Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They mention cure for AIDS, but not a cure for SCI

They mention cure for AIDS, but not a cure for SCI

Watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_ayBg2AMI

I was surprised that the Push Girls talk about making the impossible possible, going to the moon, ending AIDS etc... But they don't even mention ending paralysis... if they would the imapact could be significant, but here they likely will have an impact in the opposit direction.

If someone can talk to them it would be good to ask if they can use the visibilty they will get with the show to send a cure urgency message.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

How stupid is that.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Crazy. Again, more media messages about the nice lives that we lead! I didn't know how great my life was until I saw this video. I guess I was wrong about this not being fun.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Here is all that the Reeve Foundation has to say about the Push Girls:

http://www.spinalcordinjury-paralysi...ing-ambassador

...."But here's a reality show featuring Reeve Foundation ambassador, Angela Rockwood (pictured 3rd from left,) that is way more than a good laugh. Premiering in April, the Sundance Channel will bring Push Girls to the airwaves."

And The New York Post they quote:

"The twist is that they are all the victims of car accidents or physical ailments that left them without the use of their beautiful legs."

IMO CDRF should have written to The New York Post to explain them that SCI is not just about being unable to use our legs.. but instead of doing that they even quoted such a misleading article.

Paolo

paolo, right on; when they have something significant to say, I will belive again. Same with Reeve Foundation.

anthony

1) AID's kills millions

2) Despite the billions spent on AID's research there is still no effective cure, only better drug cocktails to extend life.

3) This is a comparison between two conditions that can't really be compared.

4) Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    1) AID's kills millions

2) Despite the billions spent on AID's research there is still no effective cure, only better drug cocktails to extend life.

4) Just sayin'
    Yes, sadly there are many more millions of people who have AIDS. Their unfortunate numbers, however, also means that they have many more opportunities and platforms to appeal for research funds and awareness. People with paralysis don't and so the Push Girls (which I have not yet seen) may be an opportunity squandered. Or worse, a platform to show that living with paralysis is not so bad, especially if you're a hot chick.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n_ayBg2AMI

I was surprised that the Push Girls talk about making the impossible possible, going to the moon, ending AIDS etc... But they don't even mention ending paralysis... if they would the imapact could be significant, but here they likely will have an impact in the opposit direction.

If someone can talk to them it would be good to ask if they can use the visibilty they will get with the show to send a cure urgency message.

Paolo
    Now this would be a great opportunity to unleash your letter writing campaign members. I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Now this would be a great opportunity to unleash your letter writing campaign members. I'm serious.
    Sure,

I am just trying a little nicer way at the moment.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    1) AID's kills millions

4) Just sayin'
    See this post:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...7&postcount=20

If you have time to read the whole "Back to the Basics" doc I am sure you will find it interesting.

Paolo