Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scars

I have several scars (around an inch or less) prior to my injury. Post SCI I have: 2 tong holes, 4 halo holes, 1 (4-5") neck fusion surgery scar, 2 large scapular area scars from deep pressure sores that developed under the halo, 2 or 3 merged scars on my tailbone from early pressure sores, 1 SP cath hole (not exactly a scar), 2 smaller ischium area sore scars and 1 huge right leg/ischium area flap surgery scar, and had surgery on my toes to fix curled up toes (so there's 10 more small ones) plus the 2 tendons I had to have cut on the inside of my ankles where my feet began to draw in and two other surgeries on my right foot where the outer metatarsal was ground down and causing pressure and underneath the the 2nd metatarsal head that had to be ground down too. I lost count, but since I don't often see them I don't think about them unless asked. I'm not self-conscious about them though... their part of my life story. Yea!

I hate mine. The biggest I didn't get any say in as my parents signed the surgical consent form. Hate every single one.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

The perfectionist in me hates scars; but I do embrace the scars on my back because it looks as if an angel had its wings torn off, so I love the symbolism.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned burn scars. One of the first things we did was to put me on the floor of a motel shower not realizing the hot water pipe ran around the wall. The next morning we saw the terrible burn on my leg. I have a scar that looks like a zucchini slice on the top of my leg. I dropped it while cooking. There are some scars from an electric teakettle that I would forget was plugged in. When it got to the end of the cord it would tip and spill. I never went to a Dr. for a burn, so am fortunate they never got infected.

eek! I can imagine the issue with burns for you guys. I've got a nasty burn on my left arm because I didn't feel I was being burned until too late, result of some nerve damage. I also have issues dropping things and last year my roommate had to rush me to the ER after I spilled boiling water on myself, it continued to burn me through my wet clothes until I got them off. The only scarring though is along the inside of my right ankle and foot, I think that sock was the last item I tore off.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I"m still trying to figure out why Debbie had a lot of scars and yet what she focused on in our "dating' days was the scars on her right leg -which had been crushed when she was hit by a car. It was a few months from the time we met until I saw her leg and the way she talked about those scars I thought that I was going to see something straight out of Frankenstein. When I finally saw her leg I was like "yeah ... and?" Yes, she had scars. But I honestly didn't see the big deal and I thought she had beautiful legs - both of them.

It took her awhile to believe me but she eventually did and even started wearing shorts. After that leg was amputated, I told her that her stump looked like a dolphin and we talked about having it tattooed to look even more like one. That never happened because of other problems that came up, but the point is that I wasn't sure how I would feel about her leg scars - or her amputation - and what I found is that they were just another part of the woman I loved.

Yes, I know that sometimes I sound incredibly, horribly sappy, but that is the way it was. I loved the woman and though she lost two legs, had majorly more scars by the time she died than when I met her, gained a considerable amount of weight, and had other increasing physical issues over the time we were together, it didn't freaking matter. I loved her for who she was, I fell even more in love over the years, and that ended up also meaning that I thought she was more beautiful with every passing year than when we first met.

Scars... they simply tell a story of part of your life, they dont' say a durn thing about who you are as a person.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Every one of my scars has a story and a lesson. In early rehab I invited newbies to look at my pressure sore scars to make clear what they were supposed to be avoiding. They are part of me, just like the growing number of wrinkles on my face.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I love my scars. I am a warrior...