Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postinjury Disability Insurance anybody know what the deal is?

When I was working I had the same insurance as everyone else in the complex and my disability did not enter into it at all. I had health insurance, short and long term disability, and life insurance too. Thank heavens for the short and long term because I eventually had to use them, and still get LTD checks.

A group plan may be an option, depending on your employer; but the chances of being able to qualify for either private disability or long term care insurance with a pre-existing condition of any kind is slim to none.

(KLD)

Really depends on the plan offered. Where I'm at it is "50%" of base pay, with a substraction of the amount SSDI gives you (you wont get any more than 50% w/ LTD & SSDI combined). I've heard of some 80%+ plans, love to know where those places offering that are

I received LTD insurance through my former employer even though I have cerebral palsy. This was pre-SCI. I am assuming I'd be able to purchase LTD insurance through an employer now that I'm a quad.

I was not excluded from access to the LTD insurance pool due to CP.

it totally depends on your employer's contract with ins carrier. i have LTD through boeing though i hired in as a quad. it's 60% of my pay, though SSDI is subtracted out.

bobby: SSDI cannot be reduced by other income of any kind (unless you return to work). however, a medicare fee is deducted from it.

Many companies have an open enrollment yearly and if they offer short term or LTD it is possible you could sign up.
    This saved us when the STD covered the bills while my spouse was in ICU and rehab.
    It was 70% of his pay; tax free came out about the same.
    I lost my wage while taking family leave, but at least the basics covered.
    Once SS began several months after SCI the LTD was "offset" by the SS.
    Everyone's circumstances different. We sure don't regret having it.
    I also had a AD&D through my employer that was a big help.

The amount of ssdi you receive is based ob the amount of work youve had and how much u earned in the past 10 years...to qualify u have to have at leasr 40 quarters of coverage, or #0 full years od work. I think it would apply to u but if u dont qualify, all u xan get is ssi :0(
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    The amount of ssdi you receive is based ob the amount of work youve had and how much u earned in the past 10 years...to qualify u have to have at leasr 40 quarters of coverage, or #0 full years od work. I think it would apply to u but if u dont qualify, all u xan get is ssi :0(
    i don't think it is correct to say it is based on last 10 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by LIP26 View Post
    Yeah, but SSDI maxes out at some number much lower than private disability insurance would. And SSI isn't quite enough to afford food (for one).