Thread: Best 'Boot Camp' movies, and other sources of inspiration for 'military role-play'

Best 'Boot Camp' movies, and other sources of inspiration for 'military role-play'

Hi everyone,

In two weeks, I'm going on a weekend trip with a group of about fifteen cub scouts. Call it a miniature version of summer camp, except that we won't be sleeping in tents for once, since we still get sub-zero temperatures on a regular basis this time of year.

As we do on any such occasion, we again chose a theme that will serve as the backdrop against which all of the activities will be taking place during the weekend. The theme we agreed upon is 'boot camp'. I know there are a numbre of people here who were in the military in real life at some point, so I thought I'd turn to you guys for some inspiration.

Before I get yelled at for subjecting a bunch of elementary school kids to something like that, let me be clear here: the idea is not for them to be doing push-ups in the rain at midnight with a weight around their necks, or anything even remotely as cruel and unusual as that. We're doing this because we think a little bit of 'esprit de corps' and a little bit of discipline can't hurt, even among ten-year-olds, and because, well, it's kind of fun to play soldier for a while, despite the fact that it is by no means our intention to promote the armed forces in any way. We'll have them do things like use map and compass, build and navigate an obstacle course, use walkie-talkies to communicate with each other in code, learn a drill routine, and hold a shooting contest with water guns.

So the schedule of activities is more or less established. What I'm looking for now is inspiration on how to act like a 'drill sergeant' without being too serious about it. I was thinking I'd watch a movie or two, but recent movies about boot camp (read: the kind that I might be able to find in a local video store, because there's not much to be found on iTunes in Belgium) seem non-existant. I guess it's kind of hard to make money poking fun at the military while real people are out there waging war on two fronts.

So, I turn to you guys: any ideas on movies I could watch or, failing that, on ways to flesh out this theme a little bit? It's actually someone else who will be playing the 'drill sergeant' (I'll be a high-ranking officer who's lazy to the point of insisting on going everywhere by tank instead of walking), but I'd still be grateful for any ideas and pointers you can give me. I'm also looking for ideas on how to do a 'kid-friendly' version of the 'crossing the line' ceremony that's held on Navy ships when they cross the equator.

Thanks in advance for anything you can come up with.

- Sara

First its a DI= Drill Instructor. Not a drill Sargent.
    He is a father figure. When you meet him you need him for everything. What to do, when to do it, how to do it. When you leave boot camp you don't need him for anything, because he has taught you how to be a soldier.
    For a group of kids on a weekend, the only thing I can think that might be useful and fun is an obstacle course. With the objective being to get the whole group through in the fastest time. Run it at the start of the weekend and then at the end. See if they can learn each others strengths over the weekend to get through the course faster.

Lightbulb

"An Officer and a Gentleman" is an excellent movie. "GI Jane" has bad acting but shows Navy SEAL training. Others are "Biloxi Blues" ; "Stripes" ; "Heartbreak Ridge" ; "The DI" ; "Full Metal Jacket."

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    "An Officer and a Gentleman" is an excellent movie. "GI Jane" has bad acting but shows Navy SEAL training. Others are "Biloxi Blues" ; "Stripes" ; "Heartbreak Ridge" ; "The DI" ; "Full Metal Jacket."
    Of which maybe 5 minutes of each can be viewed by/applied to kids.

I would rent Meatballs with Bill Murray (Meatballs 2 had war games I think but a far inferior film) Taking these films and simply putting them into military context
    would be way more kid friendly. LOL.

Here is one list of "top" Military films. I didn't see To Hell and Back with Mr. Murphy, I would include that.

http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-cult...-time?page=0,2
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Of which maybe 5 minutes of each can be viewed by/applied to kids.
    Umm ... the OP never said anything about the KIDS watching the movies ... The OP asked for movies that demonstrate how a drill instructor acts. I got the impression that the OP would be watching the films for inspiration.

The first episode of Band of Brothers (Currahee).

Bonus: watching Ross from Friends be an absolute dick.

Then over-act for comic effect.

Indeed, Joe, I won't be watching these movies while the kids are around. I know full well that most 'boot camp' movies are essentially war movies (to be expected), and I don't think I want to be the one responsible for exposing a group of little kids to that.

Thanks for the list. I'll go find out which ones I can get my hands on around here. And thanks baldfatdad. I sense you may have gone through basic at some point yourself (or better yet: were you a DI? ).