Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are there meds for fatigue?

are there meds for fatigue?

if so what are they, and what sort of situations do they prescribe them?

For MS related fatigue, I take Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Its an OTC supplement, but it works.

What's going on Jody? Have you been to the doc lately? Has your appetite improved?
    (enough questions for now)

My wife takes Ritalin. Doctor prescribed it 20 years ago and never took her off.

According to the TV commercials, hormone replacement therapy deals with it.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

The treatment depends on the cause of the fatigue. For instance (if you're looking for a drug therapy), a sleeping pill might be the best option. If the fatigue is a symptom of an infection, ABX. . . and so on.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Yes. My mom used ritalin for a long time. You can develop some tolerance to it, and then you will need a higher dose in the future. But it works.

Provigil is also popular, and for some people has fewer side effects. Can be a little pricier then ritalin though. An even newer sister medicine, Nuvigil, is also available.

It seems like the people who get prescribed these medicines the most are people with chronic diseases that often have fatigue as a symptom. Multiple sclerosis, cancer are examples. Also some people with chronic pain, as often pain meds can be sedating.

If you're starting to think about meds like these, I'd make sure you had a good review of your sleep habits and maybe even a sleep study if you are not getting restful sleep. Also a good general physical examination, check of your thyroid etc... And if your mood is not good, then maybe treatment of that might help.

I'm also becoming a fan of the "happy light", if seasonal changes are affecting your mood and sleep. You sit with it every morning, to help "wake you up" for your day...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11672325&Ne=5000001%204000000& eCat=BC|589&N=4001222%204294902029&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_ CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1

I wish it was
    TH 12, 43 years post

I'll look some of those meds up.

to answer questions, I have been having a lot of trouble with nausea and no appetite.
    I am so wiped out too. lots of jerky muscles, and my body is just useless being so wiped out.
    I have a low red count high white, and lately water poo's.

even bathing is extremely tiring, forget cleaning my home.

Dr doesn't know what is up yet.
    I had a hida scan because they saw growths in my gall bladder, but it was negative. I was going to get a colonoscopy but it was cancelled when they saw the gal bladder growths.

now they are leaning toward an obstruction. I break out in to a sweat and chillls in a constant cycle over the last few months.
    it is just wearing me out.

Doc wants me to go get some rehab because she see's I can no longer walk as well as I was, but the thought of rehab when I feel so wiped out is heartbreaking.
    I don't know how I can do it without some way to combat this incredible tired.

sleeping isnt going so well ether. even being so so tired. Im hoping if I can get some energy and get through the day, maybe I will sleep better.

for now I am living on fenergan, both injected and suppository. it stops the nausea but makes me tired as well. the suppository causes the belly pain to get really bad until it starts to take affect, the injection makes my legs all hoppy.

Yesterday, I noticed how bad I am looking in my face again. I let one tear slip and that was it, the rain fell until I hyperventilated.

anyway, I don't know what else to do but try to treat the symptoms of what ever it is.
    Fatigue is one symptom, so Im looking for options.

I think I really need to find a doc who treats sci patients, but there are none around here.