Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone out there live by themselves?

Does anyone out there live by themselves?

Are you able to turn on you're own to avoid pressure wounds?

What are you're techniques?

I am asking because I am thinking about returning to independent living. I will have a caregiver but she won't be there for me 24/7.

Michael
    Last edited by michael5462; 04-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michael5462 View Post
    Are you able to turn on you're own to avoid pressure wounds?

What are you're techniques?

I am asking because I am thinking about returning to independent living. I will have a caregiver but she won't be there for me 24/7.

Talk to me or you are going to be in Big, Big, Trouble! :- >

Michael
    yep, c7 since 1978, always lived aby myself, once you get out there, you'll love it
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

You don't have to turn in the night if you have a pressure relief mattress. I haven't turned in bed for many years. I have a tempuric one only, it is at least a lot cheaper than the electric ones.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    You don't have to turn in the night if you have a pressure relief mattress. I haven't turned in bed for many years. I have a tempuric one only, it is at least a lot cheaper than the electric ones.

i just have regular cheap mattresses, after the first six months or so of checking, and sleeping a little longer, etc you build up to where you don't need to flip. or thats me, but i'm not boney either
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I have a pressure relief mattress and a bed with bars at the side which I use to hook my wrists under and turn myself when I want to.

It's nice to give your ass a breather even if you don't struggle with skin issues.

I'M C5/6.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

What is your level of injury? It would be helpful to add this to your profile.

Turning is still recommended (although many get away without doing this for a few years) both for your skin and your lungs. If you are able to turn, it is highly recommended. There are also turning mattress/beds but getting funded for these can be difficult.

Where are you living now? With whom? How much attendant care do you have? Have you considered a roommate situation, perhaps with caregiving being partially reimbursed by room and board?

I am moving this to the Caregiving forum.

(KLD)

I'm wondering the same thing. I live w/ my parents now, Parents are moving to another country, and I don't want to. I'm C5-C6 Complete. I wouldn't have any problems in paying rent. Right now I dont have a caregiver or P.A because I still have a 1 bdroom condo that has been vacant for almost 2 years since my accident... I haven't made any payments on it either, but the government wont give me a caregiver because they see the condo as an asset. So I decided to file for bankruptcy on the condo as well as the medical bills.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Michael, my son is 27 and 7 yrs. post. A c6/7. He moved out almost 2 yrs ago. He has a caregiver for 2 hours every morning and that's all. He takes care of himself the rest of the day and nite. Right now he has one roommate, but will be alone in a few weeks which is fine. He has no problem being by himself at nite. The standing frame is a huge help in keeping his skin in good shape (circulation). He doesn't really turn himself at nite, but has a memory foam mattress topper on his bed which, we believe, is a big help and also provides lots of comfort. Being out on his own again has made a huge difference in his life - he's much happier! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I live w/ my parents now, Parents are moving to another country, and I don't want to. I'm C5-C6 Complete. I wouldn't have any problems in paying rent. Right now I dont have a caregiver or P.A because I still have a 1 bdroom condo that has been vacant for almost 2 years since my accident... I haven't made any payments on it either, but the government wont give me a caregiver because they see the condo as an asset. So I decided to file for bankruptcy on the condo as well as the medical bills.
    I'm a C-6 and have lived alone for a long time. I do have sensation still though and when my butt gets to sore, it usually makes me wake up. Then i just flip myself over by using my arms and shoulders mainly. It also helps by having the gloves i wear which prevents the palms of my hands from slipping on the sheets as i role over.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Thanks W-f-E, this info helps - will begin my search for an affordable pressure relief/tempurpedic. Do you know if a mattress topper or eggshell (could be called egg-crate) mattress (a topper of sorts I think) will reliably do the same as the tempurpedic you have?
    Do not confuse silence with consent or fatigue for indifference.