Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking the Dog

Walking the Dog

My husband is a T4 injury and has been playing around with different ways to get back in to walking our dog. He's having trouble finding a good place to put the leash, so that he can wheel himself and also be able to get to the leash quickly if need be. Right now, he attaches the leash to his chair (near the push handles in the back) with a "mommy hook" that we took off our daughter's stroller. It works well enough, but doesn't feel totally secure. Any suggestions?

I have same problem and just bought some Velcro on eBay. I put it around the handle on the retractable leash and then around the tubing on front of chAir I have a strap that ... Never mind. I will snap pic later and show you lol
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by acleyba View Post
    My husband is a T4 injury and has been playing around with different ways to get back in to walking our dog. He's having trouble finding a good place to put the leash, so that he can wheel himself and also be able to get to the leash quickly if need be. Right now, he attaches the leash to his chair (near the push handles in the back) with a "mommy hook" that we took off our daughter's stroller. It works well enough, but doesn't feel totally secure. Any suggestions?
    Well my suggestion won't help you secure the leash to the wheelchair, investing in a gentle leader, if you do not already use one, will give much more control to your husband. It can take a little while for the dog to get used to it but once he does he will tug a lot less and his tugs will be minor. Hope that helps!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I don't know if your husband has one, but I have a loop on the front of my seat cushion, used to easily pull the cushion off when disassembling it. When I take my dog out, I attach the leash to that loop using a carabiner. That way she is attached to the front and center of my chair, making it more difficult for her to flip me over. I hope this helps.

Pic of strap and velcro

I use a retractable as if not, the leash just under my wheels..I just untie the vlecro and loop the leash handle into it..works good so far!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

i put a belt through the leash handle then arond my waist works great

I have a 3/8 hole drilled in the seat pan(crotch area) with a quick hook. I have a bigger dog and that keeps him from tipping me in a "cat moment" Also helps to keep leash from getting wrapped around wheels .I have a friend whose dog will pull him around the 'hood in his manual chair.

Hope you don't have a runner, becuase I've been flipped by my dog attaching him to my chair. Walking in a rural area and some turkey came from nowhere, another time it was just a phantom squirrel. He's getting better though.
    I have been struggling with this a while and just walk him with something slipped over my wrist, the dog has adjusted. I also use the retractable and wear a glove that holds it more securely. This way my hand is just stuck in there and I grip the chair same way as if I was pushing with a tennis racket. Obviously I have good grip though, even though small hands makes it hard.
    I just caution anyone hooking the leash to their chair because if you flip the dog is taking the chair with him.
    Perhaps we need to invent a better handle on the retractable leashes. I hope someone has a good solution.
    Last edited by addiesue; 02-17-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Blog Entries
    I use a retractable leash, and hook it to the frame with a 4" snap link - I think that I got it at the Dollar Store. Fortunately our dog is a Chihuahua, and can't tip the chair over
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Didnt read all the replies yet... But how about a euro leash over the shoulder? Thats what I do. You can get an extra long one. If you're interested in one and can't find the right length you want let me know.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.