Thread: Spinal Stroke-Proving Causative Factors

Spinal Stroke-Proving Causative Factors

A message for persons with technical interest in Spinal Strokes
    This question is directed to persons who may have tried to identify causative factors for Spinal Stroke. Perhaps people with some knowledge in this area could share with me any sources they know which specify the percentage breakdown of causes of spinal stroke. I have been through many scientific papers and I wonder what the 'state of the art' of knowledge might be in this area. For example is there is a specific paper which might be the latest comprehensive study?

I am endeavouring to prove that a severe fall was the source of my spinal stroke as there was a gap of a month or so between fall and the onset of the stroke. There is no obvious histopathology evidence available but I will have a myeleogram to exclude possibilities of vascular malformation. My own work in this area as a bio engineer using hyperelastic shock simulation of the aorta and porcine aorta properties demonstrate that aortic shock pressure in a 2 metre fall is sufficient to rupture the intima under specific conditions. However, this is not 'evidence' as such.

This question may be important to many people as insurers use the obscurity of cause to avoid payment.

Perhaps there is a working group out there that could offer views on this.

Many Thanks for anybody who may be able to help.

Oconnor

I don't know that you are going to find what you are looking for, but I will ask Dr. Young to comment.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Oconnor View Post
    A message for persons with technical interest in Spinal Strokes
    This question is directed to persons who may have tried to identify causative factors for Spinal Stroke. Perhaps people with some knowledge in this area could share with me any sources they know which specify the percentage breakdown of causes of spinal stroke. I have been through many scientific papers and I wonder what the 'state of the art' of knowledge might be in this area. For example is there is a specific paper which might be the latest comprehensive study?

I am endeavouring to prove that a severe fall was the source of my spinal stroke as there was a gap of a month or so between fall and the onset of the stroke. There is no obvious histopathology evidence available but I will have a myeleogram to exclude possibilities of vascular malformation. My own work in this area as a bio engineer using hyperelastic shock simulation of the aorta and porcine aorta properties demonstrate that aortic shock pressure in a 2 metre fall is sufficient to rupture the intima under specific conditions. However, this is not 'evidence' as such.

This question may be important to many people as insurers use the obscurity of cause to avoid payment.

Perhaps there is a working group out there that could offer views on this.

Many Thanks for anybody who may be able to help.

Oconnor
    As you are well aware, causality is difficult to prove and correlation alone is not enough. In your case, the gap in time makes causality particularly difficult to prove. What you might look for is delayed spinal cord injury after trauma. I don't know how many people have this problem.

Wise.

Dear Dr Young

Thanks for your kind attention to my email. I did suffer in those intervening weeks with a couple of days of the fall from a series of disorders which grew and grew until I had the stroke. For example, both feet started to feel cold , then lost sensation and became permanently 'cold' until time of stroke. Backs of legs and then posterior eventually and slowly became numb and other issues associated with s1, s2, s3 nerves, fertility and urinary dysfunction

I dont know if this sequence rings any bells for you or if they have a special meaning?

Many Thanks

O'Connor

Dear Readers

Just to come back to causation of spinal stroke for those of you who may be engaged in research ........how does fall impact relate to stroke in physical terms.

Proposed Mecanism

1. Shock wave in blood due impact.
    2. Vessels experience increase in hoop stress-perhaps 1.5 to 10 times.
    3. Small tributary vessels with diameter of 5-30% of major vessel experience additional sharp rise in stress at junction with major vessel-circa 300% over hoop stress shock.
    4. Endothelial layer at small to large vessel juncture damaged by overstrain.
    5. Lesion starts to form immediately, lesion not entirely resorbed and detaches after healing or in part-Embolism.
    6. Lesion debris enters tributary directly adjacent to damage.
    7. Blood flow to spine stagnated, flow disrupted.
    8. Flow disruption leads to necrosis.
    9. Partial or full resorption of embedded debris results in some flow recovery.

The mechanical phonomenon of stress stress at the juncture will easily be assiacated with stress magnification of 3-10 times during the shock process. This is a mundane fact exhibited in many analyses of tube-capilliary like structures with minor branches.

The question arises as to how such a phonomenon could be detected and how intervention could be initiated if this phonomenon be detected.

Anyone with a research interest in this could contact me.

oconnor....

(Msc Bio eng/vascular research and simulation)

I was treated at Zentral Klinikum Hospital in Augsburg after a short stop in Neu Ulm for a brain CT that ruled out a CVA I was sent by ambulance to a neurological hospital near by..Goettien? was medivaced by the Luftwaffe to Augsburg. After a week in an induced coma and intubated I started slowly waking up and getting a bit back. Down on the Neuro ward I was told the 3 main causes of spinal infarcts was cross clamping during aortic surgery that normally effects the mid-thorasic spine; then epidurals normally during labor and delivery at the lumbar area and then either cocaine causing higher bp or heroin causing low blood pressure. After the cross clamping I think the second most common reason is "unknown" ischemia like mine. Since spinal infarcts effect the body very quickly, from pain in my elbows to needing breathing support was 3 hours, the first interventions are supportive for all levels. Then ruling out all possible causes such as, with a cervical level infarct, GBS, TM, unknown MS exasperation, Systemic Lupus, arterio-vascular malformation, and in my case because of who I lived and socialized with some rather rare diseases for mid-Europe come next. My unknown ischemic infarct was the final diagnosis at the Augsburg Hospital and their very good neurological team; the expert in vascular disorders and diseases from Georgetown University when I was at rehab at the National Rehabilitation Hospital and later at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Johns Hopkins University.
    I was asked about any recent hard jerks to my neck like come from whip lash in a car accident but there were none. Another friend remembered my eating some wild mushrooms I had picked but my husband explained that if I didn't know the difference between the 2 good morels and the false morel by then I never would. I was 32 when the infarct hit and had been picking morels with one grandfather since I was about 4 and it was May. :-)
    Because of life supports I didn't have a MRI for about 10 days or so. My main resident explained they could see a new artery that was already forming but no hints on the MRI as to cause of the damaged area that was miniscule.
    Sorry. But you most likely may never find a cause to your injury.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

End result
    in the end, it as proven that my spinal stroke, I.e embolism was caused by a fall 6 weeks earlier which resulted in a whip lash effect to the spine. An expert team of spinal bio mecanics modelled the impact and were able to demonstrate extrusion of the disc into the spinal vasculature with a minor later event aggravating the earlier injury.

This is very significant as it demonstrates that mysterious spinal strokes can in fact have been caused by falls, athletic impacts, gymnastic mishaps, many weeks and months before the final event. of course it took some thousands of hours of research to prove this but the result is important and may account for up to 50000 mysterious strokes annually worldwide. My case was won as a result against the greatest odds.