Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone watch Parenthood?

It's not just that, they have Max grabbing the boys chair and pushing him without asking as well as the parents doing it. The boy looks like he's trying to push, but they aren't giving him a chance. I am too critical I know, it's tv.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I saw it, but I think that is the way AB people think life in a wheelchair is. And to my surprise some people like to be pushed. But we are all different, I would prefer a powerchair before I was dependent on other people to push me.

Most people don't know what a SCI is, they know MS and CP and people who mostly have trouble with their arms and Spina Bifida, but SCI is some kind of secret.
    TH 12, 43 years post

And they think it because it isn't challenged on things like this. It is so rare to see it protrayed correctly.
    I have also been struggling because I watch that show Swtiched at Birth with my daughter. It has a lot of inaacurate things about the deaf community. I don't know what we can do about it. Nothing I guess.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I haven't seen that one. But the TV here has just shown a reality with dis people climping up on a mountain. I hated that program, it was showing all the clich├ęs you can think of. Even a girl with SCI been push up over some big stones from one amputee and one deaf girl. And the newspaper and magazines have been full of how clever they were and what a big inspiration for the AB people and the AB leader did talk to them like they like they were 5 years old. They have the same reality in Sweden now but with Swedish dis people climbing up Kilimanjaro. So much inspiration...
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    Back when I was in school, we'd have "Adaptive PhysEd" which was basically all the disabled kids in the school herded into the football team's weight room for a period. They did try to schedule as many kids as possible (especially the mainstreamed ones like me) for their physical therapy sessions during that time, but other than that there was no attempt to get us to do any kind of physical activity. (One of the guys with cerebral palsy tried to use one of the weight machines once, and the teacher quickly intervened and told him it was too dangerous.)

I don't know what the current state of "adaptive" gym is, but it sure was abysmal back in my day. (Not that I could have thrown a basketball anyway, but most of the others could have.)
    My school's weight room wasnt accessible so they put me in what was essentially a large closet where I lifted wrist band weights and used theraband that I brought myself. It was rather a joke.

I'm still reluctantly watching the show for Krause and the gilmore chick [ who are often spotted together in the bay area btw] but it's so damn dramatic when it started out more humorous. I havent seen the last few episodes so cant comment on the new one.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer