Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wound that won't heal-SCI Nurse

More info

The sore is near the rectum, as he has a temporary colostomy.

I'm fairly certain he has already been a patient of Dr. Finnegan's. Dr. Finnegan is very good (by reputation), but there are a lot of other factors affecting my friend.

I never heard of "Magic Spray", but I will check it out. Is it worth checking, SN?

Obviously, I have no idea if his diabetes is under strict control. He tells me that his numbers are good, but I don't know if that qualifies as "strict control". I'll ask him.

He has been a patient at the Bronx VA. That's where he has surgery 30-some years ago. I went to visit him there. He laid on his stomach on a gurney for several months. I'm sure treatment has changed since then. He has had at least one more surgery since then. I don't think he has enough tissue for another surgery.

I'll have to check out the Ride cushion. The wound vac has helped, but it appears to have maxed out.

Is the Bronx VA really the best facility for him? If so, I'll recommend that he go back. Are there any other VA facilities that might have something more to offer?

He is free to go to any VA that offers care, but if he does it on his own he will not get travel pay. I recall hearing about one vet who was living in Michigan (I believe) who wanted to do his annual checkup in a warmer location (Puerto Rico). He would have to pay for the trip himself, but the care is free.

So the short answer is he is free to go to any VA facility he wants. I have no recommendations on any specific SCI center.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I would recommend that given his situation he go where it is easiest for him to go. The Bronx is probably that setting. He can certainly try the "magic spray" - it has done wonders for many people, but not all. It is probably worth a try.

He really needs to keep the pressure off of it, but understand his situation makes it difficult. Make sure that he eats plenty of protein and that he keeps his sugars under control - quite a feat when you have a wound.

CKF

Magic Spray

Can anyone give more info on MS? How did it work for you? Is it OTC? How much does it cost? Any other suggestions for a decub that won't heal?

Where can you get Magic Spray?

It's like a big secret. There are stories about it, but no website of locator for the product. Need some help here. Thanks.

It is called Verticyn or Microcyn. You need a prescription for it. I am not sure of the cost. You apply it by spraying it on the wound and then covering it. Keep the wound clean and the pressure off of it as much as possible. Also, make sure the diet is well balanced and high protein. Plenty of fluids are also important.
    CKF

You don't need a prescription for Microcyn or Vetericyn.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is called Verticyn or Microcyn. You need a prescription for it. I am not sure of the cost. You apply it by spraying it on the wound and then covering it. Keep the wound clean and the pressure off of it as much as possible. Also, make sure the diet is well balanced and high protein. Plenty of fluids are also important.
    CKF
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I got mine at a dogfood/vet supply store...small bottle was $44.00 so it is not cheap.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Go to Amazon, it's $27 for a 16 oz bottle
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury