Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postinjury Disability Insurance anybody know what the deal is?

Postinjury Disability Insurance anybody know what the deal is?

So I will eventually (unless catastrophe strikes) have a reasonably high paying job which will allow to be able to afford stuff like a house. But what happens if something happens and I cant work any more? It's happened once already, lightning could strike twice.

So could I even get disability insurance? (I am a SCI para)

What's the deal with disability insurance for ABs? I never had enough of a career preinjury to look into it, but I imagine the policies for a lawyer and the guy who stocks shelves at home depot have different benefits (and costs). Is disability insurance like SSDI where they give you enough money to eat and almost enough to put a roof over your head, or are there different levels of insurance?

If I was offered insurance through my employer would I qualify for that, even with a preexisting condition?

All of these decisions are a couple years off for me, so I figured I bounce the ideas around CC for a while and see what you guys and gals think.

Works the same as an AB for me. It's what got me through the past year (long term disability insurance through work).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Large companies and their group insurance plans in America have to let disabled people buy long term disability insurance, but only the very first time you have the chance. The next year when your insurance options come around again, and you sign up for LTD, they'll deny you. So do it when you first get hired and are deciding which plans you want.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

So if I get a job, I assume that the potential disability payment will be somewhat proportional to the income if it is through work, right?

Any idea what kind of proportion of income?
    Like if I had a house I could comfortably afford before would I have to sell all my possessions and move to a seedy motel?

There are a few people here who went through the process of getting LTD benefits. They should see this thread and respond. I think most plans pay 60-80% of earnings, but most probably more near the 60%.

I don't think there is any asset means testing; pretty sure you can be a millionaire and own 12 houses and still collect SSDI and LTD, if you signed up for the latter.

But there's some deal with SSDI - they take out what the LTD is paying you, or vica versa, I can't recall. Let someone better informed answer. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So if I get a job, I assume that the potential disability payment will be somewhat proportional to the income if it is through work, right?

Any idea what kind of proportion of income?
    Like if I had a house I could comfortably afford before would I have to sell all my possessions and move to a seedy motel?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    There are a few people here who went through the process of getting LTD benefits. They should see this thread and respond. I think most plans pay 60-80% of earnings, but most probably more near the 60%.

I don't think there is any asset means testing; pretty sure you can be a millionaire and own 12 houses and still collect SSDI and LTD, if you signed up for the latter.

But there's some deal with SSDI - they take out what the LTD is paying you, or vica versa, I can't recall. Let someone better informed answer. Good luck.

Typically, a group plan pays a percentage of your income and typically they will have the right to force you to file SSDI and can set off for whatever SSDI pays.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

75% here. Working is worth it while you can ... you'll have a better life if something does go wrong and you can't work anymore.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If you are on disability now and go back to work, technically your disability restarts if you have to leave that job for anything related to your prior disability within 60 months. Specifics are spelled out in the "red book" published by social security.

My Short Term Disabilty insurance through my employer denied because of this. I don't know how they did it but they did. So I never paid for it again when I returned to work the second time. It seemed to me it was a waste of money. Others here though have collected I think.

The laws may have changed too as that was in the early 90's when I first returned to work after my accident. I never bothered even applying for Short term after that like RDF said because they could and would have denied me coverage

Be sure you know your policy and you have it in writing.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have LTD disability through work. It is 60% of your income, capped at 8500 a month. If you pay the premiums with taxed income the benefit is not taxed if you collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have LTD disability through work. It is 60% of your income, capped at 8500 a month. If you pay the premiums with taxed income the benefit is not taxed if you collect it.
    Sweet, that is exactly what I wanted to know.