Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harassment at work?

Thank you everyone! Guess I should have been more clear about "second in command" A: when Dept head is gone he is next in line to sign leave slips etc. B: Our Dept is one of many within a Federally reconized tribe, this is the third incident i have documented and even though I have several witnesses who already gave me written statements, I have never in my 28yrs here submitted ANY kind of complaint ánd confided myself to have thick skin but this incident really struck me wrong! His "comments" have escalated to the point someone is "getting it" weekly especially the entry level employees he has been written up but its been a couple years.

i definitely disagree with the "let it ride" thinking. i did that too many times at work. HR is not your friend, as stated, they advocate for the boss.

are you in a union? is there an EEO rep at work? a medical dept? a legal dept. (though i wouldn't count on them, but you do have witnesses and documentation)? an EAP there? any ADA savvy person can see that company can be sued if they allow this behavior.

frankly, i wouldn't care if it was the CEO. this IS harassment. don't let it slide.

hey, just noticed your reference to tribe. if you are native, this can put a whole different perspective on things. aren't there resources within your tribe? i have a very good friend in montana who might be able to advise in this regard.
    Last edited by cass; 02-20-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I also like Daisy's advice .. but if it bothered me enough, I'd approach the person on my own.
    imo, this is dangerous advice. if it is just the 2 of you, it could so easily devolve into a he said/she said.

My thinking there is that I like to solve it among employees before management has to get involved. Then I'd delve into documenting it. If it continued then I'd have no other option than to take it to management.

Not the first time I've seen someone close to retirement and not really give a damn anymore at work though.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My thinking there is that I like to solve it among employees before management has to get involved. Then I'd delve into documenting it. If it continued then I'd have no other option than to take it to management.

Not the first time I've seen someone close to retirement and not really give a damn anymore at work though.
    me either. i was just suggesting not a good idea to meet one on one. have a third party present. management is involved already; apparently this is a designated manager.

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    Thank you everyone! Guess I should have been more clear about "second in command" A: when Dept head is gone he is next in line to sign leave slips etc. B: Our Dept is one of many within a Federally reconized tribe, this is the third incident i have documented and even though I have several witnesses who already gave me written statements, I have never in my 28yrs here submitted ANY kind of complaint ánd confided myself to have thick skin but this incident really struck me wrong! His "comments" have escalated to the point someone is "getting it" weekly especially the entry level employees he has been written up but its been a couple years.
    Who is this guy, is he native too? Didn't his parents teach him not to make fun of disabled folks. I'm native too and I know how'd I (we) handle it but we are trying to be above that these days. Let us know what happens.

i am not one to take crap, so i would report it in writing , cover all my bases, send a copy to a higher up, above the HR person, make sure that it is writing ir yu have nothing. That is what lawyers have told me over the years. Fax is also good, just make sure you get the sent receipt and attach it to your copy.
    i have dealt with these types of people in my work , before injury, as i wasnt there after injury, but i would just call them out and le them pt their mouth where my foot is. my work enviroment was hostile for 25 years so i learned how to deal with jerks. The worst thing you can do is ignore it. carry a recorder. even a ipod , it has a lot of apps that record .
    best bet woukd be to sit down with a lawyer now, so you know how to handle it abd what measures to take. Sending a letter to a couple of higher mangers and cc the lawyer, can make them take it serious, if they dont want to read about themselves in the paper. we had people drunk, drunk driving big trucks, handguns, firing handguns in company garages, and i only knew 10% of what went on.
    Being disabled fighting is not a good idea, i have to keep telling myself that!
    talk to a lawyer, it may cost you 100 it may cost you nothing, anymore than $100 =next lawyer, plus if they try to charge you without a signed contract or agreement , they cant. be aware most of the people that say they will sign a statement or stick-u may back out when it gets rough.
    If he is your supervisor you cant verbally confront him without fear of losing your job, so letters and lawyers come into play. i was also in a union job had been a steward so i knew the game, but i was amazed at how many men would take that stuff. Every state is different with employment law so lawyer is best bet, especially if supervisory position. on equal rank you can challenge him verbally. like what did you just say, repeat that please for everyone to hear. What did you say about my disability? record, get a little player that records everytime a noise is heard. it will hold 2 or 3 days worth. Lawyers like that kind of evidence. No more he said she said.
    Assholes suck, be ready for them the second time and you will do much better.
    cauda equina

I have to agree with lyniffer. I would try to resolve it on my own. I've done this successfully a few times. My manager jokingly said, during a fire drill on the 5th floor, let's just push her down the stairs, she'll get down there before any of us. Everyone laughed and went on down while I waited for the firemen to come up and carry me down. I was a little embarrassed at the attention it brought on to me and the fact that everyone laughed without asking what the plan was for me to get down. I though about it over night and went back to her in the morning and reminded her of The scenario that played out the previous day. She said oh yes, did u see how cute the firemen were. I told I didn't notice the fireman because my focus was on safely gettin down those stairs in my chair without hurting the back of the fireman. I said, tell me how you felt about saying we should just roll her down the stairs and she will make to the bottom before any of us. She said oh I was just kidding, I didn't realize you were sensitive about your disability and apologized. I said, my disability is not the sensitive issue here. The sensitive issue is that you opened the door up for others to be disrespectful in situation that might be challenging for me. I told her that my specific diversity training did not teach that we should talk in a disrespectful way to someone who is in a situation as this. I asked her how I could help her remember to utilize our diversity principals that we all agreed on during that training. She sat back in her chair and said wow. I didn't think of it that way and appreciate you taking the opportunity to educate me on a teachable moment. She is now my best friend since we don't work together anymore. Our husbands hang out together as well. I was glad we resolved it together rather that reporting it. I would save the letter in case u can't resolve it together.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

did you seriously read the op's post on this page?

btw, in a fire drill at my work, we don't have firepeople come in. four of my co-workers carried me down, chair and all (this was not required or asked of them. they volunteered). the company also was req. to install evac chrs at all staircases, instruct co-workers how to use them and assign 2 co-workers as my buddy system. i don't see anything laughable here.

in the wtc attack, there were quite a few good samatarians, that i dont think even worked with the various disabled people, some blind, some in chairs, they risked their lives not leaving them behind and waited and helped get them out, on the stairs. Fire drills are not a laughing matter especially by management,obvious this person was working above their ability, but i would have a letter written by a lawyer to the president of the company addressing these liability problems. Fire fighters will take over if they can and as long as the disaster is not on the evac floor or below and there should be a SOP on how the company is to handle the evac of all people with special needs and also a way that firefighters know in advance of what is going on. That is why a meeting place has to ne strictly enforced. you don't want anyone losing their life because a person was missing from their meeting point.
    Diasastor drils are no joke and anyone in a supervisory position that treats it as a joke, probably would not be working there to much longer, and employee that does the same and acts like they would not aid a person , shouls not be assigned a important function, and also have the higher mangement know they have a liability problem, cause once it is in writing and sent to the big wigs , it is a liabilityu, and if they try abd take payback type action, are most likely hanging themselves with their rope, unless your in texas or other backward state
    cauda equina