Thread: TruMobility Attachable Handcycle: SURVEY

TruMobility Attachable Handcycle: SURVEY

Hello everyone!

I am a college graduate student and I am looking to start up a socially minded business dedicated to providing attachable handcycles to individuals in wheelchairs throughout the world. I will be selling the devices in the U.S. and a portion of every sale will go towards manufacturing 2 devices in Kenya, Africa, where they will be donated to locals.

I am currently doing some market research right now to get your opinion on my product. Here is a link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P7N9537

It would be greatly appreciated if you could take the time to briefly answer the questions in the survey.

Thanks!

Also, feel free to post any questions about my product and business in this forum.

Blog Entries
    I started to take the survey, but there are so many inconsistencies that I stopped. 1. Making the seat frame and attachment points with bamboo does not inspire any confidence in durability. 2. Strapping the frame to the top of the existing seat would not stay stable long enough to actually use it. 3. When you say that the profits from each sale will go to making 2 devices in Kenya, do you mean that each sale will result in 2 devices? 4. Are the devices handcycles? 5. Using used bicycle parts means that there will be no consistency in the devices or how they are manufactured.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thank you for your response. I can see your concern that bamboo may not be durable enough, but in reality, bamboo is stronger than steel when dried. The joints are also very strong because we are using a natural epoxy/hemp fiber composite that basically forms a solid frame. I can also see your concern about the seat strap, but we have prototyped a device and the straps have not loosened up at all. The whole idea of using bamboo and bicycle parts is that we can manufacture devices to donate to individuals in developing countries for only $35 each. Also, bamboo and used bicycle parts are widely available in many developing countries.

If you take a look at the 3 pictures in the upper right on the diagram in the survey, you will notice that we have built an actual physical prototype. The bamboo holds up just fine, as well as the seat attachment.

When I say that each sale will go towards manufacturing 2 devices in Africa, I am saying that for each handcycle (made from aluminum) sold in the U.S., a portion of the profit from that sale will go towards manufacturing 2 handcycles in Kenya (made from bamboo and used bicycle parts). Those 2 handcycles that are manufactured in Kenya will be donated to people in need located in Kenya. It is a 1 for 2 philosophy where customers in the U.S. would not only benefit from purchasing a device for themselves, but they would also be receiving the benefit of knowing that they changed the lives of 2 people in Kenya.

As far as using the used bicycle parts to manufacture the devices in Kenya, there will be small inconsistencies in the dimensions of the handcycles, but the overall manufacturing process will remain the same. The manufacturing is done by hand and we have accounted for the different types of bike parts in our design.