Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bravo-Amerigroup (use to be Health & Human Resources)

I believe it is the Republicans that want to reduce the size of parts of the public safety net (like Medicaid) so that for profit companies are free to do more of what they do best (make money).

Amerigroup is a for-profit company that is doing fantastic (and is expanding) helping to squeeze unnecessary costs from State Medicaid budgets. If you have any resources I would suggest that you offset your reduction in Medicaid coverage by investing them in AGP stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I agree it's a mess. So the president has NO control over states?

As I understand it, a large portion of funding for each state's Medicaid program comes from Federal government grants, but the majority comes from the State. There is supposed to be some additional amounts from the Federal monies if the state is particularly poor, but the distribution of money is not very "fair". States that have very large poor populations often struggle more to fund their Medicaid programs. These are often states with large cities that have more people using Medicaid, or states that are simply poor for other reasons.

There is supposed to be some general federal "oversight" of the Medicaid programs, but all program details are really negotiated within each state. So, I doubt that the Federal government is watching closely to see who covers gloves, and who doesn't, for example. It seems to me that even though Medicare and Medicaid share many aspects, there is more variation in Medicaid benefits on a state by state basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I believe it is the Republicans that want to reduce the size of parts of the public safety net (like Medicaid) so that for profit companies are free to do more of what they do best (make money).

Amerigroup is a for-profit company that is doing fantastic (and is expanding) helping to squeeze unnecessary costs from State Medicaid budgets. If you have any resources I would suggest that you offset your reduction in Medicaid coverage by investing them in AGP stock.

I have so much distaste for AGP even if I was going to make money from their stock I wouldn't invest in them.

I'm really going to have to do alot of praying over this.
    They're ready to say no before you even get it out.

hlh I wish I understood more of government & what's going on.
    Of course I wish it was good for everyone.
    I have a 56 y/o pca that needs to see a Dr. & can't. No ins..
    Works constantly. single mom putting son through college & daughter that's a Junior in HS fixing to start college.
    Most of my pca's have no ins.

But right now I need gloves. lol

Mona, if you can't get reimbursement, you can buy a case of 10 boxes, $36 shipped, from Allegro:

http://www.allegromedical.com/person...s-p214276.html

Mona,

In looking at Texas Medicaid I found a program called Star Plus: It seems to be a waiver program for the disabled and elderly.

Do you know if this is what you are already on? The second link shows all the coverages.

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/handbook...1000/index.htm

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/handbook...00.htm#sec1141

Services necessary for the individual to remain in or return to the community are identified from the array of services available through the 1915(c) STAR+PLUS Waiver (SPW) program. SPW services include:

Adaptive Aids and Medical Supplies — Medical equipment and supplies that include devices, controls or appliances specified in the plan of care that enable individuals to increase their abilities to perform activities of daily living or to perceive, control or communicate with the environment in which they live.

All of our insurances are making cuts so gloves may be what Texas Medicaid is cutting too for its patients. I just recently had to switch my insurance/drug plan.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 02-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Mona,

In looking at Texas Medicaid I found a program called Star Plus: It seems to be a waiver program for the disabled and elderly.

Do you know if this is what you are already on? The second link shows all the coverages.

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/handbook...1000/index.htm

http://www.dads.state.tx.us/handbook...00.htm#sec1141

All of our insurances are making cuts so gloves may be what Texas Medicaid is cutting too for its patients. I just recently had to switch my insurance/drug plan.

THANKS SCAPER!!! THAT'S HALF OF THE $7 A BOX I'VE BEEN PAYING!!!
    I APPRECIATE THE LINK ALOT!

THANKS T that's the program I'm on & that shows it should be covered!
    It's been covered for 6 yrs through Texas Human Resources.
    But every since I was switched to Bravo they say NO!
    I'm still trying to appeal.

THANK EVERYONE! I'LL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON MY APPEAL!

Curious as to what you are supposed to do instead of disposables. wash out your gloves? So while the entire world is increasing use of disposable gloves, Texas Medicaid expects you to use none!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Curious as to what you are supposed to do instead of disposables. wash out your gloves? So while the entire world is increasing use of disposable gloves, Texas Medicaid expects you to use none!?!

I know seriously! They take care of my bowel program!

They said my pca's need to buy their own. Yeah right.
    I can see that happening. lol

Yes - in the US, insurance companies consider gloves a "convenience" or "cosmetic" item. Not medically necessary. Generally, not covered.

I wonder if the people who run those companies would agree with this, if they were forced to do a bowel program on themselves for 1 week.

Of course not! Praying my meds are okay.

Thanks for everyone's comments!