Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stay with CCS Medical or is there better?

Stay with CCS Medical or is there better?

I'm interested in feedback from those that had CCS Medical and went to another supplier, and how that compared. I like CCS as the stuff shows up when it is supposed to. It has been fairly transparent and trouble free until this year, where I recieved a nasty little surprise regarding my supplies...

After not getting anything supplies-wise, I called to see what was up. Turns out that as company policy, they are requiring a yearly Rx update for supplies, even if your insurance carrier doesnt require them to have it. I contacted my insurance, and they stated that they were not requesting any documentation yearly, just send them the bill, they know I'm not getting any better.

In talking with a manager over at CCS, it turns out that about 50% of the customers that have my insurance carrier need a yearly Rx update as required by the carrier, the other 50% do not. I fall into the latter 50%. Even though I offered to conference-call in a representative from my insurance carrier familiar with my situation to confirm, they still would not ship without a new Rx.

Now I havent been to a Dr in some 2-3 years, so when they called for a Rx renewal from the last Dr that wrote the Rx, of course in his greed he refused to renew it (obviously wants $$$ from a fresh visit/more visits, to rubber-stamp a sheet of paper). So when CCS did not get the renewal...no supplies for me.

Considering the blanket regulation that CCS is dreaming up that has no relevence on my situation, and that I spent a number of hours on the phone with various entities today because of this, I'm kind of peeved.

Thus, I am thinking of dropping CCS. I'm sure the 5 figures of business I'm giving could dig up better customer service so I'm not dealing with this BS.

So what cath suppliers are good, timely, non-pain in the ass? And while I'm thinking of this, I recall something about some suppliers eating the co-pay also...any good ones worth mentioning that are willing to do this too?

Thanks for any tips!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of CCS either. We've had many problems with them. The most annoying being inconsistent deliveries, substituting supplies (ex. sudden change in type of gloves, type of lubricant, different catheters), and difficulty with claims. Although things are more stable lately I have still been meaning to change because I hate giving $$ to places so poorly run with inconsistent customer service. I can totally see CCS simply refusing to do what is reasonable, instead wanting to lump all patients into "get a new script every year....".

The place we were considering was recommended by the owner of NextSteps in the Chicago area. NextSteps is run by a quad.

http://www.acceleratedmedicalservices.com/2.html

The owner of accelerated also has a family member who has a SCI. I prefer giving my business to a place like this. Unfortunately, I can't give a personal recommendation because we haven't used them yet.

Yeah, I understand your frustration about the doctor visit to get new scripts. I find those things frustrating too. Then again, shouldn't you have a check-up once a year, anyway ? I think it is a liability issue as well. Doctors really shouldn't write prescriptions for people that they don't follow regularly. Doesn't seem like it should be an issue for something like supplies though. Maybe you can meet with your doc one more time and make an agreement to continue yearly scripts for your ongoing needs, and reassure him that you would call or come in if your needs change.

If it's worth anything, my Dad's docs wont write a script if they haven't seen him in a year either. I think it is kind of an unofficial guideline.

Yeah, I kind of figured as much regarding the Rx stuff. I kind of miss the last 9 years of not having to do this though. I think I got the issue resolved for now with an appointment scheduled next month...will confirm this on Monday

I've opened a shipment from CCS a couple months back and found a substitution also...12F instead of 14F...damn those are flimsey and hard to work with. Went into deep 'extras' storage...I'm sure as hell not dragging that big box to UPS to return it.

I gave up fighting insurance for catheters long ago. I buy mine out of pocket & re-use them for a while. I just did a personal experiment to see how long I could re-use the same 5 catheters (washing them w/ liquid antibacterial soap after each use). It lasted 5 months, no UTI, no problem. *shrug* I could probably keep going w/ it...

I just bought 3 boxes of 30 from exmed.net for $18.50/ea. That's just over $0.60 per cath. I figure that order will last for a bit.

http://www.exmed.net/p-2322-cure-16-...-catheter.aspx

As a previous employee of CCS Medical, all I can say is that compliance with Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurers was a critical issue. If a script or a Physician's Work Order was required by the insurer, CCS could not ship supplies until all documentation was collected. CCS did not gain by NOT shipping your supplies. Just the contrary. And if you decide to switch to another reputable supplier, why do you think they won't require the same documentation? They're driven by the rules of the payors. They don't make this stuff up.

I don't want a lot of flack on this. I was there for 10 years and had nothing but respect for the Compliance team.

Larry Molter
    Former IT Supervisor
    CCS Medical, Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lmolter View Post
    If a script or a Physician's Work Order was required by the insurer, CCS could not ship supplies until all documentation was collected.
    The issue was that this documentation was NOT required by the carrier, but a blanket policy at the CCS level created the headache for me. They were aware that their policy was creating unneccessary trouble for me, but would not budge from their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The issue was that this documentation was NOT required by the carrier, but a blanket policy at the CCS level created the headache for me. They were aware that their policy was creating unneccessary trouble for me, but would not budge from their position.
    Just fire them. There are plenty of suppliers out there.

Odd that an ex-employee came to defend them...

I've found Byram Healthcare to be solid. They have helped me on multiple occasions weed through the insurance labyrinth. Not perfect, but better than many.

I became an ex-employee due to a company move to Dallas. My colleagues and I chose not to go and were laid off. I defended them because I felt that they were doing the best they could given the constraints of the business. Now, granted, the ostomy and urological business was handled out of their Atlanta office. That business unit had different rules than the diabetic unit out of corporate in Clearwater. But I still don't think there were 'blanket' policies in place. It was payor-based. Not to say it was bullet proof, though.

Just to be fair, take the advice of the other responders and try someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by lmolter View Post
    But I still don't think there were 'blanket' policies in place. It was payor-based. Not to say it was bullet proof, though.
    New blanket policy this year from what I'm told.

From what I'm gathering some insurances actually want 6 month renewals on this stuff...I'm having a hard time seeing how this might 'save' waste or 'fraud' (are people ebay'ing this stuff? lol), considering there might be a good chance the carrier might have to shell out $$ for more Dr visits to generate all this paperwork. Rather retarded if you ask me.