Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

how much does that thing cost and do the batteries hod up good there probably expensive batteries
    but looks really cool and helpful
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    how much does that thing cost and do the batteries hod up good there probably expensive batteries
    but looks really cool and helpful

The pricing is menitoned at the end, but the details are here http://www.roadracepowerpod.com/pricing--contact.html

Personally, I love the SLA batteries. They are pretty cheap (at around $47 for each 12v cell). That works out at about 2 or 3 tanks of gas in my van....but these batteries last a good few years. The wiring, battery bag and charger costs a bit more on top.

I just received the comment that the video is too long......very good point. I'm going to try to make a 2 minute version.....

Heres another pic of the power pod in the back of my truck, everything fits in nicely. The power pod is very easy to lift in the bed. I actually figured out even a easier way of doing it. With the kickstand down I tilt the power pod back and catch the kick stand under the tailgait and then lift in, this gives more leverage therefore making it a lot easier to lift. I reverse this procedure taking it out.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Ok, this is the FINAL version....cut it down to just 3 minutes....

And Curt.....that also demonstrates why it is easier to load the handcycle when the motor wheel is not part of the handcycle. Lifting the whole bike up that high from a chair would not be fun. Nice truck too...

That pretty well sums up the powerpod Mark; great final cut. It's nice to be able to train or just ride with little or no strain at all. Everytime I go by the unit, I give 'er a little pat.

I just can't believe something like this came along just when I needed it most. This allows everyone, even those who can't push the cranks, a chance to get out and ride with friends and family at a good pace. I love passing cyclists who previously would just nod as they sped by.

power pac

Way Cool

Yep, I'm definately addicted to the go fast rides I'm doing now, I don't think I could ever go back to regular riding at this point. That Vermont Marathon I do every year is going to be tough this year without the powerpod, I wish I could just make it invisable, lol.

Anyhow, I'm going to have get a better battery setup other than just the 12 ah batteries, the most I can seem to do with them at higher speeds is around 30 miles, thats about a 1.5 hour ride. I'm thinking maybe 15 ah batteries would do the trick. I'm just thinking what if I were to ride a MS 150 or something, they generally ride 75 miles a day and it would be nice to be able to ride right up there with the fast cyclists. So, I'm going to look into gel or lithium batteries, I'm preparing myself for sticker shock already, I guess I could use my current batteries as back ups.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Bought another battery today (5 total 12ah batteries now) and I wired it in Paralell with the forth battery and figured it would give me extra range. To my surprise it did not, I went around 25 miles before I started slowing down from 25 mph to 13 mph. Maybe it was not fully charged or something. I bought it from Batteries plus and they told me it had a full charge. That should work right for anyone in the know? 4 of the batteries are connected in series and the fifth I bought today we put in Paralell off the 4th battery. I thought for sure I'd go over 30 miles. I soldered all the connectors directly to the batteries and that seemed to work great. Maybe I should try connecting the new battery in series with the forth one and give that a try tomorrow? What I could do is just back down the throttle a little bit as in series it should get the bike up to at least 30mph and I don't want to go more than 25 mph. Mark, would that work ok? ya know how the forth battery connects with the two for one split connector, today I had the two in Paralell positive to positive and negitive to negitive. If I connect positive to negitive and positive to negitive that should connect the other three with those two in series right thus yielding 60 volts? I think it's ok to run these motor on 60 volts right? You can see in my picture, there are three connected in series in the bottom pack and the two up top were connect in paralell.

One problem I'm having which really is not all that big of a problem is that I'm spinning the rear wheel under acceleration, it starts to hop a little bit when this happens, I think this will get even worse running 60 volts, guess I'll have to lay into the throttle a little more easy rather than just going full every time I hit it. With the 60 volts it may start to smoke the rear wheel lol, if I go full throttle.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 03-21-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I put less air in the pp wheel Curt, that helped with the tire spinning. Also gave a bit more traction' like you need it with 5 batteries lol.