Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

South Side of the Potomac ..... IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Chop SHOP?

Dear MarkB701,

What happened to the other rear wheels? Are they just not attached? Have you cut the weight of your trike design in exchange for a little strawberry knuckle road rash?

Do share.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    There are some extremely smart and talented folks here who are capable of designing and building practicially anything. I salute you people.

Now, where do I go to get someone to build me a glove to open and close my fingers.
    Wisfull thinking.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Well got 33 miles today before I started slowing down to 13 mph, not bad. I did not dare to hook the 5th battery in series as I dunno if the controller can handle 60 volts, the last thing I need is to fry that. I had two guys who were bicycle racers drafting me for 13 miles @ 25.5 mph, that was awesome, when they cut off the path they thanked me for the draft.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

You da man Curt. Love it, a/b cyclists drafting off a handcyclist. Made my day. Only with a powerpod can that be done for 13 miles.

That's a cool story, Curt!

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Bought another battery today (5 total 12ah batteries now) and I wired it in Paralell with the forth battery and figured it would give me extra range. To my surprise it did not, I went around 25 miles before I started slowing down from 25 mph to 13 mph. Maybe it was not fully charged or something. I bought it from Batteries plus and they told me it had a full charge. That should work right for anyone in the know? 4 of the batteries are connected in series and the fifth I bought today we put in Paralell off the 4th battery. I thought for sure I'd go over 30 miles. I soldered all the connectors directly to the batteries and that seemed to work great. Maybe I should try connecting the new battery in series with the forth one and give that a try tomorrow? What I could do is just back down the throttle a little bit as in series it should get the bike up to at least 30mph and I don't want to go more than 25 mph. Mark, would that work ok? ya know how the forth battery connects with the two for one split connector, today I had the two in Paralell positive to positive and negitive to negitive. If I connect positive to negitive and positive to negitive that should connect the other three with those two in series right thus yielding 60 volts? I think it's ok to run these motor on 60 volts right? You can see in my picture, there are three connected in series in the bottom pack and the two up top were connect in paralell.

One problem I'm having which really is not all that big of a problem is that I'm spinning the rear wheel under acceleration, it starts to hop a little bit when this happens, I think this will get even worse running 60 volts, guess I'll have to lay into the throttle a little more easy rather than just going full every time I hit it. With the 60 volts it may start to smoke the rear wheel lol, if I go full throttle.
    Curt...you are ONE SCARY CUSTOMER man.......and I've gotta be careful about giving any advice to someone as addicted to speed as you....!!! lol

I myself have added extra batteries in parallel. I created something that I call "The PARALYZER"....for its ability to join batteries in parallel.

Regarding the 60volts.....I recal that Jason at e-bikekit.com said it would....but you need to check with him first. And I need to stay out of giving advice that basically makes your handcycle need a DMV tag....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ColonusFan View Post
    Dear MarkB701,

What happened to the other rear wheels? Are they just not attached? Have you cut the weight of your trike design in exchange for a little strawberry knuckle road rash?

Do share.
    Lol....I thought I'd mess with some of your minds with this pic....basically the back wheels are off the bike, thats all.

I am using the fact that the bike can rest on the center stand of the Power Pod to make a system where you can cycle to a destination and then remove the HC wheels and put them on a basic wheelchair frame. The frame would be mounted on the Pod. You could cycle to the lake with friends; convert to the chair, then cycle home.....still working on the details though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Bought another battery today (5 total 12ah batteries now) and I wired it in Paralell with the forth battery and figured it would give me extra range. To my surprise it did not, I went around 25 miles before I started slowing down from 25 mph to 13 mph. Maybe it was not fully charged or something. I bought it from Batteries plus and they told me it had a full charge. That should work right for anyone in the know? 4 of the batteries are connected in series and the fifth I bought today we put in Paralell off the 4th battery. I thought for sure I'd go over 30 miles. I soldered all the connectors directly to the batteries and that seemed to work great. Maybe I should try connecting the new battery in series with the forth one and give that a try tomorrow? What I could do is just back down the throttle a little bit as in series it should get the bike up to at least 30mph and I don't want to go more than 25 mph. Mark, would that work ok? ya know how the forth battery connects with the two for one split connector, today I had the two in Paralell positive to positive and negitive to negitive. If I connect positive to negitive and positive to negitive that should connect the other three with those two in series right thus yielding 60 volts? I think it's ok to run these motor on 60 volts right? You can see in my picture, there are three connected in series in the bottom pack and the two up top were connect in paralell.

One problem I'm having which really is not all that big of a problem is that I'm spinning the rear wheel under acceleration, it starts to hop a little bit when this happens, I think this will get even worse running 60 volts, guess I'll have to lay into the throttle a little more easy rather than just going full every time I hit it. With the 60 volts it may start to smoke the rear wheel lol, if I go full throttle.
    Hey Kurt,
    Try putting some weight on the cycle carrier. Put the 12v booster pack on that carrier and it will be a nice amount of weight to help get the power down to the road.

Also, the reason I forbid placing the 36v battery on the Power Pod is because it may be dangerous for the very sleek and low racers (Force-R's etc). When placed on a bike like the FreedomRyder there is much less risk of rolling, since the weight distribution is different.
    Last edited by MarkB701; 03-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Hey Kurt,
    Try putting some weight on the cycle carrier. Put the 12v booster pack on that carrier and it will be a nice amount of weight to help get the power down to the road.

Also, the reason I forbid placing the 36v battery on the Power Pod is because it may be dangerous for the very sleek and low racers (Force-R's etc). When placed on a bike like the FreedomRyder there is much less risk of rolling, since the weight distribution is different.
    The unit is top heavy as it is Curt. I suggest taking the exra batteries off the carrier before taking it off the bike. I'd hate to hear you split several batteries when the carrier tipped over.

I really think I'm going to go with a street tire on the PP as I have knobby now and that is not as effective in getting the power to the ground as would be a tire with more rubber touching the ground. I really like going through the twisties at high speeds so I try and keep the center of gravity as low as possible even though I lean hard into the corners.

I am having a blast with the power pod though, it has added a whole new dimension to my rides. It is nice on the hot days here in Florida too as @ 25.5 mph I stay a lot cooler, plus not working my body as hard so even at 90 degrees it still can be a enjoyable ride and not misery.

I decieded not to even attempt hooking 60 volts up to the motor, I understand it cuts down the motor life and I really have no need to go 30 mph, 25.5 is fast enough and now that I have range of 30 miles at those high speeds it is all good. At 16 mph or so I'm sure I could go 40 miles.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred