Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head pressure

Head pressure

Hi all,
    Was wondering if any of you with neck injuries ever get a "pressure" feeling in the head?
    This usually happens when I go from standing to sitting, when I cough, strain, bend or sneeze.

do you have any blood pressure issues? No sci here, but those activities are all ones that can cause changes in your blood pressure which can result in a pressure or lightheaded feeling

I have a condition called dysautonomia which causes issues with my blood pressure and heart rate, so it sounded a bit familiar to me. I know from here that bp issues are not unusual with sci.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yes, it is a little high on occasion. I am on Atenolol for that and also tachycardia..

Do you have a neurologist? I would make an appointment and discuss this question with them.

These headaches/pressure could be nothing, but sometimes they can be caused by a brain problem. Have you ever had a brain MRI?

Here's a short discussion of your problem from a Mayo clinic website.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pri...daches/DS00639

What is your blood pressure when this occurs?
    CWO

I do not have a neurologist at this time, but last year I was having alot of back pain and had a complete bone scan and a neck and back mri. Which showed that the pain in my back I was having was a fractured sacrum.
    I'm not sure what my blood pressure is when this happens. I will try to take it to find out. I NEVER had an issue with this til post sci. I noticed that after my injury when I would first lay down I would get the pressure and it would last a few seconds then go away. Gradually with time, it has become more frequent. I have the feeling when I first stand up, and bend over, strain.... I'm a hypochondriac, and my mind is in overdrive thinking I have a brain tumor.

Even though I worry about it being the absolute worst thing, I do think it's spine related somehow. Because the pressure I feel is kind of pulsating when it does it and goes all the way to my tailbone..

Quote Originally Posted by Jenfr View Post
    Even though I worry about it being the absolute worst thing, I do think it's spine related somehow. Because the pressure I feel is kind of pulsating when it does it and goes all the way to my tailbone..
    Do you have a spinal cord injury? If so what level and ASIA rating? I noticed you said this happens when you stand and am just curious. If you spend most of your time in a wheelchair then standing will make you dizzy. If I haven't used my standing frame for a while I can get lightheaded using it.

Is your spinal cord injury in the C-spine? Your symptoms may be related to your prior injury or surgery/scarring related to your injury.

But you should get it checked out. You should find a neurologist and talk about another MRI of your head and maybe the top of your C-spine. It is possible your physiatrist could help you with this.

Thank you all for the replies.
    Yes, I do have a spinal cord injury. C4-5 and T6-8 incomplete.
    I have all feeling and movement except in my left foot, which I wear an AFO.
    I use my chair about 90% of the time. I can walk with a cane but for only short distance. My injury is from a car accident on 6-21-02