Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

I gotta say this thing is awesome I've ridden with it on the Handcycle 3 times now and no problems at all. Today I did my first ride with the 4 battery option (48 volt) and the thing fly's. I was cruising along the bike path @ 25 mph and did a 30 mile ride, went by pretty quick. The install was not bad, real straight forward. It's quite the thrill riding at these higher speeds, at first it feels like you are going at fighter jet speeds, felt like Captain Kirk in the USS enterprise hitting warp speed, but then as time goes by you get use to it. Now that I've ridden the 48 volt, I don't think I'll be able to go back to the 36 volt even though that felt pretty fast at first.

I did do a little off road riding my first ride on some dirt carriage roads and again no problems at all. It tracks very well especially with the knobby offroad tire I have. Basically like 2 wheel drive as you are driving the front wheel with your arms and the rear powered wheel is pushing you along.

I can highly recommend these Handcycle add on drives, just get one, adds a whole new dimension to handcycling. Kinda brought back memories of my motorcycle days with wind blowing on my face just cruising along through the great outdoors.

Heres a picture of the power pod on my Freedom Ryder FRH-1

Editing this to say, more pictures will be added later.

Here is Marks website http://roadracepowerpod.com/
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 02-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Nice trail Curt. No cars must be nice. I too sure like the Powerpod and am about to spring for the extra battery to get that jet like feel. Where did you mount the extra battery?

I hope Mark expands this wonderful product to the seniors riding tricycles. It would be a great benefit for them to keep riding.

I can't recommend this PP high enough. I think it has allowd me to kep riding with less fatigue on the shoulders.

Thanks Mark for this wonderful invewntion. I trust those who previously thought they wouldn't be able to handcycle will now be able to because of the PowerPOd.

I mounted it on top of the rack on the Powerpod, I know your not suppose to mount the three batteries because of the extra weight and the possibility of going over, but one battery is not that heavy. There was a special adaptor included by Mark to connect the
    4th battery which worked great.

Ya, I notice my shoulders being less up tight lately, I play a lot of Tennis too and think too much handcycling was burning me out too much. The power pod still gets me out there and I think just spinning along is good for the body, almost like aerobics.

Note, where I mounted the kill switch in the photo, when you get yours you should mount in around that spot. When it is off it is in the forward position, so no way to hit when getting on the handcycle.

Ya, the riding is nice around here, nice not to have to struggle going up those bridges anymore, especially when tired out at the end of a ride. Last ride I had a huge headwind returning home, glad I had the power pod.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Glad you guys are getting good use out of your 'Pods.......

....and Curt, I'd love to see some more (better) pictures of your whole rig please.

Heres another picture of my view cruising down a dirt road behind the developement where I live. I never would dare to venture down this dirt road without the power pod for fear of getting stuck in sand or having a animal chase after me and not being able to get away, with the power pod, no problems, the road actually lead to a beautiful horse farm I did not even know was there.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Really nice!

It would be great to keep up with my cycling training partners going uphill!

Quote Originally Posted by Dado View Post
    Really nice!

It would be great to keep up with my cycling training partners going uphill!
    \

Not only would you keep up D, you'd pass them bigtime.

Just tell em your a little slower than normal as you blow past em because you are towing a trailer
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I've spent some time looking into bicycle hub motors. They have really come a long way in the last few years. Just watch some of the PowerPod videos, and you'll see what even a basic setup is capable of. They are pretty awesome. I have been thinking about building a couple hub motor setups for handcycles. One plan is to take an old upright bike (Quickie Mach III) that someone gave to me and get rid of the drivetrain altogether. I've already got a triple-clamp fork that I plan to put on the front. The biggest reason I haven't gotten it together yet is because of the batteries. According to the people I talked to, they said that SLA batteries (sealed lead-acid) aren't even worth using. However, after watching the PowerPod videos, it looks like they are perfectly sufficient. My plan is to set up the Mach III without cranks and have something that I can use to run errands. I figured a crankless setup would be better for taking into the grocery store.

Anyway, which motor and controller does the PowerPod employ? I was planning on running a Crystalyte 35-series hub motor. Not sure which winding as of yet. I might look into running two 36V LiFePo batteries that can be switched between series and parallel (essentially making a two-speed motor), but I'm not sure how practical such a setup would be. I suspect that running 72V would be get the speed up to 40 mph or so. However, I don't think I would want to take a Quickie Mach III up to that speed. Is anyone running a LiFePo battery with their PowerPod?
    Live fast. Die.

Finally.....this is the definitive POWER POD video. It's the best bits of the other videos PLUS it has footage of when I attached it to my TRICYCLE......proved to be alot of fun.

What do you think??? Does it who enough of the detail of it? Is the music too distracting??

Anyway, If you happen to be a fan of the Pod, then please help me out by telling other people about it, using this video.....THANKS