Thread: Trying for Pregnancy

Trying for Pregnancy

we are going to begin trying to get pregnant at home using the 'turkey baster' method. for anyone who has done this...lots of questions. some of the main questions right now:

1. Can you recommend a turkey baster or syringe? What works better? How far do you have to insert the syringe in order to reach the cervix (which I believe you are trying to coat with the sperm)?
    2. How quickly do you have to do this? Does the sperm die soon after being exposed to the air? Or can we take our time to ensure we're not screwing up?
    3. Did you add saline to the semen? Is it difficult to 'suck' the semen into the syringe without adding saline?

Lots of other questions but those are some big ones for right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are both in our 20s and are hoping to avoid the costs of assisted fertilization if possible. If anyone would want to detail how they went through this process, that would be wonderful. If you would rather PM me, that's ok as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    we are going to begin trying to get pregnant at home using the 'turkey baster' method. for anyone who has done this...lots of questions. some of the main questions right now:

1. Can you recommend a turkey baster or syringe? What works better?
    Use a 5 or 10 cc. syringe. Men with SCI commonly have low volume of semen, so it may get "lost" in a turkey baster. Also, you should not use any lubricant as this has spermicidal properties (unless you use on specifically designed for fertility work), so the smaller syringe is more comfortable.

How far do you have to insert the syringe in order to reach the cervix (which I believe you are trying to coat with the sperm)?
    Actually your goal should be to be as close to the os (opening) of the cervix as possible, not to coat the cervix. If the woman has good sensation, she will usually know when you "bump" the cervix with the syringe, as it is a little hypersensitive.

2. How quickly do you have to do this? Does the sperm die soon after being exposed to the air? Or can we take our time to ensure we're not screwing up?
    Try to use the semen within 30-45 minutes after ejaculation. Sperm death occurs pretty quickly after that if not in a warm moist environment.

3. Did you add saline to the semen? Is it difficult to 'suck' the semen into the syringe without adding saline?
    No. You don't want to dilute the concentration of sperm, and moist saline solution has preservatives added that can kill sperm.

Lots of other questions but those are some big ones for right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are both in our 20s and are hoping to avoid the costs of assisted fertilization if possible. If anyone would want to detail how they went through this process, that would be wonderful. If you would rather PM me, that's ok as well.
    I assume you know exactly when you are ovulating. You need to do the IVI within 24 hours prior to or 24 hours after the actual ovulation (so a 48 hour window). Ovulation prediction kits are not cheap, but will confirm other ways to telling (basal body temperature, mucous assessment, etc.).

Did you get a semen analysis so you know if there is good enough quality/numbers of sperm to have a good chance of success this way?

(KLD)

Thanks for the reply. As I just discovered that I can ejaculate (I've done so three times in the past week), I haven't yet had a semen analysis done. I have made an appointment for early March, though. We figured it couldn't hurt to try beforehand, though, and get some practice. I have been injured for about three years, and am obviously hoping that the sperm quality is sufficient to get the job done. The ejaculate was a little brownish, but I think I read on a post that that is somewhat normal. In my mind, it's kinda like 'rust' in the pipes, maybe, lol. I am interested to see if the color changes with increased frequency of ejaculation.

Can you just buy a needleless syringe at Walgreens or another drug store? Do they need to be a certain length?

Regarding ovulation, we are planning on buying an ovulation kit to help with that. I've read that ovulation typically occurs around the 15th day following the start of menstrual flow. So, we are kind of thinking that regardless of what the ovulation kit says, we will try every day from the 12th to 18th day (if ejaculation is possible that often).

Get a couple of syringes from your physician if you can. You cannot buy syringes without a prescription for a drug that requires them in most areas.

Frequent ejaculation can decrease your sperm count. Give it a try, but if you do this for 6 months (6 cycles) without being pregnant, it is likely this is not going to work, and you may need to go to a higher tech method (IUI, IVF, etc.).

(KLD)

I was doing some Google research and came across Softcup and Instead discussions. Some people use these cups for at home insemination rather than injecting the semen. Well, it looks like some people inject the semen and then insert the cup to hold the semen close to the cervix. Others just ejaculate right into the cup and then insert it. SCI Nurse - are you familiar with this method and have you heard of any success? Any one else familiar with this method?