Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair accessible bathroom sink

wheelchair accessible bathroom sink

hey… I just moved to Florida and my house is brand-new. They built the bathroom the way I asked them to, but I didn't think a couple of things through. I just thought having enough leg room would be enough (knees not hitting the sink), but the problem is, I can only go so far to the sink before my feet hit the wall. If I pull up right before my feet touch the wall, the faucet is too far back for me to reach (more than a foot). So, I am going to redo my sink, but was wondering if there was anyone who redid theirs. I need for the faucet and sink to come a lot closer to me. What kind of a sink did you use? I was thinking about using the new Delta faucet, because you can just touch it and it will start running water.

Any info will help… Thanks

Is the sink in a counter top of free standing? I the sink is in a counter top, what is that surface material? Do you want to keep that counter top surface or change it too? Pictures might help us visualize your project.

All the best,
    GJ

I mounted a bar faucet near the front of the sink for easy access. Nobody says it has to be at the far back.
    The sink came from Home Depot (or maybe it was Loews); it has the drain near the back.
    - Richard
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 02-16-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Of the many sinks in the many places I've lived, the setup similar to the one posted by rfbdorf was the most successful. I've used a variety of sinks but the faucet set up pictured is the way to go.

My bathroom sink and reference to the sink manufacturer is on page 2, Post 15 of this thread:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=32820&page=2

There is a panel under the sink that is slanted back toward the wall to conceal plumbing and keep my legs away from the hot water and drainage plumbing. The depth of the counter top from the wall to the edge of the sink is approximately 30 inches.

All the best,
    GJ

...forgot to mention -
    I chose a tall bar faucet so my wife could easily fill a container with water. The flexible tubing underneath is tucked up near the sink.
    Although she had full use of her hands, the faucet style I used would be good for someone with limited hand control.
    The sink is cantilevered -from the wall - you can just see the brace under it at the right.
    You can also see a cord hanging down from the left front (to the right of the towel) - that went over to the toilet flush handle.
    And the mirror on the wall is mounted low so it's usable for a wheeler.
    - Richard

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I use a regular "wheelchair" sink. The problem is the supports are installed in the wall and your house is already finished.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    ...And the mirror on the wall is mounted low so it's usable for a wheeler.
    While we are discussing this, I'm going to mention something in case some people don't realize it. If the mirror is tilted forward at the top, an average bathroom mirror will provide full visibility of a person in a chair. There are gagets one can buy to attach to the mirror, or there are tilt frames one can buy. Otherwise, I know anyone who is handy can rig up something that will do the same thing for practically nothing. If the bathroom is shared by an AB, the tilt frame might be the best bet as the mirror can easily be moved to either position.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

What I did with mine was have an "inset, semi recessed" basin put into a custom made benchtop, since it had to be custom made I had it done in hardwood (river redgum). The benchtop is about 600MM deep and the basin sits out a further 150MM proud of that. So in the wheelchair my feet can either just touch the wall or be slightly back and the basin is right up touching my tummy.

The bench is a bench only there are no cupboards underneath and is high enough that my legs just touch bottom edge of the front 150MM panel.

Since Im a design draftie i drew it all up for the builder to have made. Freakily, when I got my Invacare A4 (which is kind of higher vompared to my motorised chair) I could still fit my legs under it.

Oh just a tip, if you can build up a real rapore with your builder he will gladly help you out and build stuff how you want it. Sadly a lot of my colleagues, like architects, designers etc. dont listen, some builders dont either but if you are there with them you can actually show them what you want and they will build things how you want them built.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

ADAAG Image

Here's a guideline you can follow from the ADAAG.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."