Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jill Kinmont Boothe dies

I am so sorry to hear of this. She was one of my role models way back when, and like so many here I went to see the movie and felt both empowered and angry at the discrimination out there. I went with an AB friend in her car, and we went to what was then one of the rare multi-plexes, meaning a lot of people were in the parking lot when we came out. My friend leaned over as I was attempting a transfer into her car and wispered "you do know they are all looking at you, don't you?" My deepest sympathies to anyone who might have known her personally.

i'm sorry to hear of this. it's so great that she lived a long life. my good friend past away this past september, he was 37, post 22 years. i've seen alot of this and it is heartbreaking.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

I was injured in 1978 and remembered viewing her second movie while recieving Physical Rehabilitation at Rusk in NYC. My parents also saw the movie and then expected great things for me. The vocational rehabilitation counselor at Rusk strongly discouraged me from wanting to become a teacher. She said it would be dangerous to have a teacher in a wheelchair if their was a fire at school as the students wouldn't want to vacate the building if I was trapped by a fire. Years later I applied for a job in a school as a speech lnguage pathologist [speech therapist]. The principal hired me on the spot. He never saw my wheelchair as a problem.

Movies about successful disabled people do make a difference in people's perceptions and expectations of the physically disabled.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I was injured in 1978 and remembered viewing her second movie while recieving Physical Rehabilitation at Rusk in NYC. My parents also saw the movie and then expected great things for me. The vocational rehabilitation counselor at Rusk strongly discouraged me from wanting to become a teacher. She said it would be dangerous to have a teacher in a wheelchair if their was a fire at school as the students wouldn't want to vacate the building if I was trapped by a fire. Years later I applied for a job in a school as a speech lnguage pathologist [speech therapist]. The principal hired me on the spot. He never saw my wheelchair as a problem.

Movies about successful disabled people do make a difference in people's perceptions and expectations of the physically disabled.
    I saw the movie there too!...also became a speech pathologist....hmmmm
    I recall Jill being on TV not too long ago as a singer?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Incredible Lady! I met her in 1998 when my van lost its breaks just outside her hometown. Was in desperate need of a BM (6 days, yikes) & she sent her PCA right over to help at 6:30 am. Her death is humanity's loss. Condolences to her family.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi