Thread: rolling on the beach

rolling on the beach

I will be going to the beach in the not to distant future. I have 51-540 set of tires for my chair and I am going to get a wider tire for my attachment and I was wondering if once I got down there it would be a good idea, sand wise, to remove all the camber from my chair and just have the wheels straight up and down? Has anyone ever done this? It just seems in thinking about it that straight up and down they would be less likely to dig into that sand then if they had camber on them. wow out of 108 views no comments, what no beach bums? lol
    Last edited by djrolling; 02-16-2012 at 04:20 AM.

I dont know about camber, but be sure to go with someone strong. I doubt you.ll get past the first and less packed down sand patch without help. I use my fatso tires and a freewheel, but recently began taking 2 pieces of outdoor carpeting to help make the trek easier. Once im near the water I can move on my own in low tide.

I have thought about the fatso tires but they ad 27 pounds to the chair and is yet another thing to haul down there with me. I am in pretty good shape but even so I know it is tuff rolling through sand. I went to the beach last year but just had regular wheelchair tires and my attachment with reg tire and it was hard getting out to the packed sand and with the regular tires even on packed sand there were a couple of times I need a little push...

bump bump

pararich recently started a cc thread titled 'vacation near tampa, florida' ,
    and he posted photos including one of himself in wc on the beach and one with a handcycle on the beach. not sure if this will work, but here is link to page with his posts:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=177365&page=2

maybe you could contact pararich about his beachworthy wc?
    i think there may be other threads about beach wheelchairs in the cc archives.
    i'd like to know more about this subject, too.
    Last edited by Crashbang; 02-20-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: incomplete

Also you need to lower the pressures of the tyres so they don't dig in as much. I was scooting through a muddy field the other day (don't ask!) and lowering the pressures worked wonders (25-540's). Need to get some knobbly tires and a freewheel. Not sure how much difference camber would make, havn't got my lightweight chair yet, and this tank has 0 camber.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

sand and deep gravel are usually a lost cause

I throw a tarp down and roll on it when I go fishing.

Google beach wheelchair loans. I know many California beaches lend them out. They are not self propelled though. I borrowed one from Asilomar and they delivered it to me down at Point Lobos.