voluntary non functional movement and I'm complete.

7 16.67%
  • Some voluntary non functional movement and I'm incomplete.

15 35.71%
  • Voluntary functional movement (ie ASIA C or enables me to bear weight etc.)

9 21.43%
  • Other (please specify).

0 0%

Thread: How many people have 'non-functional' movement below their injury?

How many people have 'non-functional' movement below their injury?

After the responses to my thread about wiggling my toe I began to wonder how many of us have some kind of voluntary non functional movement below our injury level. By non functional I mean something like wiggling a toe or finger or twitching a muscle - something that doesn't give you the ability to stand/walk/grasp or increase your ASIA score. If possible please post what movement it is and when you began to do it.

I can wiggle one middle toe and might have some weak trunk muscles. I'm a C 7/8 ASIA B so I have some finger movement but its functional. As of Aug 2, 2003 I'm 2 years post injury.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I don't know how to answer. I'm C8/T1 complete. I think I have some trunk/ab muscles that came back. Either that, or I've gotten very good at balancing.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jimnms:

I don't know how to answer. I'm C8/T1 complete. I think I have some trunk/ab muscles that came back. Either that, or I've gotten very good at balancing.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    I guess vote other...I maybe should have made a choice regarding trunk/balance.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Emi,
    I'm C6/7 and have always had good trunk control and balance. I had surgery for augmented bladder in '94 and the surgeon told me afterwards he was surprised at the tone of my abdomen. My abs spasm occasionally. My pinky twitches sometimes and this is weird - my left breast twitches all the time when i lie down. It drives me crazy.
    It stops on its own only when it feels like it. Nothing i do stops it. The boob is partly muscle and it's right at my injury level.

C5/6 complete

I have some voluntary functional movement below my injury level. I have a few ab muscles (not functional, but I can push my stomach in and out). A few trunk muscles (back and sides) make me feel more stable and help me tip left and right for a bit of a pressure relief. None of this enables me to sit without support or sit up from laying down. Within the last few weeks, I gained the ability to force a back spasm to stop or prevent it from starting.

I had the abs within the first few weeks, but I gained the back and sides recently (six years post).

I'm c5/6 incomplete. I wiggle fingers on my left hand, have
    good sitting balance, slight contractions in both quads,
    rotate both legs left and right, move my left foot and toes,
    toes on my right foot. All movements are small but easily
    seen. My Dr. said that's nice but doesn't mean anything.

Brad

C-5/6 incomplete - can move 1 toe, two fingers and can contract a tricep. I guess it is due to sprouting.

I'm C-5/6, and I had return in my one thumb, five years after my injury. I can use my thumb to hold things like a glass, fork & write. It meant a world of difference in my life. I also can move some toes ankle & a few stomach muscles.