Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epidural injections

Quote Originally Posted by ~Maria View Post
    In my research, trying to understand why these pain docs jump to give the epidural shots, they are a huge money maker for the doc. Also if they can shoot you up and give you less pain meds it keeps the DEA out of their office.

This irritates me to no end, I know with the last two Faucet injections, I paid out of pocket $475. They also insist on putting a needle in my arm, in case there is an emergency and they have to provide 'something.' I have never had a reaction, never had an emergency situation and requested they not do this. I prefer to be stuck the least amount of times as possible, they said NO! More money for them to put in the needle!!
    That's quite bait less than I'm paying monthly for my meds...

I probably should add Trigger Point injections (TPI) into the thread. In between the other injections, to manage the continuing pain, I had TPI's done. These really hurt (moreso than the Epidural injections because there is no lido injected prior) and didn't really seem to do much of anything towards managing the pain.
    What is your diagnosis? Do you have a spinal cord injury?

I have had an injection of Depo Medrol into my hip joint but they never given me an IV in my arm or anything else. I have a swayed gait due to my SCI so my left hip joint was inflamed and does often get inflamed. They did the actual injection under flouroscopy. I would not have an epidural into my spinal cord just because of the damage there.

With the injections into your spine, they give you the IV in case you develop a complication during the procedure. There was a highly publicized case I believe in Georgia several years ago where a physician performed an epidural steroid injection in his office and punctured the young woman's lung in the process. She did not have an IV or anything else and by the time the ambulance got there she had died. Hospitals get paid a set fee for an injection. In other words...whether they give you an IV or not, they get paid the same amount. If you had an allergic reaction to that steroid or any other drug, you would be glad you had that IV so they could give you drugs quickly to counteract the reaction.

Epidurals do work for lots of people but it depends on what kind of pain you have. My joint injections actually were excellent and I am probably getting ready to have another one. The nerves get inflamed and the steroids help to "calm" the inflammation down and heal them. With the joints, all the "stuff" inside joint gets inflamed with repeated use.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    That's quite bait less than I'm paying monthly for my meds...
    Exactly, I could buy all my meds, cover all copays, go out to eat, buy new shoes, and a dress for that price. I'm still seething at having to pay that much money!! If it helped I would gladly pay, but it doesn't and I won't do these anymore! Hey doc, my pocket book is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    What is your diagnosis? Do you have a spinal cord injury?

I have had an injection of Depo Medrol into my hip joint but they never given me an IV in my arm or anything else. I have a swayed gait due to my SCI so my left hip joint was inflamed and does often get inflamed. They did the actual injection under flouroscopy. I would not have an epidural into my spinal cord just because of the damage there.

With the injections into your spine, they give you the IV in case you develop a complication during the procedure. There was a highly publicized case I believe in Georgia several years ago where a physician performed an epidural steroid injection in his office and punctured the young woman's lung in the process. She did not have an IV or anything else and by the time the ambulance got there she had died. Hospitals get paid a set fee for an injection. In other words...whether they give you an IV or not, they get paid the same amount. If you had an allergic reaction to that steroid or any other drug, you would be glad you had that IV so they could give you drugs quickly to counteract the reaction.

Epidurals do work for lots of people but it depends on what kind of pain you have. My joint injections actually were excellent and I am probably getting ready to have another one. The nerves get inflamed and the steroids help to "calm" the inflammation down and heal them. With the joints, all the "stuff" inside joint gets inflamed with repeated use.
    Daisy, your response was amazing, thank you, makes me feel somewhat better about the extra IV. I'm not sure if these things are working or not, I have been getting them so long. Perhaps they are working and I will know soon enough because I'm not going to do them anymore.

I don't think I have a spinal cord injury, at least I don't think I do. I have been in such a fog since all this happened, I just float from doctor office to doctor office and they talk in terms that are overwhelming. I hear back surgery and shut down (I have had enough surgeries as it is). As of about 5-weeks ago, this is going to stop, I'm now taking a proactive approach in what's wrong, the medicines, treatment, etc. Big reason why I am here.

I looked at the MRI/CAT/X-ray results and can tell you I have damage from C2 to C7 and C7 to T1 and loss of signal from L4-L5 and L5-S1, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusion at C5-C6 and C6-C7 and now from the last X-ray a curved spine, this is new because the MRI in 2010 didn't show that. I don't know what all this means except I am in h@lla pain.

What got me here ?
    AUG 2005; riding my bicycle and was hit by a car (amnesia)
    FEB 2009; severe car crash, the SUV that hit me was inside my car
    JUL 2010; another bicycle accident
    Last edited by ~Maria; 02-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Exactly, I could buy all my meds, cover all copays, go out to eat, buy new shoes, and a dress for that price. I'm still seething at having to pay that much money!! If it helped I would gladly pay, but it doesn't and I won't do these anymore! Hey doc, my pocket book is closed.
    No you got it backwards, my meds cost me $700+ per month...

Daisy, your response was amazing, thank you, makes me feel somewhat better about the extra IV. I'm not sure if these things are working or not, I have been getting them so long. Perhaps they are working and I will know soon enough because I'm not going to do them anymore.

I don't think I have a spinal cord injury, at least I don't think I do. I have been in such a fog since all this happened, I just float from doctor office to doctor office and they talk in terms that are overwhelming. I hear back surgery and shut down (I have had enough surgeries as it is). As of about 5-weeks ago, this is going to stop, I'm now taking a proactive approach in what's wrong, the medicines, treatment, etc. Big reason why I am here.

I looked at the MRI/CAT/X-ray results and can tell you I have damage from C2 to C7 and C7 to T1 and loss of signal from L4-L5 and L5-S1, degenerative disc disease, disc protrusion at C5-C6 and C6-C7 and now from the last X-ray a curved spine, this is new because the MRI in 2010 didn't show that. I don't know what all this means except I am in h@lla pain.

What got me here ?
    AUG 2005; riding my bicycle and was hit by a car (amnesia)
    FEB 2009; severe car crash, the SUV that hit me was inside my car
    JUL 2010; another bicycle accident
    I will tell you what it means and you may not like it. It means that you are NOT qualified to read those scans. Yes you are probably in pain but if your surgeon has recommended for you to have surgery to fix whatever it is that is wrong, then have the damn surgery. You are on a website complaining to people who are paralyzed many of them all four limbs which is called quadriplegia and they DO have spinal cord injuries. We don't have an option to fix our Central pain nor the crushing injuries that some of us have and all of us just wish and dream we could piss and shit like you.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have pain but look at the bright side....You are not in a wheelchair, you don't have to stick your finger up your ass to take a shit, you don't have to stick a tube up your urethra to pee, you can roll yourself over in bed without the help of an attendant, and you have a job that you can still manage to go to.

I know it's really really tough but do try to count your blessings....because you truly do have a whole lot of them.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Sounds like you all some experience with different ways to manage (or maybe reduce) your chronic pain.
    I have to do something for my pain...there doesn't seem to be a treatment for really bad chronic neurogenic pain. I was pretty pissed off when my Dr. basically said I'd have to get used to it... Some days (like now) my pain levels are mild but other days as you all know, the pain is severe.
    My injury was at c4/5 and was incomplete...it's good b/c I have feeling and function below my injury level but not so good b/c I have tingling pain through all parts of my body effected by the injury.

What is everyone else's pain like? What do you do when it's severe?

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I will tell you what it means and you may not like it. It means that you are NOT qualified to read those scans. Yes you are probably in pain but if your surgeon has recommended for you to have surgery to fix whatever it is that is wrong, then have the damn surgery. You are on a website complaining to people who are paralyzed many of them all four limbs which is called quadriplegia and they DO have spinal cord injuries. We don't have an option to fix our Central pain nor the crushing injuries that some of us have and all of us just wish and dream we could piss and shit like you.

There is no doubt in my mind that you have pain but look at the bright side....You are not in a wheelchair, you don't have to stick your finger up your ass to take a shit, you don't have to stick a tube up your urethra to pee, you can roll yourself over in bed without the help of an attendant, and you have a job that you can still manage to go to.

I know it's really really tough but do try to count your blessings....because you truly do have a whole lot of them.
    Because daisy, the surgeon said he can't guarantee surgery will fix what's wrong and said in all candor I probably would be worse off. I've already been through seven other surgeries to repair other broken bones and am still healing from a near severed wrist.

I know I am new to the forum and you don't know the extent of all the injuries I have endured and from the tone of your response, won't even bother. I don't know your situation, so I won't judge you on what seems to be a very hostile comment.

Now that I am nearing the end of addressing all the broken bones, I am turning my attention to fixing my back & neck, so I came to this forum in search of answers. To be met with such anger, I’m obviously in the wrong place.

Sorry to have wasted your time, I hope you have a good day!

I am not meaning to be hostile Maria. However, this board is for people with Spinal Cord Injuries and their families. Pain from back problems is quite different than suffering a catastrophic spinal cord injury. There are many forums on the internet but very few dedicated specifically to Spinal Cord Injury and research to cure it like this one is.

I can assure you, we can all tell you surgery horror stories here. I came within an 1/8 of an inch of being decapitated in my accident. I was also left with a spinal cord injury of which I still have bone fragments in my cord because they could not get them all.

Most surgeons won't guarantee you that they can fix you. In fact, every surgery that you have had, you have signed a waiver saying that you could be left worst off than you were before you went in....you have to understand the language of course and they were supposed to explain it to you. It is called risk. There is risk with every procedure.

Here is a much better back pain forum it looks like. Maybe it could help answer some of your questions that we can not.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum