Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch Parenthood?

Anyone watch Parenthood?

A show on NBC on Tuesdays? I watch it, it seems to be the only night I am home and can watch anything. It is not that great of a show, but I got sucked into a few of the story lines last year and kept watching.

Point of this post:
    There is a kid on the show with Aspergers. It has shown his struggles, some of them pretty accurate others not so much. The show annoys me bc the family is all upper class white and no idea of real struggles people might face. I sound like I am slamming the show but I like it.

Anyway, the boy has recently been integrated into a regular school instead of his private special school. It portrayed his issues with eating alone and having a breakdown in class. Last night the kids were being picked to play basketball in gym. Of course he was going to be chosen last. He says I really don't want to play, even though he's a good player. The other kids say their team is full. The gym teacher says you have to play Max. He says why can't I sit over there with him, he doesn't have to play. The camera pans over to a kid in a wheelchair playing a DS or whatever they are called. The teacher says he doesn't have to play because he has a disability. Asperger boy says I also have a disability.

I was furious they showed that kid playing a video game in his wheelchair rather than having to play basketball or participate in gym. Am I overreacting? My daughter said well, it is hard for you to play basketball against me and my brother when you don't have the good chair, talking about a sports chair. And by the way I suck at basketball, AB or not, so I try to get out of it, but I know we are obviously capable. In school isn't the gym teacher required to find a way to adapt the gym program to the boy or did I miss something? I quit watching the show after that because I was irritated. However when I came in at one point they were tellinghim he couldn't use a disbility as an excuse. However it seemed they did that for the other kid.

What will it really take for the rest of people to get it that we can do anything we want, outside of cartwheels and tight rope walking???
    If you have on demand or whatever, watch it. It is in the opening minutes. Write them.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

My bro-in-law was telling me about this show recently, which he loves. My response was, "isn't it sappy?". I remember it being on, but thought it was cancelled. Anyway, re your post ....

I guess how I look at the scene will depend on what the purpose of the scene is, and how it might relate to (or drive) the storyline and the characters.

From what you've described, they could be trying to further illustrate how segregated and detached he is and likely feels, including his struggle with his identity and how/where he fits in.

It's possible that they are setting up a premise they (or the boy) will challenge later on, particularly given that he actually can play b-ball well, regardless of the "disability".

In this instance, he's using disability as an excuse.
    When they say he can't use it as an excuse, could they extend that to physical disabilities as well? Yea, I guess... but that might detract from their storyline and the focus on HIS disability.

But then again, since they brought it up, the boy in the w/c could be easily integrated into challenging (social and individual) concepts, perceptions, fears, etc, or how the physical environment might be too ill-equipped to even allow that, regardless of the will, want or ability of an individual.

....but how to tie that in with Aspergers and THIS character?

I don't know, I haven't seen the show!
    Despite this, I kind of have a feeling that the boy will show the team his stuff and probably shoot a winning basket or something, and become the darling and hero of the school, with lots of girls over him. A slam dunk for Integration!

It all makes sense I guess in the storyline. But I am imagining the boy making the winning score and the kid in the chair still on the sidelines playing video games. I just dont think it was an accurate protrayal at all and it bothered me.

And yes it is a sappy corny show.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Thumbs up on the same page

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    But I am imagining the boy making the winning score and the kid in the chair still on the sidelines playing video games.
    I had actually written this, almost verbatim, but then completely left out while editing!

"I kind of have a feeling that the boy will show the team his stuff and probably shoot a winning basket or something, and become the darling and hero of the school, with lots of girls over him, all the while the crippled wc boy continues to sit along the sidelines playing his video games. A slam dunk for Integration!"

I watch it, though I find it annoying, but I did think that having a kid in a wheelchair with upper-body mobility just sit and play video games was somewhat insulting. If he couldn't play in the game, the least they should do is having him shooting baskets with a coach, teacher or other student.

Makes more sense now Chick.
    I am sure it was a faker, surely some kid's parents wouldn't let them portray him like that.
    Then again, who knows.

Maybe the "wheelchair kid" and the "Aspergers kid" will become best friends and play basketball together.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Maybe the "wheelchair kid" and the "Aspergers kid" will become best friends and play basketball together.
    The show ended with the boy with spina bifida and Max becoming friends and Max asking him over to the house. Max and his dad carried the boy up the stairs in the wheelchair to Max's room.

The boy in the chair talked about how he is ignored and never included. The parents called the kids jack asses for calling Max a looser.

I think it tackles bullying, being different, not being accepted and fitting in with others. Not always easy.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Awesome thanks Cheese for the update.
    GLad my screenwriting paid off
    Been a rough week for "inclusion" around here which is probably why I got so disgusted so quickly.

I watch it, but I haven't seen the last one yet so I jumped over the whole spoiler here
    TH 12, 43 years post