Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I really think I'm going to go with a street tire on the PP as I have knobby now and that is not as effective in getting the power to the ground as would be a tire with more rubber touching the ground. I really like going through the twisties at high speeds so I try and keep the center of gravity as low as possible even though I lean hard into the corners.

I am having a blast with the power pod though, it has added a whole new dimension to my rides. It is nice on the hot days here in Florida too as @ 25.5 mph I stay a lot cooler, plus not working my body as hard so even at 90 degrees it still can be a enjoyable ride and not misery.

I decieded not to even attempt hooking 60 volts up to the motor, I understand it cuts down the motor life and I really have no need to go 30 mph, 25.5 is fast enough and now that I have range of 30 miles at those high speeds it is all good. At 16 mph or so I'm sure I could go 40 miles.

Curt! you ARE the man....!!!

(a very scary man......but THE man nevertheless).

I'm glad you are having a good time with your 'Pod.
    I think it is smart not putting 60v through it tho......no one needs to go that fast imho

And it doesnt sound like you do any off-roading so a road tire would be much better. I have been using the Kenda's from my local bike shop at $12 each.....seem good, strong and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Curt! you ARE the man....!!!

(a very scary man......but THE man nevertheless).

I'm glad you are having a good time with your 'Pod.
    I think it is smart not putting 60v through it tho......no one needs to go that fast imho

And it doesnt sound like you do any off-roading so a road tire would be much better. I have been using the Kenda's from my local bike shop at $12 each.....seem good, strong and cheap.

I think I'll just leave the knobby on there till it wears out, I'm too lazy to change it now, lol.

I actually feel totally comfortable cruising along at 25 mph at this point, I adjusted my disc brake a little bit and it stops me pretty quickly. When there is doubt like people up ahead of me on the path who I'm not sure what they are going to do, I always just back it down.

The soldering of the terminals onto the batteries worked great, no problems of any loss of power since then.

I only got 28 miles out of the batteries today, I still need to figure out how to increase my range even more, I think I may have to add a sixth battery as crazy as that sounds. Maybe I should switch to 4 of these batteries http://www.allegromedical.com/mobili...y-p163647.html
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Just ordered one of these batteries http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product this should do the trick. It is nearly 3x the capacity of the current 5th battery I have, I will substitute this for the 5th 12 ah battery I have and it should get me 40 miles I'd think with the type of riding I do, if not I'll run all 6 batteries. I just like having the power left the last ten miles of my ride because that's when I do the part of the bike path that has the banked corners and it's fun having plenty of power to power through the corners and lean into them, whats been happening is the batteries start getting sluggish after 22 miles or so.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Great looking battery Curt. SO I could put one of these on and one of my 12vlt15ah to get around 50 ah? They seem to weigh 26lbs a piece.

Your cadence must be really fast at 25mph, or, are you just steering and letting the motor do the work?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Great looking battery Curt. SO I could put one of these on and one of my 12vlt15ah to get around 50 ah? They seem to weigh 26lbs a piece.

Your cadence must be really fast at 25mph, or, are you just steering and letting the motor do the work?
    Patrick, you would need a minimum of 3 12 volt batteries connected in series to get you 20 mph, 4 connected in series gets you 25 mph. I may just try this one large battery I'm getting connected in series with the 3 pack pouch and that may be enough to do what I want it to do. The 4th and 5th batteries I'm currently using are 12ah, so that is 24 ah and the one I'm getting is nearly 36 ah, so that should get me 30 miles easily I'd think.

I'd think Patrick if you do the same, connect your 3 pack to this 36ah battery in series you'd have great range and a speed of 25 mph and you may be able to go a couple rides before you have to charge instead of every ride, assuming you do not more than 20 miles each ride.

I crank at 25.5 per hour and my cadence is really fast as I have just a 44 tooth big gear. I really need to think about a 52 tooth gear or something. Not sure how healthy spinning that fast is for my joints and muscles. I do notice though lately when I'm riding without the motor I spin much faster than I use to, so it seems like it is training my muscles to spin at these high speeds which is a good thing I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

lol, not sure about going 25mph but could use the estra miles. Won't 60 ah burn out the motor?

If you're going to a larger gear, perhaps look at the Q Ring. They're oval rings and are more efficient and ergononically easier on the shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    lol, not sure about going 25mph but could use the estra miles. Won't 60 ah burn out the motor?

If you're going to a larger gear, perhaps look at the Q Ring. They're oval rings and are more efficient and ergononically easier on the shoulders.
    Good thought about the Q ring.

Your getting Amp hours confused with Volts. You can have all the amp hours you want, it will just extend range longer the more amp hours. 60 Volts from what I've heard can be done (I'm still scared to try it though in the possibility of burning out the control box) but it is a lot harder on the wheel motor and will wear it out faster so think I'll just stick with 48 volts. Once you have the capability to go 25 mph, you don't want to go back. Actually these FRH1's are very comfortable at 25 mph on a smooth bike path, it's like riding along in a car. What I don't like is going that speed on bumpy roads, it's always a worry that if you hit a big enough bump something is going to break or a tire pop. I had thought about wiring just a small 7 amp hour 6 volt battery in series with the other batteries, that would make it 54 volts and up my speed to around 28 mph, that would be fast enough so that probably even those pro bicycle riders could not keep up with me, I think they were around their limits at 25.5 mph and spinning pretty good.

Looks like my battery shipped today, I'm anxious to try it out with the three other batteries, I think I'll have real good range then. The price sure was right on that battery, not all that much more than the 12 ah batteries I was using, I think those where $45.00 each. I almost wonder if I might have one bad 12 ah battery, possibly the newest one I just got, I notice after it is charged if I disconnect the charger and reconnect it, it starts charging again, non of the other batteries do this, you reconnect it on the others and they don't continue charging once they are charged. I'm taking it down to the battery place today to have it tested along with the reciept.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Heres the next thing I may think about on the handcycle with the Power pod. A Fairing http://www.zzipper.com/index.php I would think this would extend battery life, plus keep the bugs outta the face. The love bugs are about to come out here in Florida, that's gonna be fun cruising along at 25.5 mph dealing with them.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

A little Bleach on the drive knobby and you'll take off the tread quick, and impress the hell out of the AB's in Fla! Some "solar" fairings are in order too Curt!