Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Reeve: Israel is at center of world research on paralysis

mk99,

I don't understand how visiting doctors and Israeli patients will help us. When he embarks on his fact finding mission I hope he finds something new & cutting edge however, I don't see why the same thing can't be accomplished by making a few phone calls. Of course he should not be using the CRPF funds. Indeed, he and everybody can do what they choose with their money. As far as I know, he isn't using any of his own money. About his way of thinking. In a post I got slightly ripped for when I first joined this forum I pointed out how I for one was blown off by him. I wrote a letter to him asking if we could either meet or correspond. NADA no reply nothing. When I called his foundation they were highly, irritable & tacky. I couldn't get anywhere with them. They could offer me nothing. Email address, agent, contact information or anything else that could be useful. Last but not least, I attended one of his speeches and it was worse than looking at a picture of my grandmother n EH HEM. Honestly his speech was repulsive. It was completely misrepresented. The whole thing was about will power healed his ankle wound heh. All I heard was memememe IIIIIIIIIIIII. Apparently I'm not the only one who felt that way. Anyway, I don't like discussing CR because I tend to get ugly.

Wise, was he invited or did he choose to go? If he was invited, down the drain with my first post

"Failure is impossible"

Defiler,

I have also been slightly frustrated when dealing with the CRPF. It's not easy to get through to them and I have not found them very good with returning any emails.

I disagree with you about Israel. Why? Proneuron is the perfect example. This is an Israeli company that managed to run a promising phase 1 HUMAN trial WITH FDA approval. First phase trials were run in Israel... but now they are working on expanding the trial to acutes in the US. (with Craig Hospital in Colorado)

Where am I going with this? The point is that this is a great effort... but it's still slightly early in the game. The successful precedent done by Proneuron makes it far easier to run a similar trial with possibly more promising "cures" ... ie: stem cells in the not too distant future. It's much faster & easier to follow an established path than to re-create the wheel.

CR is not an idiot. He can see that for many different reasons (which I won't get into here) Israel is probably ahead of US in this technolology and will most likely get to human trials first... WITH FDA approval.

I'm sure you've heard "A picture is worth a thousand words". I think in this case "A human face is worth a thousand phone calls".

My $.02 worth.

Defiler:
    Tune in and hear for yourself:
    Wednesday, July 30
    http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/
    Christopher Reeve makes an arduous journey across the globe for a cause that's the center of his life. He talks to Larry from Tel Aviv.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Reeve Implores Israel to Help Disabled

Reeve Implores Israel to Help Disabled
    Mon Jul 28, 2:36 PM ET

By MARK LAVIE, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - Beginning a five-day trip to Israel to study advances in spinal treatment, paralyzed actor Christopher Reeve (news) appealed Monday for urgent research to help victims of injuries and illness.

AP Photo

Reeve gained fame portraying "Superman" in movies in the 1990s but was paralyzed from the neck down in a riding accident in 1995. Since then, he has campaigned for stepped up research into treatment of spinal cord injuries.

"It's important that scientists realize the sense of urgency, that everyday counts for patients," Reeve told Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, with reporters in the room. Reeve urged scientists not to be deterred by the size of the challenge of rehabilitating badly injured people. "There have been many times when things were thought to be impossible, and now it's routine," he said, noting test-tube babies, heart transplants and walks on the moon.

Shalom said that Israeli scientists are working on solutions for disabled people. "We hope together to bring them new hope and a better future," he said.

Israel is a leader in the field of spinal injury treatment, as well as stem-cell research, which has been limited in some locations because it often involves the use of human embryos as well as placentas.

Israel has no law regulating embryonic stem cell research. In a statement, Reeve said he "has been very interested in the projects Israel's researchers have been working on in recent years."

The U.S. government has limited stem-cell research because of the embryo issue, but Reeve has been critical of the official policy. In April, he said social and religious conservatives "have had undue influence on the critical debate."

During his trip, Reeve, 50, will meet injured Israelis, including Elad Wassa, a 25-year-old Ethiopian immigrant paralyzed from the chest down in a Palestinian suicide bombing in May 2002. Reeve has corresponded with Wassa.

Reeve plans a news conference on Tuesday at the Weizmann Institute of Science in the city of Rehovot, south of Tel Aviv, where some of the research is being conducted.

___

On the Net:

http://www.christopherreeve.org/

Originally posted by defiler:

mk99,

I don't understand how visiting doctors and Israeli patients will help us. When he embarks on his fact finding mission I hope he finds something new & cutting edge however, I don't see why the same thing can't be accomplished by making a few phone calls. Of course he should not be using the CRPF funds. Indeed, he and everybody can do what they choose with their money. As far as I know, he isn't using any of his own money. About his way of thinking. In a post I got slightly ripped for when I first joined this forum I pointed out how I for one was blown off by him. I wrote a letter to him asking if we could either meet or correspond. NADA no reply nothing. When I called his foundation they were highly, irritable & tacky. I couldn't get anywhere with them. They could offer me nothing. Email address, agent, contact information or anything else that could be useful. Last but not least, I attended one of his speeches and it was worse than looking at a picture of my grandmother n EH HEM. Honestly his speech was repulsive. It was completely misrepresented. The whole thing was about will power healed his ankle wound heh. All I heard was memememe IIIIIIIIIIIII. Apparently I'm not the only one who felt that way. Anyway, I don't like discussing CR because I tend to get ugly.

Wise, was he invited or did he choose to go? If he was invited, down the drain with my first post

"Failure is impossible"

You definately not alone. I have similar experience with CR foundtion & same impression after listening his speach two years ago in Montreal...And I think he can pay for himself unless those who invite him, pay his expences.....

But he is much better than nothing in our circumstances

What I hate that some people try to make new "cult of personality" of CR & he tend to like it...

Some journalists write-"He put a Human face on paralysis!"
    So all of us were just monkey faces of paralysis?

Defiler,

I think the Christopher was invited by his hosts in Israel.

I have probably sat through more speeches by Christopher Reeve than any other person here over the past 8 years. I know how difficult it is to give speeches to audiences of this kind. In general, he is speaking to people who are not spinal-injured. What shines through in his speeches is his passion for research, his conviction that it will produce a cure, and his unwillingness to compromise.

Without Christopher, we probably would be in far worse shape regarding stem cell research. He rallied people around the stem cell issue when most scientists could not speak to the human side. I am profoundly grateful to him for his leadership.

For a small country, Israel has contributed a great deal to spinal cord injury research. Almost singlehandedly, Michal Schwartz has reversed the notion that inflammation is bad and introduced the concept that inflammation is necessary for repair and regeneration. She also took things to clinical trial. I think that it is fitting that Christopher is throwing the spotlight on Israel.

Wise.

Must I illuminate the fact that Israel is also one of the biggest causes/contributors of spinal cord injuries. I just read that during the current Palestinian uprising nearly 10,000 Palestinians have acquired spinal cord injuries from Israeli Defence Force beatings, rubber bullets, real bullets, shelling, etc. Too bad none of them have benefited from Israel's advanced SCI rehabilitation or research. They also got no attention from Christopher Reeve.

mk99,

Good point "A human face is worth a thousand phone calls."

Max,

I completely agree. He is much better than nothing in our circumstance. That is the way of the world. Until something tragic happens to somebody in the public eye, we the non-popular people will always don monkey masks.

Wise,

Thank you for clearing that up. Agreed we'd be in a MUCH worse position than we are without him. I am grateful that we are where we are and owe some of that gratitude to him for his leadership. "Throwing the spotlight to Israel" is an excellent point I didn't think of. That is a whole new perspective that could potentially shift gears so to speak.

"Failure is impossible"

Real-life Superman Reeve, in Israel, urges more research on paralysis
    July 29, 2003

Christoper Reeve meets with Israeli foreign minister Silvan Shalom

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation

Actor and social advocate Christopher Reeve arrived yesterday for a five-day fact-finding mission on developments in Israeli research and treatments for spinal injuries as well as a series of visits with Israeli terror victims recovering from serious injuries.

Reeve, who achieved fame by playing "Superman" in films, sustained serious spinal injuries in an equestrian competition in 1995 and has since become a leading advocate in the search for treatments and a cure for paralysis. He said upon his arrival: "It is my great honor to be here and to have come to this wonderful part of the world. This is a very special place. There are a lot of people here who are suffering, but also a lot of people who are recovering."

As Chairman of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation (CRPF), Reeve expressed his excitement at advancements being made in Israeli medical research, including controversial embryonic stem cell research, which has been stalled in the U.S. due to the opposition of religious lobby groups. "I came in order to learn up close about progress in applied research in the scientific and medical fields in general and the treatment of spinal cord injuries specifically. Israel is one of the most advanced countries in the world in this area, and I am very encouraged by that," Reeve explained.

"Israel is the center of some of the world's leading research related to paralysis. There are many new therapies in the pipeline as well as care strategies being employed that may also benefit millions of people around the world living with paralysis. This includes therapies derived from stem cell research," Reeve said before his departure for Israel.

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom told Reeve last night, "I appreciate your coming here and your willingness to meet with terror victims. There is no doubt that you are a hero. Since receiving notification of your visit the Foreign Ministry has been flooded with phone calls from Israelis who want to meet with you. I hope that you will become an Israeli ambassador of goodwill and will encourage others to visit Israel."

Reeve was the guest of honor at a dinner last night, attended by Israeli entertainment personalities, dignitaries, medical researchers, and Israelis seriously injured in terror attacks. Shalom's wife, actress Judy Shalom-Nir-Moses said, "We all left the dinner completely in love with him. He's a charming and unique man."

The meeting inspired Israeli comedian Eli Yatzpan, who reportedly received a hearty response from Reeve when he did an impression of the actor. "This man who was my childhood hero, who flew in the skies and fought against the forces of evil, is even more impressive in his current state, as someone who is battling against a serious injury. He is a real superman," Yatzpan said.

Reeve to meet with disabled Israeli terror victims
    Part of the impetus of the trip was a letter Reeve received from Elad Wassa, a 25-year-old immigrant from Ethiopia who was paralyzed from the chest down in a terrorist attack in Netanya last May, explaining that Reeve provided him with "hope and inspiration." The two have corresponded with each other since and finally met in person last night in Tel Aviv.

Reeve also plans to meet with former IAF pilot Yuval Wagner, who suffered exactly the same spinal cord injuries as the actor in a flight accident. Wagner continued his air force service after his injury and currently serves as head of an organization working to advance handicapped access in public areas. "He was superman, and I was a pilot. Both of us began to live a different type of life, and we have both devoted ourselves to social action on behalf of physically challenged people like ourselves. We are both trying to prove that even in our condition it is possible to do a lot," Wagner said.

"The visit will focus on practical applications of research, meaning helping people as quickly and safely as possible. It's important that scientists realize the sense of urgency, that every day counts for patients," Reeve stressed. Following his injury, doctors told Reeve to abandon all hope that he would lead a normal life again, but through hard work and determination he has recovered feeling and movement of several limbs.

Reeve, who continues to encourage the disabled to fight toward their recovery, stated, "There is progress being made in research. There is hope. Scientists are making tremendous progress, not just in spinal cord cases but with all diseases and disorders. Science is advancing rapidly; there are now new therapies, exercises, and equipment. Nothing is impossible. It is important for all of us living with disabilities to try our very best to challenge ourselves to do more. No one should accept it when someone says this is the way you will be forever. The possibilities are limitless."

Source
    [Max, please use the URL button above to enter these long addresses. They are distorting the pages and you are forcing me and the other moderators to waste a lot of time cleaning up your postings. Wise.]

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 07-29-03 at 08:56 AM.]

"Reeve to meet with disabled Israeli terror victims"

I find this very one-sided.

Palestine was sort of attacked by Israelis.
    Palestinians are in THEIR land treated alike humans of lesser value.

If a land is attacked by invadors,
    it seems common to me,
    that counter-attacks are taking place.
    To discard these as just some terror acts, and leaving out the history behind, seems extremely one-sided to me.

Also to just meet injured from one side.

I do not find this one-sidedness good.