Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Up Techniques for Quads/Hand Impairment

Lightbulb Make Up Techniques for Quads/Hand Impairment

Hey guys, I'm working with a disability magazine called Ideal Magazine and I'm working on some articles focusing on different ways/adaptive devices to apply make up or do basic beauty routines. Does anyone have any suggestions or questions they'd like to share? What I have off the top of my head are the foam tubes for things like eyeliners and lip glosses. I've yet to figure out how to use a pony tail holder even after my hands have improved.

Thanks in advance!
    Doin' that crip thing since 2004.

I don't use any adaptive devices, I'm pretty good at putting on the war paint. But I have noticed my grip is not as good as it once was. You mentioned grips on pencils, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about putting those pencil foam grip things on my brushes. Anyone do this?

I think the utensil cuffs could be handy if they were better modified to handle more than utensils. I think eyeliner is the trickiest to do safely especially with loss of balance and potential spasms. There's always the ability to use eye shadow as eyeliner with an angled brush, but I'm not sure if that would make it any less dangerous. A cath inserter might be helpful too.

i once heard a presentation to an sci group by a high level quad woman who runs a large business. she said that she found a skilled 'permanent makeup' artist and
    had eyeliner, eyebrow, and permanent lip color done. the woman explained that it saved her lots of time in dressing for work and that she liked the results, said it made her feel like she looked her best all the time.

i really don't know anything about the safety or long-term advisability of
    getting permanent makeup, which is essentially having one's eyeliner, eyebrows and lip color tattooed on ( supposedly done with much more subtlety than regular tattoos)
    but for women with very limited or no hand function, it might be worth looking into.

Headbands, bandanas, scarves - to keep hair away from face for washing or makeup routines.
    * Tying scarves/bandanas can be done w/o finger dexterity or function - use mouth to help loop thru and tighten.

Hair picks are also useful for quickly putting hair up/back from face or for combing.
    For those with tightness in fingers/hand, the handle can be gripped by just inserting into curled fingers, but if hands are flaccid, a D-ring strap can be put on handle (ie. like a cuff), but this would be more useful for using the pick for combing hair, not so functional for holding hair up as you'd need to quickly release it (which would be difficult to do if pick is strapped onto hand).
    * Putting front/sides of hair up: grab section of hair from one side from ear, then hold on top while grabbing other section from other side; hold both sections on top of head while you insert pick to hold.
    * Clipping entire hair up: use pick to hold top/sides of hair (as above), then bring the rest of the back portion around and up, wrapping it around the pick, then while holding the makeshift bun, pull pick out from center and stick it back into the bun to hold it temporarily while grabbing a hair clip to clip the bun (replaces the pick, which is removed after clipping; have to keep head still and do it quickly so hair doesn't unravel). If necessary, simply twisting the clip in the direction of the bun and reclipping (w/o completely taking clip out) will help to tighten the whole thing up. This isn't so much to wear out on the town, but it works to keep hair up and away from face and neck - a must for (my) long hair.
    Sorry if the above sounds confusing or difficult to do, but it actually is more easy that it sounds, and something I figured out after trial/error with other ridiculous methods. FYI. I don't have any finger function.

Makeup: (those teeny applicators are useless)
    Eyeshadows and eye lining - Q-tips is a must. Disposable and keeps makeup and application clean (crippled or not). For tight fingers, simply insert/weave between fingers. If flaccid, may try using a cuff. If needed, may try cotton tipped applicators for medical use (cotton tipped with long wooden sticks).

Eye pencils - use those that don't need sharpening.
    Make-up brushes - weave thru fingers and/or use cuff.

* Re cuffs - items will stay in place better if the ends are wrapped with tape. the taping provides a bit of tackiness/resistance to ends and the extra bulk helps to keep things better positioned, even smaller, more narrow items/handles. Paper or masking tape can be used, but if extra tackiness is needed, maybe try adding little strips of dycem - just a little to hold in position but not enough to prevent being inserted into cuff slot.

If one just simply can not use any brushes or can not hold onto any makeup applicators, lipsticks, etcs., I think bare hands/fingers should suffice - use the side of the thumb or thumb knuckle to apply shadow and lip color. This should work for both dry powder and creamy makeup, for eyes, cheeks, lips, and rest of face. If you can put lotion on your face, this should not be a problem. Just practice application technique. Using your own hands may give you more control, especially with how much pressure to apply, and be more gentle on one's face, especially around delicate eye area.
    Last edited by chick; 02-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Those are some pretty awesome tips! Thanks Chick. Practice definitely makes perfect when deciding which techniques work best.

I've really been into the Shadowblast line from Covergirl - it is cheap, easy and quick to apply and the bigger diameter of the applicator make it easier for my hands to grip.
    http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/beauty...ast_eyeshadow/
    http://www.covergirl.ca/en_ca/beauty...ast_eyeshadow/
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I had permanent eyeliner and eyebrows done. They are very subtle and I am very glad I had the eyeliner done as it is the hardest thing for me to apply. However, the eyebrow procedure very painful and not worth the pain or the cost. The eyeliner was much easier, annoying and uncomfortable, but not painful.

Chick nailed it about the Q-tips. I'd look like a raccoon when wearing eye liner and/or mascara without a Q cleanup.

You might check with Tiff/Theophania as she has vids re: makeup application.

BTW, props to you for scoring the writing gig.

Thanks Lamem

The actual products are an interesting aspect too. I never thought about it as far as using the product itself as application like a cream shadow. Does anyone have any favorite products?