Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the proper technique for firing a PCA?

in Texas we have registry checks for CNA's and backgrounds through DPS these are tools some folks have not been caught yet takes a while to earn trust no matter what

You're right. There's no foolproof approach to criminal background checks. Besides that, sometimes people give in to temptation AFTER not having done anything wrong for the first 30 or 40 years of their lives.

Starting with a clean background check is just the first step on the journey to building trust.

There are other things you can do to try to make a wise initial choice. Besides a clear criminal background check. you can check their driving record, ask to see proof of insurance for their car, and current registration and driver's license. If any of those are missing or expired, that is a red flag.

Checking references, MEANINGFUL references, is also a must. Also, hiring people with significant, prior, paid experience as caregivers will make success in hiring more likely.

- Tim

The background checks are a joke. We live on a border state and with people changing names through divorce and marriage it can be hard to catch everything.
    Still, it is better than nothing.
    I keep meds, paperwork, bills and personal info in the spare room that no one has any reason to go into but myself.

Fingerprints are the most foolproof

Hi LindaT -

I agree that background checks that rely upon names are a problem. One reason why we rely upon fingerprints, not names, for background checks is that it's pretty hard for there to be mistakes regarding identity when prints are used with reliable authorities (we use checks through the California DOJ).

Even then, the background checks are only as accurate as the court records upon which they are based, and it's not unheard of for court records to be wrong. In fact, it's pretty common.

All the more reason to look at all the factors that you can think of, and not just criminal background checks, when selecting caregivers. And, as you point out, for gosh sakes keep your valuables and documents in a secure place, where caregivers can't get to them.

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    You can't believe what aides have stolen from us, ranging from the obvious (meds) to the downright bizarre (a blanket, a sheepskin, my clothing). Locking up valuables and meds with a new aide is a must. Also, interview people off site, not at your house. If you don't hire someone, you don't want them to know where you live in case they turn out to be a psycho.
    Good reminder regarding interviewing people off-site. Security wise it is a two-way street. It is safer for them if they are female to be interviewed in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Good reminder regarding interviewing people off-site. Security wise it is a two-way street. It is safer for them if they are female to be interviewed in a public place.
    We had a trusted aide who screened and interviewed away from our home when we needed to find someone new. It was really helpful.
    Then one of the people she thought would be a good fit brought her sister along to our home to meet us which did not offend us one bit.

Be realistic…

Although your PCA says they can work all of these hours. It is not practical and you will begin to run in to a situation where they can't be there within three months or so. I would strongly recommend 2 PCA's… Maybe like weekdays and weekends. Of course, you also want to arrange for a fill-in when you regulars run into problems or need a day off. That has worked for me for five years with little problem.

I keep 2 or 3 for that reason things happen

Quote Originally Posted by TColling View Post
    Hi LindaT -

I agree that background checks that rely upon names are a problem. One reason why we rely upon fingerprints, not names, for background checks is that it's pretty hard for there to be mistakes regarding identity when prints are used with reliable authorities (we use checks through the California DOJ).

Even then, the background checks are only as accurate as the court records upon which they are based, and it's not unheard of for court records to be wrong. In fact, it's pretty common.

All the more reason to look at all the factors that you can think of, and not just criminal background checks, when selecting caregivers. And, as you point out, for gosh sakes keep your valuables and documents in a secure place, where caregivers can't get to them.

- Tim
    everyone who is a child or health care worker in california is bonded, fingerprinted and tested for TB. I was bonded in the late eighties in cali, so were my sisters, and we were only volunteering at a church nursery, but since they ran a day care everyone had to be bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    everyone who is a child or health care worker in california is bonded, fingerprinted and tested for TB. I was bonded in the late eighties in cali, so were my sisters, and we were only volunteering at a church nursery, but since they ran a day care everyone had to be bonded.
    This only applies to RNs, LVNs, CNAs, HHAs, etc. and those who work through agencies or for licensed child care programs. It does not apply to those who work independently as PCAs (or baby sitters). There are no legal requirements like this at all in CA.

(KLD)