Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

Question for you Mark. The cord that connects the control box to the wheel motor is too short to reach. It comes with a extension cord which is way too long, right now as you can see from the picture I just have it coiled around the frame tube. Is there a better way to do this without it looking as mickey mouse? I see in you're pictures from your site it looks like the cord reaches perfectly? How is that?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hey Curt!
    I love the idea of the clear screen.....I was getting blasted by bugs last night. I have done a 20 mile ride each night after work this week, and noticed the bugs are just now getting to be an issue.

The first PP motor I got had the cable just the right length. However, all the ones we are seeing now are just an inch shorter, hence the need for that long cable. I will ask E-bikekit to see if they have any say over that. On my other Pods I have tucked the cable neatly under the carrier, in front of the control box.

Well I got my big battery (35ah) and ya, it's big like 23 lbs. I tried it yesterday and can't hook it up without popping the 25 amp fuse each time I hook it up. I guess that combined with the 2 12ah batteries all in series is just too much current (like around 71 ah) I called e-bike and thats what they seem to think. Even with the just three 12ah in series you can see a little electrical spark when you hook up the final power connection, with all these batteries that spark is just too much and pops the fuse. I'm still going to work on a way of making this big battery work.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Well could not get the big 35 ah battery to work in series with the 3 pack 12 ah batteries, soooo, tomorrow I'm going try it with just 2 other 12 ah batteries (36 volt) of course I won't go as fast (18.5 mph only) but I should have hopefully around a 45 to 50 mile range. The big test is tomorrow, hopefully it won't pop the fuse again, got a box of fuses just incase. If it does not work I'll just go back to the one 3 pack of 12v 12 ah batterys and do my rides at a slower speed. 25 mph is a little risky even though I felt safe but if someone or an animal ran in front of me it could be bad, my good luck so far could change mighty fast. I already have enough health issues without having to ad crash injuries to my life. At 18.5 I can boost the speed up to 20 and crank at a nice cadence and get a better workout, @ 25.5 I'm just cranking too fast, thought about changing the crank gear, but I've just decieded to be smart and keep my speed down lower. Can enjoy the nice scenery on the path a little more that way plus with the 48V setup I was having to stack the batteries raising my center of gravity and the bike was not handling as good. Heres of pic of the new battery setup, you can see how big the 35 ah battery is. One of these days I'm going to go with Lithiums or something a lot lighter, these things are really heavy.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-16-2012 at 03:09 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It'll be nice if/when the cost of LiFePo batteries starts to come down. I've been planning on getting a hub motor setup, but most people seem to think that a lithium setup is the only way to go. The price difference between SLA and the lithium is a pretty big jump!

Check out this guy. LiPo battery setup at 120V. Madness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw1D0m0lOo

Now that's a speeding ticket in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
    It'll be nice if/when the cost of LiFePo batteries starts to come down. I've been planning on getting a hub motor setup, but most people seem to think that a lithium setup is the only way to go. The price difference between SLA and the lithium is a pretty big jump!

Check out this guy. LiPo battery setup at 120V. Madness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw1D0m0lOo

Curt, don't you go getting any ideas of doing this to your bike.

That guy is crazy, I don't think a bike is designed for those speeds; hope he modified the bike also.

I may go Lipo when my sla's finally wear out. I'm not too concerned about the weight. One thing about LiPos is that when the battery is low; it's right now. With SLA's, the battery discharge is at slower rate. Not sure if I'm saying that right.

Nope, I'm really just looking for range right now and have decieded to stick with the 36 volt that limits my speeds to 18.5 mph (or 20 or so if I'm cranking). Did not get a chance to try the new setup today, but hopefully tomorrow. Gotta allow at least 3 hours for the ride because I hope to get it up to around 45-60 miles before the batteries are spent. The good thing with my new setup is I have two separate battery packs so if I ever forget to charge one or something I can just slap in the other battery pack, or if I wanted to do a 80 miles ride in a day I could change them out without having to take the time to do a recharge.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

What about using the extra 12v you bought to make it a 48vlt. One of the reasons I went with the 15ah was the longer range on a 36vlt.

Great to see you guys are hungry for more distance and power....just a bit scary, glad you guys are all well informed adults capable to judging your capabilites etc etc

Personally, I used 2 x 36v packs in parallel, and then stuck a single 12v in series. It was great, i went for a nice 47 mile ride and averaged around 18 mph. I got a great work-out and really enjoyed the extra "boost' of power up some of the hills. The batteries still had life left in them when I got back to my van so I dont know how much more range I might have gotten.

good times