Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW.... C1/2 lesion/contusion.... answers??

Question NEW.... C1/2 lesion/contusion.... answers??

Hi.
    Given all the internet hunting, hours on my back and on medications- I truly can't find any answers.

I was stuck accidentally in the spinal cord with a needle. I lost entire use of my right side and swalling for 2hrs with a DRASTIC drop in b/p, most slowly came back and I was sent home therafter at the hospital I stayed for 2 weeks, on decadron and ALOT of other meds.

I am in a LARGE amount of pain, on pain patches and take dilaudid 4mg every 4hrs. I have lost sensation, occassional loss of swalling that comes back minutes later, AGONISING pain, right arm and leg weakness and numbness. I can use them some, but only a few times until the pain takes over. I live on ice as well and dont do much but PT 3xs a week still.

I am going for another MRI soon, the pain has increased and I get these horrid massaive 'jolt' sensations through my body.

I am told I am lucky, considering I am alive, and typing, with the area of injury I have. I am seeing a therapist as well, as I have a hard time daily grasping anything.

There are MANY other symptoms and quiestions, but my biggest one is, CAN THIS GET WORSE??? I mean, given where it is, and what I still have lost? I can't find any information, except about why I have these jolts, and similar things of that nature. My dr only gives me 'It takes time, I dont know" and useless things like that, which dont help me make it thru each day. Because its so biga lesion (cuz I was home wihtout treatment for 3 days before they told me to goto the hospital) I dont understand.

Hi, and thanks. Any help. reading matierial or similar is greatly appreciated. I dont last long upright due to pain and feeling unwell at times, so, I spend alot of time on my laptop in bed.

Last edited by rosieC12; 02-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Hi Rosie,

You're moving and breathing independently, so I would say you're quite lucky in those regards (I'm a C1-2 on a vent, paralyzed from my neck down). I can't speculate on your condition, but I wish you well.

God bless.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Checkout the below CareCure thread about a new way to bowl!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87066

Thanks for responding Bill, it really means alot. This makes me feel so out of place and alone, and I cannot fathom the emotional toll given what a C1/2 injury has brought you considering what I feel just how I am with the above. Its mind baffling to say the least. What happened in regards to your injury if you don't mind my asking?
    After a history of not being able to walk for over a year myself, from something ELSE years ago and barely finding the might to fight through it, (which I did) this now, just totally blows me away, and kills me inside.

You think after going through something so major, you've fought the only true 'battle' for your lifetime and everything else is 'cake' in comparison- and then I got walloped again.

Thanks again. I am so happy to hear from someone with a similar area injury, and I am in shell shock still I think, given the true comparisons of what this injury does time and time again to people. or let alone, how it is I dont have what soooo many others do with a c1/2....

HOW do you bowl (I havent since the 1st injury I had prior to this) I usedto love bowling.

Cool !!

Excuse me , but this must be two different PLANETS.... how do you bowl....!

Quote Originally Posted by arnenorway View Post
    Bowl would be correct. Check the link above.

To the original poster: I'd get a lawyer if ou were injured with a needle, no?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

HI, and yes. Thank you again so much Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by rosieC12 View Post
    Thanks for responding Bill, it really means alot. This makes me feel so out of place and alone, and I cannot fathom the emotional toll given what a C1/2 injury has brought you considering what I feel just how I am with the above. Its mind baffling to say the least. What happened in regards to your injury if you don't mind my asking?
    After a history of not being able to walk for over a year myself, from something ELSE years ago and barely finding the might to fight through it, (which I did) this now, just totally blows me away, and kills me inside.

You think after going through something so major, you've fought the only true 'battle' for your lifetime and everything else is 'cake' in comparison- and then I got walloped again.

Thanks again. I am so happy to hear from someone with a similar area injury, and I am in shell shock still I think, given the true comparisons of what this injury does time and time again to people. or let alone, how it is I dont have what soooo many others do with a c1/2....

HOW do you bowl (I havent since the 1st injury I had prior to this) I usedto love bowling.
    Rosie,

I think most of your questions about me and/or my life as a C1-2 are answered on my website here:

http://www.lookmomnohands.net/My_Ful...ort_Groups.htm

God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by arnenorway View Post
    arnenorway,

About bowling, here's our YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4i6DaLYmic

And the video on our website's homepage has more explanation and a brief interview with me:

http://www.ikanbowler.com/

For more info and some "history" see the thread in my signature please.

But let's try to keep this thread geared to the original poster's situation.

God bless all.

hi Rosie,

Can i ask how did you accidentally got a needle in the spinal? C1-C2 is a bad place to have an injury...I am not happy to hear that someone else has an injury in the same as me...everyone is different, bodies react different..I wish you well...I don't have any advise other maybe just hang in there
    Love & Light WhiteAngel. Low Grade Astrocytoma Spinal Cord Tumour, C-1 to T-6 surgery back in 1970 @ age 4-1/2 with Brain Stem Cyst, Kyphosis, Scoliosis, Heading down the quadriplegia road. For my story and more please visit: http://whiteangel0.blogspot.com/p/my-story_06.html http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~whiteangel

Hi rosieC12,
    I am C1/C2 also. You are very early in your recovery. While it is impossible to know what your future will bring, I think that it isvery likely that some of your symptoms will improve and possibly disappear. I have been very fortunate in my recovery. Immediately after my accident the doctors struggled to keep me alive. I had a temporary pacemaker for a week and was on a vent for a month. I was also just about completely paralysed from the neck down for a few days. Now, about 2 years post SCI, I can walk 10 miles and ride a mountain bike. The jolts you describe sounds like a sensation that I had for a couple of weeks. I had no spasticity early on, but when the paralysis left the spasticity appeared. It has improved some over time. I have read that this is common. Neuropathic pain is not one of my problems, but I have seen posts on this forum that say that it can get worse. I also had a bad problem with blood pressure, but I hardly ever notice it now. I wish you the best of luck and hope that this is a short detour into the twilight zone of SCI.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010