Thread: my cheap hand rim setup with pics

my cheap hand rim setup with pics

Im a c6 inc so I cant use a smooth hand rim. My left hand has 45lbs of grip, my right has 12. Ive been experimenting with different ways of getting the best grip i can without spending a lot of money.
    I started out with wrapping surgical tubing around the rim which for me works great for pushing but even with gloves on is rough on the hands for stopping.
    I had rolls of vet wrap like this which is normally used for horses. I got mine from tractor supply co. that i wrap around the handle of free weight to make it softer and easier to grip. I wrapped that around the hand rim over top of the surgical tubing. It adds a softer feel but still plenty of grip for pushing and not harsh for stopping. Ive only done sections of each hand rim so i could compare.
    Then a section of my tubing broke so i tried using just the vet wrap around a bare aluminum hand rim. This works very good for my left hand that is stronger but not enough grip for my weaker hand. It takes away to slippery feel of bare aluminum, adds grip and doesnt burn your hands when slowing down.
    Ive been using the wrap for a couple of months now in all types of weather and it holds up good. some areas look shaped weird because I used the wrap to hold the tubing on in sections where its ripped or already snapped from being on for 10 months.

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Very cool, thanks for the tip on Vetrap, I'll have to keep some around.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Hey Wills, do you know a young friend of mine named Bill Cottage from Beaver County. He just finished racing ATVs after about 10 years. I don't think he ever turned pro but he sure won a lot of races and was always ranked in the top ten in his classes.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Hey Wills, do you know a young friend of mine named Bill Cottage from Beaver County. He just finished racing ATVs after about 10 years. I don't think he ever turned pro but he sure won a lot of races and was always ranked in the top ten in his classes.
    Yea I know of him but never met him. We raced the same classes but were never at the same track on the same day haha. In 2010 I made it to 6 of the 10 races and still finished 10th overall in pro-am for the season. My first race of 2011 Is when my injury happened.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    I had rolls of vet wrap like this which is normally used for horses
    I haven't used Vetwrap so not sure if it's grippy. Is it kinda sticky like those bicycle handle bar grips if used without surgical tubing?

Vet wrap sticks to itself, and has a bit of a rubbery/grippy feel to it. There is a human equivalent (which is much more costly! And only recently started coming in colors.) called Coban. Have you ever had your blood drawn and they didn't use a bandaid but wrapped something around your arm to hold the cotton ball in place? If so, thats the human equivalent (in a much narrower form obviously.) Thats the first I think of with the stuff being used in human medicine since I get a lot of blood draws.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.