Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Quad + Chemo

High Quad + Chemo

SCI + Chemo

I recently had a canceras polyp removed and am looking at some chemo treatmants.

we caught it early and are optimistic about out come

We will be using these drugs,

Folfox 6

Leucovoria, 5-FU, Oxaliplatin

Bolus on day 1

I will recieve 2 treatmmants a month for 6 months, it will be delivered over a 48 hour period.

I feel good about my onocologist, a ex-caregiver is a cancer nurse and between everyone I think I understand things but still have questions.

I am curious if any high quads here have gone through this?
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Just wishing you a quick recoup!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Sending you my best wishes, and continued success in eradicating forever any remaining cancerous cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    SCI + Chemo

I recently had a canceras polyp removed and am looking at some chemo treatmants.

we caught it early and are optimistic about out come

We will be using these drugs,

Folfox 6

Leucovoria, 5-FU, Oxaliplatin

Bolus on day 1

I will recieve 2 treatmmants a month for 6 months, it will be delivered over a 48 hour period.

I feel good about my onocologist, a ex-caregiver is a cancer nurse and between everyone I think I understand things but still have questions.

I am curious if any high quads here have gone through this?
    Hello, I'm very sorry you are having to deal with a cancer diagnosis on top of SCI. I did chemo treatment for breast cancer. Mine was 4 sessions, 2 different drugs. I went to hospital for each treatment every 3 weeks til finished. Took @ an hour each bag but with waiting to see doc before, waiting for treatments,,,took 5 hours each time, hated that! Bring blanket, iPad or books...if your center doesn't have. I stayed in my wheelchair during treatments.
    I was given anti nausea medicine with each chemo treatment so I never got nauseous. I received an immune booster shot before each treatment which I believe very much helped. My oncologist also had me on steroids intermittently during treatments. It takes a few days after to start feeling achey, lethargic, burnt tongue, twitchy fingers, nothing tastes good,,,then when I felt feeling better again for a few days, was time to start next treatment.
    I started losing my hair @ 2 weeks after 1st treatment but had some fun w/that. I cut my hair short but that only lasted a few days bc it was coming out so heavy, i had my boyfriend shave my hair mohawk style, we took pics, left it like that a few days but i had to have it fully shaved. My scalp was so tender, painful just rubbing on pillow but that quickly passed.
    I would stay in bed for a few days each treatment feeling terrible but was soon up, carrying on, going out & about w my life. Make yourself eat every few hours a little something. I ate pretzels mostly, nuts, drank Boost...I was told not to eat raw fruits or veggies in case they had any contamination. Do not eat your fav foods during chemo bc you will lose your taste for them later on,,,likely an association thing.

If you have any questions feel free to message me, i'll try to help if i can. Good luck and stay strong!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Hi Leo,
    Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of cancer. I am assuming you have colon cancer (although cancerous polyps can be found in the throat/larynx, head/neck cancer). I didn't have colon cancer but I was treated with a chemotherapy cocktail for non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

It sounds as if you are going to have a pump to deliver the drugs, so except for fitting you with the pump on day one and disconnecting the pump on day three of each treatment, you will be able to take your treatments in the comfort of your home. I think that would be much more comfortable than sitting at an infusion center for up to 7 hours like I did. My initial treatments lasted for 6 months. After that I had an infusion every 6 months for two years. All were done at an infusion center. No matter what kind of cancer treatment you receive, there are some common problems amongst them that I will highlight below.

Before chemotherapy treatments began, I had a Venous Access Port (VAP) implanted just under the skin in one of the large veins of the chest. VAPs allow medications to be delivered directly into larger veins, are less likely to clot, save a lot of wear and tear on your veins, and can be left in for long periods. These devices allow frequent access to the veins without deep needle sticks. Ask your doctor about them.

How do you manage your bladder? At the time I had treatments, I was on intermittent catheterization. I did have difficulty with bladder infections. Into the third month of my treatment, I had to spend several days in the hospital for septic infection. But, I didn't miss any treatments.

Talk to your doctor about the need for antiemetic therapy to combat nausea and vomiting. As a quad, you know how extremely difficult it is for you to deal with these issues. I took a drug called Emend, it was expensive, but I was not sick at all during treatments.

Fatigue can be a big issue. You may well find yourself sleeping and resting quite a bit and just not having your typical level of energy. Try to eat as well as you can and don't forget nutritional supplement productd like Boost and Ensure. When you don't feel like eating, these products are very handy. In addition to fatigue, be aware of "chemo brain." The chemicals in chemotherapy, sometimes just make it hard to think and remember.

Platelet Count: You may experience difficulty keeping your platelet count up. Low platelet counts can delay your treatment. Speak with your doctor before taking vitamin supplements, but diets high in Omega 3 (salmon, tuna, chia seeds, flaxseed oil) may help as well as vitamin supplements of B-12 and Folic acid or folate. If platelets become too low, platelet transfusions can help.

Bone/joint aches: In treatment you may given Neulasta which stimulates white blood cells. You may experience the side effect of body aches. Discuss with your doctor what to do if this becomes a problem. I found taking Claritan antihistamine or Benedryl with Ibuprofen or Tylenol increases the effect of the pain meds without increasing the dosage.

Canker Sores inside the mouth: Three times a day take high dose Acidophilus probiotic capsules (20-30 billion unit content) with 1000 ml strength Lysine, and the sores will gone in about 24-48 hrs. I also found a gentle oral antiseptic rinse like Peroxyl or sore mouth rinse like Biotene helpful and soothing.

Neuropathy: Numbness and Tingling. You, may be at a higher risk for neuropathy. Begin keeping a journal of current neuropathy pain to be able to monitor if pain is increasing. Neuropathy pain management could be difficult because of paralysis. Need to monitor carefully, since the outcome may be increased neuropathy pain. The drugs can cause more of a pins and needles sensation than a burning.

Edema: Watch for any increased signs of swelling, especially if any steriod drugs are used in your treatment.

Find a "Cancer buddy" who has had relatively recent treatment of the same kind of cancer. The realm of "what you don't know you don't know" to ask your Doctor's is HUGE, and this person can help you ask the right questions.

Keep written notes of doctor conferences and a diary of your treatment and reactions.

I wish you well and hope to hear reports of your progress. And, I am passing on to you my meditation mantra: EGBOK which means Everything's Gonna Be OK.
    Repeat it during relaxation meditations and believe it.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 02-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Best wishes Leo!

Yes, best wishes for a healthy recovery.

HI,
    It sounds like you feel comfortable with your oncologist and have support through your ex caregiver. I wish you strength during your treatments.

AAD

One thing I forgot to mention in my post is that most likely your hair will begin to fall out and you will need to have someone who can shave your head. Of course this can be a caregiver with electric clippers or whomever cuts your hair regularly. NL (my wife) is my "barber" and one morning, I work up with clumps of hair on my pillow and she gently suggested that it was time to shave my head. Once you have your head shaved, have on hand a couple of wool watch caps to keep your head warm. We have a couple of dear friends who are excellent knitters who gifted me with merino wool knitted caps to keep my head warm...an absolute essential. If you don't have knitter friends, wool caps are available where ever ski clothing is sold.

All the best,
    GJ

thanks for all the kind wishes and advice.

yes i will have that port thing put in,

treatment will be, go in one day and get pump put on, come back next day to get it removed.

i was told i'll not lose my hair but just have thinning but bald is no problem

again thanks

now i have more questions for next visit
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."